global rental phone

conderost

Try a web search for GSM unlocked Cell phone. You can buy one for a very reasonable price and when you arrive in Europe virtually every airport has a shop where you can buy a "rechargable" sim card for the phone. It will give you a local number and you simply buy time for it. Also it is usually MUCH cheaper than using a us cell company international roaming.

(Try Tiger Direct or Cnet for online outlets)

Go to http://www.mobal.com and look at their website. We bought their phone for $99 and it covers most of the World. We only use it when we travel. Most of our friends also bought it and are pleased using it. You only pay for the calls you make and the ones that are made to you -- NO SERVICE fees or contracts. The website will give how much to expect to pay each minute for service. We heard about it on the CC boards several years ago.

Sheila

• 2 weeks later...
Go to www.mobal.com and look at their website. We bought their phone for $99 and it covers most of the World. We only use it when we travel. Most of our friends also bought it and are pleased using it. You only pay for the calls you make and the ones that are made to you -- NO SERVICE fees or contracts. The website will give how much to expect to pay each minute for service. We heard about it on the CC boards several years ago.

Sheila

Plus you get a number that is a Great Britian number and yours forever.. ..so your family /friends etc. may reach you wherever you are in the world. Charges are billed directly to your credit card no problem with sims cards for different countries. you only need to use it once a year to keep it active. Works most everywhere in the world we have been.. That was the

best purchase I ever made for a cell phone.

Hi Claudia,

Thanks for the heads up on the Mobal phone. My Mom was concerned about being able to reach me while I was away so I ordered one and it arrived the very next day by Fedex. And what was great, it came with $99.00 worth of free calls, so the phone was essentially FREE.:p

If the Mobal phone sounds too good, it's even better when you compare their rates to other carriers (like AT&T).

Just checking rates for India as an example (which is where I hope to be next year) Mobal charges $ 1.95/min for national calls and $ 3.95/min to call USA/Canada.

AT&T "World traveler plan" ($ 5.95/mo fee) has a rate of $ 2.29/min (without the plan it is $ $ 2.49/min) for calls in India.

Thus it really seems to be a good deal, at least when compared to AT&T, especially given that your first $ 99 are already paid for.

Hi again Dojo466,

It was so easy to program -- I just took it over to my daughter's house and her wonderful husband did it for us. He even explained how to use it. We just have to have a lesson everytime we leave the country.

Have a great cruise!!

Sheila

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

I just used my Mobal phone in the Caribbean to check it out before my Baltic trip. It worked GREAT. We called our home answering machine from Grand Turk and it sounded BETTER than the messages left from our local friends. Have not priced the calls yet (we still have the free $99 w/purchase of phone) but will research later this week and let you know. I think we made a good decision just to keep Mom happy that we can call from Russia. Also when we called our friends they said we sounded better than our home phone.

Hi everyone,

I just used my Mobal phone in the Caribbean to check it out before my Baltic trip. It worked GREAT. We called our home answering machine from Grand Turk and it sounded BETTER than the messages left from our local friends. Have not priced the calls yet (we still have the free $99 w/purchase of phone) but will research later this week and let you know. I think we made a good decision just to keep Mom happy that we can call from Russia. Also when we called our friends they said we sounded better than our home phone.

That's good to hear as I got the same deal.

I may put it to the test in India (mostly for urgent calls to hotels, guides, etc - not chit-chat).

Archived