questions about sy rooms on westerdam

the col.

thank you soooo much for those of you who answered my 1st few questions--I have a few more--we have a guarnteed sy room ,does that really mean that we won't be assigned any lower?are the sy/ss rooms permitted use of this special area called the neptune area--the agent stated that there would be a better than 50/50 chance we might get moved from a sy--to a ss--or even to sc,sb cabin -is he telling us the truth===this is great source of info for those of us who know so very little about this ship or being on a cruise--thanking you in advance for all of your great help---any special tips you like to pass along to this ARMY GUY would be so helpful==the col.---our cruise is in mid-nov.

thank you soooo much for those of you who answered my 1st few questions--I have a few more--we have a guarnteed sy room ,does that really mean that we won't be assigned any lower?are the sy/ss rooms permitted use of this special area called the neptune area--the agent stated that there would be a better than 50/50 chance we might get moved from a sy--to a ss--or even to sc,sb cabin -is he telling us the truth===this is great source of info for those of us who know so very little about this ship or being on a cruise--thanking you in advance for all of your great help---any special tips you like to pass along to this ARMY GUY would be so helpful==the col.---our cruise is in mid-nov.

Hi and welcome to Cruise Critic and the HAL board.

If you hold an SY guarantee you cannot be assigned to a lower cabin category.

The only cabins that have Neptune Lounge privileges and "real" suite amenities are PS, SA, SB and SC.

We had an Sz guar and were upgraded at no cost to an SC on the stern of Westerdam in 2006.

The chances of an upgrade depend of the number of late bookers who request an SY, the actual numbers of SY cabins on the ship,( the fewer SY cabins, the greater chance of uprade) and some other unknowns. Out of 3 guarantee bookings, we have gotten 2 upgrades. We now hold an SC guarantee for April on Eurodam.

Even if you stay in an SY, you will be spoiled for life as you will not want anything lower. The bathrooms have a double sink vanity and an extra shower stall. You will have mini-suite privileges such as telephone concierge, free DVD rental, larger fluffier towels.

You won't get an assignment until after final payment is made, and then, probably not until 21 days out or later. Our earliest was 27 days out.

At that point start checking HAL's website under "for booked guests"/ enter your 6 digit booking number on the check-in screen. If they have given you a cabin it will show up under your name at the top of the page or just say "GUAR" (no assignement yet).

When you get your documents they may say "SY0" which means "no cabin yet".

Good luck, I hope the Upgrade fairy visits you.

GN

I think 50/50 is too high an estimate ... although there are those on this forum that believe first-timers have a better chance of an upgrade than repeats. I don't believe that the date you made final payment would have any effect on upgrade chances.

Is this you first cruise ever, or just first on HAL? If you've cruised before, what other lines? (Just so that we can give tell you similarities and differences.)

Okay, I'll kick it off with a few classic things we tell newbies: don't miss the famous bread pudding at lunch time. If you go to the Pinnacle Grille be sure to try the chocolate volcano cake. Try the chilled berry soups in the dining room. Try the unique flavors of ice cream every day.

In the dining room you can order multiples of anything, or send anything back that you don't like and choose something else. In the Pinnacle Grill, though, only one entree pp.

For in-room breakfasts, you can write-in items that aren't on the card you hang on the door ... such as eggs benedict ... but they're really better if you go to the Lido and have them made to order. On Vista ships (of which the Westerdam is one) about 6 kinds are offered every day, but only on the serving line on one side.

You can bring aboard as much wine as you like for in-room consumption, but if you take it to a dining room there will be a $15 corkage charge. There are wine cards available (10 glass and 20 glass) that will save you some money if house wines will suffice. Also there are coffee, soda, and cocktail cards. If you're interested in any of those, ask us for prices.

You are not allowed to bring on hard liquor or beer ... although in recent months some ships have let beer pass. You can bring on as much soda and bottled water as you like.:)

With the title that you have on this thread you might not attract as many responses as you would with something with "newbie" in the title. I suggest you come up with a few specific questions and start another thread. :D

Also, have you found and joined your Roll Call yet?

my last cruise if you can call it that ====was on a troop ship to vietnam in 1966--hope this turns out to be somewhat better--hoping some of you really smart folks can help me with some true insider info=thanks the col.

Thanks for serving our country, Colonel. My DH was right there in Nam with you for two tours.

And, no, your last cruise wasn't at all like HAL. HAL's room service is much better....lol.

thank you for your words--do you have any good inside info that will help me and my better half of 38 years --thanks --the C.

My husband and I just came back from our first cruise and we were in SY 6063. It was booked as an SZ guarantee. We were on the Westerdam to Alaska. I had read these boards faithfully before we left and these are some of the tips I wanted to pass onto you. My husband and I are not into formals (I could do them but DH has to dress business for work so doesn't care to do so on vacation). So what we did is checked out the dinner menu (it is posted outside the DR on both levels). If there was something we were particularly interested in on the dining room menu - a dessert or one of the famous chilled soups - we just called up room service during dinner hours and ordered it for our room. It worked out perfectly. We just watched one of our complimentary DVD's while dining and enjoyed a relaxing evening. We watched four or five DVD's while on board so definitely take advantage of the complimentary DVD's. Also, I signed up for the Culinary class as soon as we boarded on Sunday (if you're interested make sure you sign up right away as the class is small). I believe the cost is $30 but the class lasts almost two hours and three menu items are prepared from the dining room menu for the evening. Then you can enjoy eating what you've prepared! We made the chocolate volcano cake - deadly! You also receive a cooking apron to keep. Also, make sure you fill out the online registration. We were in line behind someone who had nothing filled out and that holds things up. We also came prepared with the patch for seasickness and were glad we did! That's all I can think of right at the moment but I can answer any questions!:D

diane

we made the final payment the day i booked the cruise --does that help or better our chaces for a upgrade--thank you for your time any other insider info you could assist us with? the col.:)

If your cruise falls anytime near a birthday or an anniversary, tell your travel agent and HAL will provide a small celebration in the dining room for you on a night you choose. We took HAL's renewal of Vows package for our 25th even though it was a month before sailing. This included flowers, champaigne and hors d'ouerve reception (with the 5 other couples) ceremony, pictures, certificate and album, and a dinner in the Pinnacle Grill. It now costs $149 but we're going to repeat it on Eurodam for our 30th. HAL does this very, very well. We invited 3 guests at $12.50 pp.

Don't miss the complimentary hot and cold hors d'ouerves in the lounges before dinner. The Crow's nest with its' wonderful loungers, overlooking the bow is a wonderful place to experience sailaways.

If you have anything specific that you want to know, just ask.

Oh, the mini-bar is not free, you will be charged for anything you use out of the refrigerator.

"You have not because you ask not." This applies to HAL to a fault. Even if your request feels silly, ask, HAL rarely says "NO" Do try the complimentary room service breakfast on your veranda. Breakfast is wonderful looking out to sea. If the upgrade fairy gives you a real suite, you are invited to complimentary breakfast every morning at the Pinnacle Grill.

I could go on forever... but

GN

thanks for some really great info--another couple of dumb questions==may guys sign up for this neat sounding cooking class?how do we do that?what the difference in SZ--SY--SS--the next step up is REAL--SUITES--IS THAT CORRECT==does anyone ever get that big of a upgrade? thanks to everyone who is taking the time to answer my stupid new guy questions--the newbie--the c.--thanks==

thanks for some really great info--another couple of dumb questions==may guys sign up for this neat sounding cooking class?how do we do that?
Guys absolutely may! In the class I took there were 7 men and 5 women! Two of them were professional chefs. ASAP after boarding go to the Front Desk, look at the recipes that will be done in each class, choose one, and pay $29. Most classes will do two recipes (one entree and one salad/side/soup/dessert) and last 60 to 90 minutes.

what the difference in SZ--SY--SS--the next step up is REAL--SUITES--IS THAT CORRECT==does anyone ever get that big of a upgrade? thanks to everyone who is taking the time to answer my stupid new guy questions--the newbie--the c.--thanks==

Sure, many people have been upgraded into SA/SB/SC Deluxe suites from SS/SY/SZ Superior. The only real difference between the steps in each group is location. The difference between groups is the size of the cabins and the amenities given. The Superior get personalized stationery and "telephone concierge service", but that's about all. The Deluxe get access to the Netune Lounge and about a dozen other extras.

Don't apologize for asking questions! We were all the "stupid new guy" once. :)

Culinary classes: Oh, definitely men come..ours was 1/2 men. Do sign up early though and if you're told they're booked, ask to be wait-listed. I did just that and did get a call saying I could come. That class is lots of fun. Each person has a little job (beating eggs, chopping vegetables, pouring wine, etc.) We booked an SY and were upgraded to an SS (same type of cabin, but 2 decks higher). Buy some generic Bonine at your local drugstore just in case you have rough seas. The "verandah" is very worth the extra money. I've not known of anyone who was upgraded to a "real" suite if they booked either an SS or an SY, but my experience is limited. We found the main dining room (all meals) to be much more enjoyable, quieter, easier to be seated, etc. than the Lido, but only the Lido had real freshly squeezed orange juice and the above mentioned bread pudding. Our travel agent knew it was our anniversary, so the maitre' d brought a small chocolate cake one night after our dinner. You can use the wine cards at dinner in the main dining room and as John said, if house wine will suffice (we found it totally acceptable) it's a bargain to take that route than bring bottles of your own and pay the corkage fee. You will find the beds wonderful. There will be a card on your desk inquiring if you would like a variety of fresh fruit. If you happen to take advantage of room service, it does come fresh and hot and a tip is appreciated. I bought just a day pass ($40?) to the hydropool and enjoyed that and was there totally alone during a port day. We found HAL's optional excursions to be quality.

Welcome aboard, Colonel. You are soon to enjoy one of life’s biggest pleasures. Hopefully your travel agent informed you of your dining time/type options. My DW and I have always preferred late seating, as you never have to rush to dinner after a day ashore. Not that we get off the ship that much anyway. We cruise for (just to mention one) the dining pleasure. And that includes the opportunity to dine with others throughout the cruise. We also always try to get a table for eight. Because the late seating is the last of the evening you are not rushed to leave and can enjoy getting to know your tablemates. That is a wonderful experience. Relax and Bon Appétit.

Speaking of food, breakfast on the veranda is real nice. Have some mimosas and have a great day of doing everything or nothing.

Ryan

PS My first cruise was also on a troop ship to VN in 1966.

Email me if you’d like re that ship. Maybe we were cruise mates.

rjkelley1@comcast.net

Archived