puerto vallarta

GophersMN

;)

The ride to Le Kliff takes at least 45 minutes. Then you want to enjoy and relax and take in the experience you are getting from the restaraunt. It is not a place you want to rush by any means. you have to reserve a bit less than two hours just for the transportation itself. Then save more time for dinner. If you went for an early dinner and are on a ship that leaves late, then you can easily do it. If you are concerned for your time, then i reccommend saving it for a time you visit PV.

Once you visit PV, You will want to go back. 99.9999 percent gaurentee ;)

I'm thinking of taking the BF here for our last stop for the night.

My plan is to check out the old town- like you suggested. That should take about 4hrs. Go to Krystal resort and hit em' up for a couples message and chill there for 3hrs, then head to Le Kliff for a couple of hours and then head back onto the ship. Do you think that is do-able?

Oh by the way, I see that you have just about answered all myQ's- thanks. I'm planning the outings and trying to suprise the BF with my planning skills and thanks to you , so far its looking easy :)

:cool: Mali

My plan is to check out the old town- like you suggested. That should take about 4hrs. Go to Krystal resort and hit em' up for a couples message and chill there for 3hrs, then head to Le Kliff for a couple of hours and then head back onto the ship. Do you think that is do-able?

Oh by the way, I see that you have just about answered all myQ's- thanks. I'm planning the outings and trying to suprise the BF with my planning skills and thanks to you , so far its looking easy :)

Haha! You both will love PV, I"m glad to help. If you don't mind, Give me a time frame at least for when you are getting off the ship, and when you have to be on the ship. That way, we can try to arrange some schedule for you now to work things out for your day in PV. There will definetly be a way to make this work, but if i have a starting and ending time, then it'll be a bit easier =)

Get back to me and I'll respond tonight.

Since in one of your posts you asked for medium cheap, I'll point out that going to Le Kliff will be quite the expensive evening. You might want to consider eating downtown and strolling the malecon after dinner. We love to go to Ah! Carumba by taxi for dinner (trying to arrive before sunset), then walking down the hill to the beginning of the malecon, and strolling it's length and back before heading back to the ship. Ah! Carumba is high on a hill as you first enter downtown, and you sit on a terrace hanging out over a residential neighborhood...you have a view of the city below and the bay. The stuffed shrimp are to die for (and so are the margaritas). It's not cheap like it used to be, but your total for the evening will be less than at Le Kliff, where it will be quite the taxi fare.

Since in one of your posts you asked for medium cheap, I'll point out that going to Le Kliff will be quite the expensive evening. You might want to consider eating downtown and strolling the malecon after dinner. We love to go to Ah! Carumba by taxi for dinner (trying to arrive before sunset), then walking down the hill to the beginning of the malecon, and strolling it's length and back before heading back to the ship. Ah! Carumba is high on a hill as you first enter downtown, and you sit on a terrace hanging out over a residential neighborhood...you have a view of the city below and the bay. The stuffed shrimp are to die for (and so are the margaritas). It's not cheap like it used to be, but your total for the evening will be less than at Le Kliff, where it will be quite the taxi fare.

do to an injury that the BF has :( he can't walk too far. So I will not be going on a touring excursion....I will think of alternative things to do...but I don't care to shop and from what it sounds like, snorkeling is not cool out in PV, and zip lining seems wacked (done it before) ...

evening dinner ....well yah, that does seem to be a bit pricey for Mexico...

thanks for the advice :)

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is old, but it looks like I may have found some experienced PV visitors to help answer a question or two. First, the website for the PV port authority is mentioned here but I don't see the address so if someone could share it that I would appreciate it. We will be there the first week of February on the Star and I want to know if we tender or dock. Second, while we are there I would really like to send my dad fishing while the rest of us go out on the pirate ship with the kids. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Yes, Going to Le Kliff will definetly not be a cheap evening. The cab fares alone will be probably close to what you'd pay for dinner at another place.

Also do you really think the food there is that great?? I agree the view is to die for but there are better restaurants with much better food at cheaper prices many that you have mentioned :) I think you pay for the view. The food isn't bad just not great especialy at those prices.

I LOVE PV and there are not enough days and meals to do justice to all the incredible restaurants and taco stands that I want to dine at in the brief time I am there, 1 week here, two weeks there however often is clearly not enough time.

I keep threatening DH that one day he is going to come home from work and I will have bought a condo down there LOL He is afraid :p

• 3 weeks later...

Another thing to think about when scheduling independent tours in PV is that the ship is not on local time. I was on the Star in November and PV was an hour later than the ship. So if you get off the ship at 9:00 a.m it's already 10:00 in PV.

I would add the following caution about Le Kliff. Yes, it has a great view (especially at sunset or twilight time). It also has pretty decent food. However, it is also a bit pricy and most PV regulars (we spend 2 months a year in PV) would forgo the view (and the inflated taxi fares to get to Le Kliff) in favor of the many less expensive and better restaurants found in the Romantic Zone (Old Town) and Centro (downtown). We eat at about 50 PV restaurants a year (some multiple times) and my wife keeps a list of our favorites and not so favorites. Le Kliff does not make either list.

I know this thread is old, but it looks like I may have found some experienced PV visitors to help answer a question or two. First, the website for the PV port authority is mentioned here but I don't see the address so if someone could share it that I would appreciate it. We will be there the first week of February on the Star and I want to know if we tender or dock. Second, while we are there I would really like to send my dad fishing while the rest of us go out on the pirate ship with the kids. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Here is the link to the Vallarta Port Authority schedule for 2009 - http://puertodevallarta.com.mx/Documentos/CALENDARIO%202009.pdf

It appears that Star will continue to tender in 2009. (FOND is short for the Spanish word that translates as "anchorage").

Fishing charters can be a challange for cruisers because most deep sea fishing charters head out before cruise ships dock. I suggest you do a google search for fishing charters vallarta . You may find a charter outfit that caters to cruise ship passengers and goes out into the bay. We have fished the bay but booked our trips off the beach 24 hours in advance.

Enjoy!

OP: I swear the Star has outstanding parking tickets or something! They ALWAYS get the bad parking spots, LOL! On our cruise to Alaska on the Star we were always the ship that had to tender while the other ships docked.

I'm holding out hope for our March cruise that we will dock. With that many hours in port it would be nice to be able to stroll on and off the ship.

Archived