Messed Up Air, Courtesy Of Hal

HomeLover

Has anyone considered that the real reason HAL changed the flights might be that by making the change, it cost THEM less - thus more profit? If nothing makes sense about something and the reason given makes no sense, it usually boils down to the all mighty dollar!

On our first trip to Athens to pick up a ship, we flew in the day before and the airline lost 2 of our 4 bags. We sailed the next day without them and didn't get them for 2 more days. Most of my casual wear was in them so in August in Greece, I had to wear jeans! We now cross pack all clothing types in case a bag gets lost.

Just my 2 cents!

Doug

I do the packing for DH and me. I always put some of his and some of my clothes in all the bags we take. Every bag we take has at least one set of change of undies, swimsuit, slacks etc

No bag has all of anything. Never put all my formal wear in one bag.

Has anyone considered that the real reason HAL changed the flights might be that by making the change, it cost THEM less - thus more profit? If nothing makes sense about something and the reason given makes no sense, it usually boils down to the all mighty dollar!

On our first trip to Athens to pick up a ship, we flew in the day before and the airline lost 2 of our 4 bags. We sailed the next day without them and didn't get them for 2 more days. Most of my casual wear was in them so in August in Greece, I had to wear jeans! We now cross pack all clothing types in case a bag gets lost.

Just my 2 cents!

Doug

This is why we book our own air. We know that the cruise lines choose the cheapest flights available.

Sorry it has taken so long to post anything, but there was nothing to report until today.

My TA and HAL reached a compromise that will bring me into Athens a day early and put me in a hotel (hopefully the Intercontinental, where most of the cc people are), and transfers at a very minimal cost to me.

Thanks to all who supported me in this endeavor. I think it is a fair compromise for both HAL and me.

That's good news, HomeLover.

The Intercontinental is a good hotel...... it's not central Athens but has enough plusses to make the less than perfect location worth it.

The roof top restaurant with magnificent views is wonderful.

Enjoy your extra day in Athens. It's a great city IMO

I'm glad that the OP got this sorted out to their satisfaction...

...but IMO, all cruiselines should begin to make it their policy that if they're going to book air, etc for pax - that the passenger must fly in at least one day early and pay for the overnight at the hotel.

If the passenger insists on flying in the day of departure (a fool's choice in this day and age of airline travel, IMO) - the passenger can be informed that it is their prerogative, but the passenger must be responsible for their own air transportation arrangements.

But, Brian....... that HAS to be clearly set out at the time of booking. They can't set those conditions some months later IMO That is where they went wrong in this case.

That and switching flights due to arrival time to a flight having the same arrival time. What sense was that?

I'm glad that the OP got this sorted out to their satisfaction...

...but IMO, all cruiselines should begin to make it their policy that if they're going to book air, etc for pax - that the passenger must fly in at least one day early and pay for the overnight at the hotel.

If the passenger insists on flying in the day of departure (a fool's choice in this day and age of airline travel, IMO) - the passenger can be informed that it is their prerogative, but the passenger must be responsible for their own air transportation arrangements.

Good stuff, Brian. They should also make it clear at the time of booking air that they have no control over subsequent airline schedules or weather.

But, Brian....... that HAS to be clearly set out at the time of booking. They can't set those conditions some months later IMO That is where they went wrong in this case.

That and switching flights due to arrival time to a flight having the same arrival time. What sense was that?

I'm certainly not disagreeing - changing the game after the expectation has been set is never a good thing...

...which is why I believe the lines would be better off if they set more reasonable expectations by insisting that pax who book connecting travel through the line arrive at the port of departure a day early - and that travelers who wish to try their luck by arriving the day of departure are on their own.

I agree with what you have all said. As I mentioned earlier, After 19 cruises, I have never had an experience like this. I think what bothered me was that at first HAL was so uncooperative to do anything to help, while admitting it was their fault.

I Would Suggest Booking Your Own Flights. It May Be More Effort, But It Is Definitely Less Aggravation. When You Rely On The Cruise Line, They Do Not Necessarily Put You On The Most Convenient Flight. To Assure That You Get What You Want At A Good Price, Get One The Computer Or Telephone And Do It Yourself.

I have to add my two cents....

We have ALWAYS do our own air arrangements, have ALWAYS arrive at any foreign port at least a day prior to boarding.

There are just way too many 'factors' that effect all aspect of travel, or maybe i am a control freak, but knowing that i have full control of my travel plan is well worth the efforts! :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
How many of you CCer's book your own air rather than through Hal, or use a TA to arrange the flight for you? We usually use a TA, but we just book a cruise with Hal, we have not decided whether to do it through Hal or our TA. Do you think there is any advantage to either choice?

My Sweet Hubby and I always book our own flights, and hotels on our own, ( But we did this time book we booked the cruise through HAL , First time cruising with her) last cruise was Princess and we booked though them too. More convient, We always arrive a day early and stay at the Renaissance in FT. Lauderdale and have a room at the top with a port view. In the morning we have a very nice breakfast in our room and enjoy the view from our window. We rise early so we can see the ship sail in and dock .... so wonderful to see. SUCH GRACE! Well what Im saying is that flying in a day early could really be a wonderful thing ... I know you'd have a big smile on your face from being well rested as you board the ship..... and ready for your adventures....I do agrees with CC... go a day earlier...... Please.....It's good for you.:) Have A Wonderful Trip!!!!:)

Archived