My Majesty Review 9/6

scrinchy

O.K. I'm not a writer so I'll just jump right in.

Embarkation was kind of messy due to the remnants of Hurricane Hannah. Registration had to be moved into the ship and slowed things down a bit but was virtually painless.

The ship- Our cabin was low and inside. There was plenty of room for our clothers and the cabin was clean and well kept by our wonderful cabin stewards Rolando and Abel.

The pool area was larger than I expected. There are two pools with a bar at each end. Instead of lounges there are tables and chairs around the pool deck. You just have to search a little to find an empty table. Deck 11 has lounge chairs for sun bathing. Our only complaint was the lack of restrooms in the pool area. There are only two unisex restrooms so you had to go down to the next deck or up a deck to find a decent restroom.

The shows- We enjoyed the shows and the comedian and ventriloquist were funny and entertaining. There were many comments overheard about how they could be funny without being raunchy. We also enjoyed Chantz Powell. He is a very talented performer. He sings, taps and plays the trumpet. He really reminds you of Sammy Davis Jr.

We ate in all restaurants except the pasta cafe. We enjoyed the food for the most part and feel that the food in the Seven Seas and Four Seasons was just as good as in Le Bistro. We never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a table and this was usually 8:00 or later. Our only disappointment was the dress code in Seven Seas. Not only did they allow shorts, but there was a couple wearing bathing suits with cover-ups baseball caps and sunglasses. Did it affect the food? No, but it does change the ambience for those of us looking for a fine dining experience. It's sort of like dressing up to eat at McDonalds. We ate the rest of our meals in the Four Seasons and once in Le Bistro.

Bermuda- This was my third trip to Bermuda and fifth for DH. I just love Bermuda. There is no reason to feel you have to take an excursion as you can do just about everthing on your own. The bus and ferry system is extremely efficient and the people of Bermuda are the most friendly and patient islanders we have ever met. They will go out of their way to help you get to your destination. When we arrived on Monday we took the bus to the Swizzler Inn and we had a very good lunch with a pitcher of Rum Swizzlers, yummmm. We then returned to town and toured St George on our own. On Tuesday we hooked up with our new friend Pat and walked to Tobacco Bay Beach. It took about 20 minutes but it was worth the walk. The beach was beautiful and the snorkeling was good. On Wednesday we met Pat again and headed off to the Dock Yards and the Snorkle Park. The park is free and the snorkeling was fantastic. Next time we will leave earlier for the Dock Yards and spend more time sight seeing. The ship left early on Thursday, so we just made this our shopping day. I just wish we had a few more hours in Bermuda.

Embarkation- Since we live in Philly there was no reason to rush off the ship. We waited until the last minute which made it easy to find our luggage as most of the luggage was already gone. I can't wait to start planning my next cruise. I will be on the Majesty in October and I'm looking forward to another great time!

Thank you, thank you, all information greatly appreciated. We're on the Canada sailing just before you.

You're welcome! I forgot to include that we had the romance package. When we got to our cabin, there were two plates of delicious chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of champagne. We also had a bottle of wine from our travel agent. If you book the anniversary package you also get a dinner at LeBistro and you get a bottle of wine with dinner and a cake. There is also a wine and cake party where you have a picture taken for free or you can have $10.00 off any other photo. It was well worth the extra $.

Scrinchy... only "1" pitcher of Swizzles? how on earth did you do that? my gawd... i think we did eleven and cabbed our way back to the ship... (but have found a website to order alllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the swizzle inn ingredients... so every weekend here is like a weekend at the Swizzle Inn ...cept cheaper... lol) great review.. The Majesty is my fav ship.. and loved her run out of Boston for those many years..

Weary

Scrinchy... only "1" pitcher of Swizzles? how on earth did you do that? my gawd... i think we did eleven and cabbed our way back to the ship... (but have found a website to order alllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the swizzle inn ingredients... so every weekend here is like a weekend at the Swizzle Inn ...cept cheaper... lol) great review.. The Majesty is my fav ship.. and loved her run out of Boston for those many years..

Weary

LOL, I don't know how we managed that either! Hubby is a beer drinker and I didn't think I could drink another on my own. As it was we missed the bus when we were talking to another couple and we all just watched as it picked up a passenger and drove on by. I think we had sun stroke or something:)

maybe it was just bad conch fritters and not the swizzle pitcher huh? lol lotsa great memories there.... glad you buys had the opportunity to sail her.. im really gonna miss that old barge...

I'm sailing her again next month. I can't wait. How did you know we had the conch fritters? I guess you can't go there and not try them. I just hope we have a ship in Philly in 2010.

Scrinchy - how funny is this - I'll bet you were at the Swizzle Inn the same time as DH and me. So sorry we didn't get to meet you.

We didn't see the shorts issue - never ended up eating dinner at Seven Seas. I agree with you though - I prefer when the ships enforce their own dress code.

Looking forward to hearing about your October trip - wish I were you. How great to be able to sail on Majesty two months in a row!

bjohio- The Swizzle Inn is about 15 minutes by bus. It is within walking distance to to caves. The bus is very easy and conveninent to use. If you don't want to buy a bus pass you can just get tokens.

KatWag- I'm sure we were probably sipping our swizzles at the same time. Don't you just love Bermuda? I know we won't be able to make it back next year, but I'm hoping to go again in 2010. I just hope there will be another ship going out of Philadelphia.

Thanks for writing the review, scrinchy! I'm really excited...next week! Yippee! :D If any Philly cruisers find out about any 2010 ships sailing from this very convenient port let us know!

Hopefully the Port Of Philadelphia will have a better solution on long term Parking. Arrived at the Port at 1030 and finally was allowed to park our car at 1145 on 9/13. Complete chaos with 75 cars waiting in line. They should seek some guidance from Cape Liberty, Red Hook Brooklyn or Baltimore.

Hopefully the Port Of Philadelphia will have a better solution on long term Parking. Arrived at the Port at 1030 and finally was allowed to park our car at 1145 on 9/13. Complete chaos with 75 cars waiting in line. They should seek some guidance from Cape Liberty, Red Hook Brooklyn or Baltimore.

Must be the same people that run the parking lots at the Wachovia Center! What time do you think we should get there tomorrow?

Must be the same people that run the parking lots at the Wachovia Center! What time do you think we should get there tomorrow?

You are permitted to park in the secure lot after all cars from the previous

cruise have departed. I would strongly suggest to drop off your luggage with a passenger at the checkin building around 1130 and have the driver of the vehicle proceed to the parking area which is about a 1 block distance. A trolly would be avaiable to bring the driver back to the check-in building. A payment for parking is due when you remove your car from the lot at the end of your cruise. Also, if your staying in a suite or a VIP Gold/Plat Lattitudes member, inform the port checkin staff and you will be removed out of the line and the process will be expedited. We spent about 7 mins inside the buiding from security until boarding the Majesty :)

Can you tell me if they have a spa pass for the day/week? First time on the Majesty and I am not sure how big their spa is? Does it have its own pool, loungers, steam room? I plan on getting a massage, but would like to take advantage of the other features, if available. Thank you for you review, I can't wait to get on the ship 10/4th. :)

We are leaving later this fall, but have a few questions about the port. and embarkation process.

We will not be parking, but will have someone drop us off. Is the luggage drop off well marked and is it close to where we need to process aboard? Are there signs for Gold Latitude members, or will we need to ask someone?

How long did it take to get the luggage delivered to your stateroom? were the booze police vigorous in their inspection of checked luggage?

TIA for the information.

We are leaving later this fall, but have a few questions about the port. and embarkation process.

We will not be parking, but will have someone drop us off. Is the luggage drop off well marked and is it close to where we need to process aboard? Are there signs for Gold Latitude members, or will we need to ask someone?

How long did it take to get the luggage delivered to your stateroom? were the booze police vigorous in their inspection of checked luggage?

TIA for the information.

Cruise terminal personnel will direct you to drive to the waterfront to unload luggage. Depending on your arrival, there could be a delay as they hold cars until space opens up in front of the terminal. The good thing: you'll get a great view of the ship before you start the boarding process.

Platinum Latitudes members don't have to wait in line, which sometimes snakes outside the door. Before you line up for processing, you may have to be seated for a time. Once inside, we found no express check in service offered for other Latitudes members. :(

We arrived at the terminal around 1pm and it took about an hour to 90-minutes for us to board. At least our stateroom was ready and our bags were there within minutes. I'd recommend a 10:30a arrival.

Friends of ours had no problem taking soft drinks aboard. Same thing with rum, etc., which had been stored in non-breakable and unmarked containers.

Hope this helps. Bon Voyage!

Can you tell me if they have a spa pass for the day/week? First time on the Majesty and I am not sure how big their spa is? Does it have its own pool, loungers, steam room? I plan on getting a massage, but would like to take advantage of the other features, if available. Thank you for you review, I can't wait to get on the ship 10/4th. :)

Bad news: No whirlpool or heated loungers.

Good news: Steam rooms are free to use.

Majesty to Bermuda…9/20/08

Let me start by telling you all that this was my first NCL cruise, but my 37th since 5/86 and I am not in the travel business. We are Celebrity/RCCL people!!!.....some of the reviews I read prior to sailing made me wonder why I was making the mistake of sailing w/NCL and esp. on the Majesty….I am glad I tried her for myself!!!!!

SHIP: loved everything about her….her size was perfect…being small she held the rough seas very well…she was older but I found her to be well maintained and most charming

CABIN: 907...upgrade..from larger outside…size was perfect…the bed was most comfortable…the bathroom was a great size…loved all the windows in the living room area and the window in the bedroom area…the attendants were excellent, kept the ice buckets and towels refreshed often…first cabin that was an excellent temp…I am always warm and can never get a cabin that gets cool enough, but this cabin was perfect and we did not have her as cold as she could be set....have had the FAMILY suite and JR suites on RCCL Explorer, Majesty and Voyager and a SKY suite on the Constellation as well as several balcony cabins but have never had one cool enough for me…I keep the AC @ 69 at home and heat at 63 during the day and 58 at night, so you know how important COOL is to me…my husband wears 1-2 flannel shirts most of the time esp. in the winter

FOOD/SERVICE…free style is for us…..don’t know how the servers managed in the dining rooms, since they were always turning the tables over as soon as they were cleaned…if you have 2 seatings, you know there will be 2 rushes and be able to control serving at each tables…sometimes we got our courses in the wrong order, but who cares….someone cooked it, served it and cleaned up after we were through and IT WASN’T ME!!! The serves kept on apologizing for this but we just smiled and said….WE ARE ON VACATION AND ARE IN NO HURRY!!! ….we wait for food when we go out to eat in NJ so what’s the issue if we wait a few minutes for such an outstanding meal when we are on vacation?....as for flip flops in the dining rooms, I couldn’t tell you what people were wearing and I didn’t care!....what you wear has no impact on my vacation or meal whatsoever!!!....one night we ate outside and we were so comfortable in our dressed down clothes but eating dressed up food!!!!

ENTERTAINMENT….usually don’t do the shows, but the cruise director JOHN, was the best...don’t miss SAM the comedian and esp. SYLVIA the ventriloquist….don’t miss the crew talent show that was one of the finest ideas ever!!!!

OVERALL…. I’m at the “Elite” level with Celebrity and the “Diamond” level with Royal Caribbean and found this service to be far superior…everyone was so friendly yet remained professional….we have already booked the Majesty for next year and are sorry she is leaving the fleet….we are sailing the EXPLORER on 12/12 from Bayonne and I am sorry we are not going on the DAWN from NY…..I am sold on NCL after just 1 cruise!!!....we did not dock at the main dock, but they explained they were doing maintenance—we found out/witnessed them working on the lifeboats and I am comfortable knowing the life boats are fit to run GOD FORBID if needed

We met up with the Cruise Critic group and want to thank MARY for doing a wonderful job in organizing everything!!!! We also had dinner on the last night and they had no problem seating/serving 22 of us in the Seven Seas.

If you want charm, cleanliness, excellent service and outstanding service, give the Majesty a try…and don’t forget…she’s the only one offering 3 overnights in Bermuda!!!!

Archived