Star Refurb---This just in

trudib

[quote name='crusdiva']

The best use I ever saw of MUTS was on our first cruise on the Caribbean Princess in 2004 - just one month after it's deployment. Cruise Director Paul O'Loughlin used the MUTS pool area for Island Night Party and it was the best Island Night I'd ever seen. Robert Smith and the band were on a raised stage, the CD staff was below dancing with the passengers, the Princess videographers were panning the festivies and it was all being shown on the MUTS screen. Everyone, including the wait-staff loved seeing themselves on the big screen. That was a fabulous evening and though I've sailed the CB 3 times since then I've never seen another Island Night Party at the MUTS pool.
I've often wondered why.[/QUOTE]

We had the deck party at the muts pool on CB in January. Much better than at the terrace pool like we've expderienced in the past.

[quote name='DanJ']I'm still not sure what the big controversy is. It's not like there is only one pool. Sure, if you happen to like *that* particular pool, it's an inconvenience. But obviously they have enough positive response to muts that they feel like spending the cash to retrofit other ships with it.
[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=indigo]But that's just the point, there effectively is no other pool -- on [I]Grand[/I]-class ships, the now-MUTS pool is the only outdoor pool in full sun all day long. Plus, as GoodasGold has pointed out, that's the pool with the "energy" -- where the band plays, where the pool games are, where people-watching is at its best, and where the classic noises of being poolside on a ship can be best enjoyed. Show a stupid Tina Turner concert or inane G-rated movie and that whole ambiance is gone. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='rdsqrl'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=indigo]But that's just the point, there effectively is no other pool -- on [I]Grand[/I]-class ships, the now-MUTS pool is the only outdoor pool in full sun all day long. Plus, as GoodasGold has pointed out, that's the pool with the "energy" -- where the band plays, where the pool games are, where people-watching is at its best, and where the classic noises of being poolside on a ship can be best enjoyed. Show a stupid Tina Turner concert or inane G-rated movie and that whole ambiance is gone. [/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black]Agreed - the mega-Grand Class ships that have MUTS built in are designed so that you can have the same poolside experience with or without MUTS. The original Grand Class trio does not have that advantage. If they don't put MUTS at the midship pool, they have to take out the conservatory and the covered pool to get it in. That's also a bad idea. Maybe they should just hang the darn thing from under Skywalkers on these ships...that was the original intent anyway.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black]I realize that everyone has their personal choice of how to spend a vacation and for some people, sitting in front of a TV all day long is the way to do it. But by adding MUTS to the ships not built for it, Princess has effectively taken away some of the choice, not added to it. And for ships that sail in cold waters, it seems like a waste of money.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[URL="http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2742248610046097424xDKDNS"][IMG]http://inlinethumb13.webshots.com/41036/2742248610046097424S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL="http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2898897230046097424yZTuCJ"]Star in dry dock San Fran and view of MUTS install[IMG]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/21073/2898897230046097424S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Thanks C&J

[quote name='bdjam'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black]Agreed - the mega-Grand Class ships that have MUTS built in are designed so that you can have the same poolside experience with or without MUTS. The original Grand Class trio does not have that advantage. If they don't put MUTS at the midship pool, they have to take out the conservatory and the covered pool to get it in. That's also a bad idea. Maybe they should just hang the darn thing from under Skywalkers on these ships...that was the original intent anyway.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black]I realize that everyone has their personal choice of how to spend a vacation and for some people, sitting in front of a TV all day long is the way to do it. But by adding MUTS to the ships not built for it, Princess has effectively taken away some of the choice, not added to it. And for ships that sail in cold waters, it seems like a waste of money.[/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=indigo]Thank you for agreeing with me and all the excellent points you make as well. I know I can always count on you to share my low opinion of MUTS and what it represents -- no less than the decline of Western civilization. We should cruise together some day and sit around harrumphing at how things would be much better if only we were in charge. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=purple][B]No, as I said, when I typed my post about the Wet dock vs. Dry dock, I had just been hearing someone on the tv news discussing it. It wasn't until I read further into the thread that I saw it was a DRY dock.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Crown Prince'][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]You obviously have not been following this thread.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[B][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=purple]I like *that* particular pool[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]. :rolleyes: [B][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]Oh, well. It wouldn't stop me from sailing on the beautiful Star again. I might actually enjoy MUTS at [I]night[/I].[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [/B] [COLOR="Purple"][I][B]But, I refuse to like it during the day. [/B]:([/I][/COLOR]

[quote name='DanJ']Even in daylight, the stars are still up there, we just don't see them LOL. So, movies under the stars still applies.

I'm still not sure what the big controversy is. It's not like there is only one pool. Sure, if you happen to like *that* particular pool, it's an inconvenience. But obviously they have enough positive response to muts that they feel like spending the cash to retrofit other ships with it.

I agree the retrofit isn't exactly pretty, but then again, most modern cruise ships aren't all that pretty either[/quote]

I loved the deck party on the main pool deck. This was the way the Sun did it. Much more centrally located. I've sailed on the Star and the Golden and both had them on the terrace pool deck. Too far back and away from the action.

We had the deck party at the muts pool on CB in January. Much better than at the terrace pool like we've expderienced in the past.

Yep, that's exactly right. I'm glad you understand what I'm trying to point out. I just wish Princess would! :( Or other passengers who think MUTS belongs there.

But that's just the point, there effectively is no other pool -- on Grand-class ships, the now-MUTS pool is the only outdoor pool in full sun all day long. Plus, as GoodasGold has pointed out, that's the pool with the "energy" -- where the band plays, where the pool games are, where people-watching is at its best, and where the classic noises of being poolside on a ship can be best enjoyed. Show a stupid Tina Turner concert or inane G-rated movie and that whole ambiance is gone.

Count me in on that! ;)

Thank you for agreeing with me and all the excellent points you make as well. I know I can always count on you to share my low opinion of MUTS and what it represents -- no less than the decline of Western civilization. We should cruise together some day and sit around harrumphing at how things would be much better if only we were in charge.

Something does not ring true here. San Francisco, where the work is to be done, has always been a strong union town. In addition, BAE Systems, who will be doing the work, has a unionized workforce. I can't believe that foreign workers would be involved in this project.

Rick

Last time I checked, Unions love illegal aliens as they are easy to organized and don't have much room to complain. The UAW was a big lobby for the recent failed Immigration (Not an Amnesty) Bill.

I don't get what all the fuss is about. I have been on both with and without MUTS and rarely use the MUTS pool. Personally the aft and forward pools are much more pleasent to sit by and in during the day and are less crowded too. And the sound system with MUTS is designed not to encrouch into other areas.

I personally am glad to see them adding it to the Grand Class ships as well as the other changes so that the fleet can be more consistant.

I don't get what all the fuss is about. I have been on both with and without MUTS and rarely use the MUTS pool. Personally the aft and forward pools are much more pleasent to sit by and in during the day and are less crowded too. And the sound system with MUTS is designed not to encrouch into other areas.

I personally am glad to see them adding it to the Grand Class ships as well as the other changes so that the fleet can be more consistant.

The forward and aft pools are your preference, not necessarily everyone's. Depending on the ship you've been on with MUTS, your experience with it may be different than what you're describing. I'll admit I've not been on any - although I will be giving the thing a try on Star Princess - but my understanding from posts here is that its much more intrusive on Grand and Sea Princess than it is on the ships that were originally built for it - and unfortunately the set up on Star Princess will mirror that of Grand Princess.

... but my understanding from posts here is that its much more intrusive on Grand and Sea Princess than it is on the ships that were originally built for it...

DH and I saw the newly-installed MUTS screen on the Sea Princess when she was docked beside us at a Caribbean port. The ship has such exquisite lines that the outdoor movie screen seemed grossly out of place, imo. If memory serves, I think there was an attempt to overcome the enormous distraction to some passengers by issuing headsets to those who wanted to watch/listen to whatever was featured on MUTS. Still, one cannot be in the vicinity of the huge screen without noticing it - sound or no sound.

Chris

I found this interesting about the Star retrofit in Seattle.

http://www.portseattle.org/news/

<H1>News

Last Update: September 30, 2008

Princess Donates furniture to Seattle-area Charity

Princess Cruises donated surplus furniture to Seattle's Union Gospel Mission. The Star Princess was in Seattle for a retrofit and provided two truckloads of chairs, tables and couches. The Union Gospel Mission serves the needs of Seattle's homeless community.

</H1>

tucson rick.....i so agree with you! i'm almost fed up with this thread.

if a person likes muts, sail on princess. if you don't like muts, choose another cruiseline. it seems so simple. why waste all this energy on something you can't change? i'm sure i'll get slammed for this opinion.

are you planning to review your cruise?

thanks.

david

It appears that this thread has been highjacked. This started as a discussion of what improvements/renovations might or might not be done to the Star, not just a discussion of MUTS. Can we get back on topic?

Rick

Wow...MUTS is one of those renovations (not necessarily an improvement) I thought. Perhaps you might suggest what we should discuss? Anyone see any changes forward for Sanctuary?

Archived