Acapulco All questions answered.

Tacos&Beer

La Roquetta is located right next to the cruise terminal basically and is attached to the Pacific ocean so it will be a short drive if that is what you are after.

Coyuca is a Lagoon to be honest stunning moutainous views of the sierra Madre about a 30-40 minute ride from the ship. To me it is worth the drive so much nicer and a few great places to lunch at afterwards as well.

Have been looking on line at Las Brisas.....any comments, suggestions,experience, advice?????

Should we arrange for a driver to meet us at the ship and to give us a city tour while we're there??? Again looking for comments, suggestions, experience, advice.....

Any comments/experience on Aeromexico??

The actual times for the cliff divers are generally 1PM or a special set up for the cruise passengers depending there arrival time to port which may be a bit earlier and the evening shows are as followed 6:30, 7:30, 8:30, 9:30 and the final show is done with torches in hand at 10:30PM.

mmsoko

Las Brisas despite her age is still a stunning property and views that I doubt can be matched in many other places. I have been there numerous times and would highly recommend a stay here.

As far as a tour goes for any 1st time visitor to any city I think you would get more out of it by someone showing you the sites in a professional manner. On cruise stops time is short so unless you really research your destination where you could go it alone confidently I would certainly look to book a city tour.

Hello!

We will be traveling with a fairly large, well traveled group ages 6-65. We'd love to find a great resort in Acapulco that has a lovely pool and beach area. What resorts would you suggest and do they charge for a day pass? We are big eaters/drinkers so we don't mind the fee, however, it would be nice to know which resorts do NOT allow day passes. Lastly, could you let us know how far away they are from the port and approx the best/safest way to get there?

Thanks so much!

Jeanette

Hello!

We will be traveling with a fairly large, well traveled group ages 6-65. We'd love to find a great resort in Acapulco that has a lovely pool and beach area. What resorts would you suggest and do they charge for a day pass? We are big eaters/drinkers so we don't mind the fee, however, it would be nice to know which resorts do NOT allow day passes. Lastly, could you let us know how far away they are from the port and approx the best/safest way to get there?

Thanks so much!

Jeanette

Only a couple of hotels will probably allow guests on a pay-for-the-day basis. Day passes will be the exception rather than the norm. Just as you'll find in any large city - and Acapulco is a large city of overa million inhabitants - traffic is worst during the rush hour. Most of the day, though, it's a breeze. Christmas, New Years and Easter times of the year see congestion all over town, though. So don't let distances bother you. Taxi fares are negotiated, there are no meters. Few if any taxi drivers will quote you rates for regular trips by the hour - from what I've experienced in my almost 30 years vacationing in Acapulco.

The actual times for the cliff divers are generally 1PM or a special set up for the cruise passengers depending there arrival time to port which may be a bit earlier and the evening shows are as followed 6:30, 7:30, 8:30, 9:30 and the final show is done with torches in hand at 10:30PM.

The divers perform at the following times - as of today when I was at La Quebrada and consulted the schedule:

12:45 p.m.

7:30 p.m.

8:30 p.m.

9:30 p.m.

10:30 p.m.

As you've noted, there are specially-timed additional shows to accommodate cruise ship excursions, arrival and departure times, etc. Shows may be cancelled without notice, if weather conditions dictate - such as was the case this evening because it rained hard like it's been raining the entire week.

The show cost is $35.00 pesos - about the equivalent of US$3, a great bargain.

• 1 month later...

We will be in Acapulco the 26th of December and love to walk. Are there any walking maps available and will there be much open in town the day after Christmas? We are particularly interested in walking to the old town square and to the cliff divers. Thank you for any information you can provide.

We will be in Acapulco the 26th of December and love to walk. Are there any walking maps available and will there be much open in town the day after Christmas? We are particularly interested in walking to the old town square and to the cliff divers. Thank you for any information you can provide.

There is a map of the city called Guia-Roji which you could purchase through Amazon for about 10 Dollars. It is pretty good but you will not need it to get to the Town square/Zocalo. It is a fairly short walk about 1/2 mile tops off the ship and to the right will get you there in no time

The cliff divers are a bit further and the hills can be challenging so it is best to cab it up and if you feel like walking back you can about 20-25 min depending on your speed.

Acapulco is always hot & humid, very few cruisers choose to walk. Suggest chartering a taxi for $10/hr and seeing a few of the sights on the map below

For those of you who enjoy walking - and I include myself in that group - I see many cruise ship passengers walking when I'm in Acapulco. Do it if you want.

About those US$10 per hour taxi rides - don't count on finding 1 out of probably 100 drivers who'd ever do that. Not "typical" taxi drivers. Someone might offer you that fare if you agree to a 4 or 5 hour tour, though - and that's the business the few who do that focus on (tours, taking you to markets where they earn commissions, taking you to restaurants where they earn commissions, etc.).

If you want a tour then I suggest you use the services of one of the popularly mentioned tour guides in other discussions here - guides who speak English and who operate professionally. The rates will be less than the peso equivalent of US$10.

@bobnsofi and NYcruiserNY - thank you for your reply to my question. You information is invaluable and we appreciate your input. I think we will cab it to the cliff divers and then stroll back as we love to explore ports on our own. In Mazatlan we hiked to the top of El Faro and then all around the older part of town. Awesome time.

In Mazatlan we hiked to the top of El Faro and then all around the older part of town.

WOW! you must hike!, very few cruisers would hike to "the top of El Faro and then all around the older part of town" in Mazatlan. Seems for you Acapulco should be a stroll in the park

• 2 weeks later...

The Zocalo is the town square so to speak. There are at times some entertainment in the gazebo there and also many shops that sell the usual touristy items although good souvenirs or gifts for family.

It is a walkable trip from the cruise terminal on the main road Costera Miguel Aleman. There is a good little Pizza/Italian joint called Mi Piaci that I like to stop in for a good Meatball Panini sandwich or if you are in the mood for Al Pastor next door is El Kiosko which is also very good and inexpensive.

And in regards to safe yes I would have no issue walking this route as I have done it with family many times so have a good time.

Does anyone know anything about Majahua Beach by the Mayan Palace Hotel ? We would like a white sand calm water beach and this one may be a good choice.

There are no "white sand" beaches in Acapulco, or along the Pacific Coast in that region that I'm aware of. The beach near the Mayan Palace is directly on the Pacific Ocean, as compared to a bay-protected beach, and, therefore, the wave action is often rough and dangerous for swimmers.

Does anyone know anything about Majahua Beach by the Mayan Palace Hotel ? We would like a white sand calm water beach and this one may be a good choice.

While this beach faces the open ocean and is not on the bay it still is a very swimmable beach. Most commonly refered as Playa Revolcadero between the Princess Hotel and the Mayan properties the sand while not white still is must less coarse then the sand around the bay and most certainly lighter in color as well.

As I do not usually stay at these resorts I tend to visit Play Bonfil about 3/4 to a mile further down where you can visit numerous beachfront restaurants with pools to relax a few hours and enjoy the surf. You can rent Quads here or wave runners as well as boogie boards and most of these restaurants have hammocks if you just want to relax.

The beach is considered one of the most dangerous to swim at, in all of Acapulco. It's not uncommon, unusual to read of people who drown while swimming there. There's no white sand there so if that's what you're looking for don't go. There are other, safer beaches in Acapulco. Of course, if you're an adventure tourist who enjoys taking risks greater than the average tourist/person, then by all means it's a place you may enjoy. It's not an easy beach to reach by public transport, but a taxi will get you there for maybe MX$300. Getting a taxi to take you back may be a bit more difficult.

Archived