Is flying from SFO to San Diego on July 3 2009 a bad idea?

margbem

Because July 3 2009 is a public holiday would it be very difficult to fly from San Francisco (or one of it's nearby regional airports) to San Diego on that day? Would it be very busy on the roads, expensive to fly etc? We once arrived in SFO on the eve of a public holiday - that was Thursday July 2nd too - and driving from SFO to Glen Ellen in Sonoma Valley took ages! Thanks for any advice on travelling around July 4th!!

PS. We're English!

you may need to book flights early for the best price--friday is always difficult. try southwest air--and keep checking for when it starts booking.

the roads in and out of SF will be crowded on a friday--but if you have patience--it is doable. summer is always crowded in sf

good luck

Because July 3 2009 is a public holiday would it be very difficult to fly from San Francisco (or one of it's nearby regional airports) to San Diego on that day? Would it be very busy on the roads, expensive to fly etc? We once arrived in SFO on the eve of a public holiday - that was Thursday July 2nd too - and driving from SFO to Glen Ellen in Sonoma Valley took ages! Thanks for any advice on travelling around July 4th!!

PS. We're English!

Be careful, just remember what we are celebrating on the 4th - Something about kicking some English butt ;) When making reservations, disguise your voice!

(sorry, couldn't help myself):D

I drove south out of SF once before on a three day weekend, 85 mph bumper to bumper on I-5 for 150 miles, wouldn't want to do that again. Flying should be fine (remember to disguise your voice, ooop, there I go again).

Thanks everyone!

Pulledporky - because we come from the north of England I don't think I need to disguise my voice because some folk from the USA seem to think we are speaking English with a foreign accent!!!!

We have always been made so welcome when visiting the States - you have a wonderful country!!

Airline traffic will be very light on July 3rd between the Bay Area and So Cal. Since the 4th falls on Saturday, the 3rd will be a holiday for most businesses. Most weekday air travel up and down the coast is business travel so that won't be happening on the 3rd. Leisure flyers will probably travel Thursday night, or will drive to save money.

It's a 10 hour drive on fast but boring Interstate 5. Add 3-6 hours for a more scenic and leisurely trip.

Fares are going to be similar to the day before Thanksgiving. Which is about $150 for the one-way, and about $80 dollars for the return depending on your return date.

You're best bet for a good price for this route is going to be Virgin America or Southwest.

• 1 month later...

Having done it both ways, I can tell you that flying should not be difficult from the Bay Area airports to San Diego before a holiday. Driving, however, is a crapshoot as going through LA is unpredictable. If you do choose to drive and are with someone, consider going through LA on the San Diego Freeway (405) instead of the combination of the Golden State Freeway and the Santa Ana Freeway (5) The reason for the suggestion is because the part of 405 that is in LA county has segments with carpool lanes, two is a carpool down there and the lanes are not crowded.:D

I would fly down as it is only an hour or so flight. But if you are comfortable with driving on the 'wrong' side of the road in bumper to bumper traffic who am I to tell you what to do :rolleyes:. I think driving out of San Francisco and going thru Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, on either the 5 or the 101*, and then onto San Diego would be a nightmare IMHO. Because it is a three-day weekend lots of people will be on the move.

The San Diego airport is a 5-10 minute cab ride from the port. FYI, if you fly Southwest--there is only one class of seat and they do not have assigned seating. You can get your boarding pass no more than 24hrs ahead of time and are assigned a position in line. They do not charge for the first two checked bags. I LOVE flying on Southwest. The website is southwest dot com.

*The intersection of the 405 and 101 freeways is one of the most crowded in the country.

Have a great trip! Planning is half the fun:D

Archived