Norwegian Vs any other line?

moonlitmagik

well i booked it yesterday (I thought I mentioned that, I dunno I've been sick lately with the flu so I'm lucky I remembered my meeting with my TA) and it is very reasonably priced. It's not so much the price that bothers me, it's the DEPOSIT structures of some of the other lines, i think it's rediculous to have to pay say 500 to hold a 6 day cruise, but then again I'm CHEAP. Did I say I was cheap?

I just hope I don't get stuck in the bathroom and have to have my DH pull me out or worse yet call for help.. i would be so embarassed!

You won't get stuck in the bathroom. They aren't big, but they are laid out so that you can move around just fine. As you mentioned, there are some pretty big people on most cruises...and they didn't all get stuck on the toilet or in the shower! :p

Regarding the deposit structure - you're getting a heck of a deal on the total price of this cruise. $500 down is not unreasonable. The post was right that said you're going to have to pay for the cruise at some point anyway...so just bite the bullet and get it half over with. Just think how good you'll feel with it half paid for.

I suggest you relax about paying $500 down...and start thinking of all the fun stuff you're going to be doing on this cruise! Have you checked out your excursion choices? Have you researched and learned details about the places you're going? Do you know what are all the cool fun things to do once you get there? What about things to do on the ship?

I think I might have gotten everybody confused... lol. The deposit for my NCL cruise was only $200. (VERY reasonable in my book!) It is a 4 night bahamas from miami, visiting freeport grand bahama, nassau, and the great stirrup cay (s?). I paid the deposit. That I am fine with.

What I was griping about, was other lines deposit structure. Carnival seems to be the most ridiculous of them all, with NCL, Celebrity, and RCI being the most lenient. Actually seems to me that NCL, Celebrity and RCI are pretty much the same. What drew me to the cruise was the freestyle nature, my husband and I fly by the seat of our pants and I hate having someone schedule what time I am supposed to eat dinner, especially if I'm still too busy having fun snorkeling or diving for pearls, etc.

HorseLady, I did research the shore excursions, NCL is VERY AFFORDABLE in that area, much more so than RCI or even Carnival, or heck, I thought Celebrity was really affordable but NCL even beats them out. What I don't like however, is that some of the things that I'd like to do like the horse back riding is stamped WEIGHT LIMIT (what, like they're saying fat people can't ride horses?) I am 5'8 and weigh somewhere around 260... never have trouble riding my neighbor's horses here back home so what's up with that?

What I don't like however, is that some of the things that I'd like to do like the horse back riding is stamped WEIGHT LIMIT (what, like they're saying fat people can't ride horses?) I am 5'8 and weigh somewhere around 260... never have trouble riding my neighbor's horses here back home so what's up with that?

There is a good reason for this as you would see, the first being the animals well being as it is not just your ride that he would need to be carrying the 2nd is some of these poor horses stand in the sun for the full day long while maybe up to 3 or 4 tours come through on booked rides, they are often standing for over a hour for the next tour to arrive and in most cases the girth isnt even loosened, then you take the terain they are asked to take the rides on and mostly it is picture perfect BUT hard going in sand or rock/lava so the horses do it VERY tough, and if you get into a port where you have 3 or 4 cruise ships in then it is like Freemont Street Las Vegas at 10 at night. It has nothing to do with being biased on the bigger people as I am sure you will see and totally understand.;)

Hope that paints a better picture for you

Bruce

That makes me sad for the horses. They should at least be in the shade with fresh water available. I thought that the cruise line took you to whatever stable did the tours, etc?

When you book a tour the tour operator takes you to their place, that is how it works on all ships as 90% of tours are nothing more than a contractor type basis ( one of the big exceptions is Princess when it comes to Alaska as they own much of the "things to do") but you must remember life is a lot different on these islands than you enjoy at home much like the hard life that horses ( or should I say many animals ) get south of the border as one examlpe only................not to mention the average person also lives a totally different live and at times you simply have to pinch yourself annd take it as life is so to speak. The horses in general are well fed and in good nik but that doesnt make up for the hard yards they put in

Bruce

I've read reviews on Norwegian, some good, mostly bad. I don't know if those bad reviews are trying to tell me something (like run away and find another cruise line). But my hubs and I want to take a cruise preferably not to mexico and the best affordable price we could find (since we live on the west coast and airfare is astronomical) was a norwegian 4 day bahamas on the norwegian sky.

I want to know how norwegian is over all, is the food good, are the staff friendly, did they start buffing the decks mid cruise, etc. I am asking for advice, because while I saw travel channel reviews on Carnival (samantha brown's ultimate whatever show) and their uber buffets, their deposit structure is RIDICULOUS. for a 4 night cruise they want a 300 dollar deposit, that's half of the total price it seems like to me. Same with a 7 day caribbean, they want a 500 dollar deposit and that works out to be half of the total cost, where as norwegian, RCL, et al only rquire a 200

dollar deposit.

Help me out, i am new to cruising and I don't want to make a mistake on choosing my first (and probably only) cruise.

People seem to want it all -- as a general rule however, things are either good OR cheap -- take your pick: it is rare to get something that is both good AND cheap. Just ask yourself how one cruise can be cheaper than another.

I've read reviews on Norwegian, some good, mostly bad. I don't know if those bad reviews are trying to tell me something (like run away and find another cruise line). But my hubs and I want to take a cruise preferably not to mexico and the best affordable price we could find (since we live on the west coast and airfare is astronomical) was a norwegian 4 day bahamas on the norwegian sky.

I want to know how norwegian is over all, is the food good, are the staff friendly, did they start buffing the decks mid cruise, etc. I am asking for advice, because while I saw travel channel reviews on Carnival (samantha brown's ultimate whatever show) and their uber buffets, their deposit structure is RIDICULOUS. for a 4 night cruise they want a 300 dollar deposit, that's half of the total price it seems like to me. Same with a 7 day caribbean, they want a 500 dollar deposit and that works out to be half of the total cost, where as norwegian, RCL, et al only rquire a 200 dollar deposit.

Help me out, i am new to cruising and I don't want to make a mistake on choosing my first (and probably only) cruise.

We just returned from our first cruise ever and found it to be amazing. We posted a review of the Norewgian Dawn in the Review Section. Should answer some of your questions. Good luck and happy sailing.

wow, I am shocked at what you said about the bathrooms. I don't know about the Spirit, but would guess you may be right as the ship was not built for western sailings, but the rest of NCLs ships have better bathroom than most lines we have cruised. They certainly are as big or bigger than Celebrity or at least we found them bigger.

Nita

Shocked?

I have been on the Spirit and the Dawn and what makes the NCL Bathrooms smaller is the separation -Vanity in the middle, Shower stall on one side and toilet/water closet on the other.. Its literally in a 'closet'...

I am aware the Spirit was built for the Asian market but the Dawn was built for NY, yes?

No matter would not stop me from cruising..

what would stop me from cruising is getting my butt stuck in the water closet (or *on* the water closet) seeing as how that kind of separation really can make a room smaller, it's all about placement of crucial items. toilet should be near the door with nothing obstructing it, shower in far corner and sink next to that on the opposite side of the toilet. Nobody ever puts a toilet in a corner between two walls, that's just stupid!

Shocked?

I have been on the Spirit and the Dawn and what makes the NCL Bathrooms smaller is the separation -Vanity in the middle, Shower stall on one side and toilet/water closet on the other.. Its literally in a 'closet'...

I am aware the Spirit was built for the Asian market but the Dawn was built for NY, yes?

No matter would not stop me from cruising..

you are right, Dawn built for those sailing from the USA. My comment was in referance to the Dawn, I haven't cruised the Dawn, but have so many of the newer NCL ships, and yes, they do have the set up as you explained it, but did not find the john closet too small and I am certainly not a tiny little thing. that was my reason for what I said. Now, on the Spirit I would be a little nervous but my boss has been on her, he isn't little either and never said anything about the bathroom so I feel it is probably ok.

NIta

There is a good reason for this as you would see, the first being the animals well being as it is not just your ride that he would need to be carrying the 2nd is some of these poor horses stand in the sun for the full day long while maybe up to 3 or 4 tours come through on booked rides, they are often standing for over a hour for the next tour to arrive and in most cases the girth isnt even loosened, then you take the terain they are asked to take the rides on and mostly it is picture perfect BUT hard going in sand or rock/lava so the horses do it VERY tough, and if you get into a port where you have 3 or 4 cruise ships in then it is like Freemont Street Las Vegas at 10 at night. It has nothing to do with being biased on the bigger people as I am sure you will see and totally understand.;)

Hope that paints a better picture for you

Bruce

One other note about the Horses down south in islands .

They are Much smaller than horses in North America .

Im 6' and 205 # and the picture of me on the horse was histarical . I looked like a giant , my stirups were a foot and half from the ground. I think this may have somthing to do with the weight restriction..

Archived