What to do in Mazatlan?

Auntiejo

Going to Mazatlan in Nov. on HAL....every time I've been to Mazatlan in the past I end up wondering why I bothered getting off the ship.

Any suggestions on a resort where we can hang out at the beach, order lunch and drinks, etc. that's decent and not overrun by a lot of kids?

Check out Randys Happy Horses, if your into horse back riding. It's nothing like the ones you've been on before. You can run them if you want and they do not want to go back to the stables. They take you through a lime orchard, through palm trees. Then they take you on a streach of beach. Afterwards you eat at beach restaurant. My wife and I had a blast!

Ruby

When we go to mazatlan, we stay at El Cid, El Morro Tower. Great beach, great swim up bar, nice pool, some activities. You can rent jet skis, parasail, take a little ride over to deer island to snorkel, or shop. They have a day use pass. Look at their website and email or call them for prices.

I also vote for Randi's. The ride on the beach was awesome. I am a senior and had never been on a horse and it was wonderful. If you are not into horse back riding then go over to Stone Island. It is uncrowded and so relaxing. Randi's tour takes you to Victors on the beach but you can always go on your own. The shrimp, either garlic, coconut or fried are the best I have ever had. Not expensive either. We are cruising to Mexico in 3 weeks and so sad we will not be stopping in Mazatlan this time.

I also vote for Randi's. The ride on the beach was awesome. I am a senior and had never been on a horse and it was wonderful. If you are not into horse back riding then go over to Stone Island. It is uncrowded and so relaxing. Randi's tour takes you to Victors on the beach but you can always go on your own. The shrimp, either garlic, coconut or fried are the best I have ever had. Not expensive either. We are cruising to Mexico in 3 weeks and so sad we will not be stopping in Mazatlan this time.

Hey there Karen - ! I was browsing to get ideas on 'eats' and here you are! -- everyone has been saying good things about Victors- esp the shrimp - we will be in Mazatlan during our cruise and hubby wants to know where all the good restaurants are for seafood..

thanx..... see ya on the 'other' board!! Carol the Corkey

Here's what we did last November on our day in Mazatlan.

(I also have it posted on my blog in more detail, click here)

1. Hubby got off the ship first thing, took a taxi to the lighthouse (El Faro) and hiked up to hill to reach it. Breathtaking views.

2. After he got back and showered, we went to the Mazatlan Aquarium. It's a small one with a nice garden that you can walk around out back. And if you time it right, go see the seal show. After the show you can get your picture taken getting a kiss from one of the seals! It was cheap, like $2 US if you used your own camera. I had my picture taken and it's one of my favorite memories of the trip.

3. Go to the central market. Not only does it sell fresh food but you can get some decent gifts. I bought a nice tote bag for $10US. And upstairs in the market are some mom and pop type restaurants. They look very sketchy but folks posting to Trip Advisor all said it was safe to eat. We ate at the last one on the left on the front side of the market over looking the street. (That's on the left if you are inside looking out towards the street). Food was good, cheap and filling.

4. Go see the cliff divers. Granted it's not as grand as the ones in Acapulco but still pretty cool and just as dangerous for the divers. A short walk back towards town was a few restaurants with outdoor covered patios. We stopped at one for some beer, guacamole and some of the best shrimp ceviche ever.

It was probably our favorite port of the three we went to on that cruise (others were PV and Cabo)

Here's what we did last November on our day in Mazatlan. (I also have it posted on my blog in more detail, click here)

1. Hubby got off the ship first thing, took a taxi to the lighthouse (El Faro) and hiked up to hill to reach it. Breathtaking views.

Just got done reading the blog - thanks for the link! We're gonna use some of your tips I think.

We'd love to hike up to the lighthouse, and I was wondering if you'd ask your hubby a question about it for me? He noted the first half was a path and the second was stairs. We're not worried about the climbing part, but I was wondering if any of it is scary in terms of heights ..... in other words, if the stairs are like a cliff-edge situation, I won't be able to do it. The blog has so much detail I am betting he would've noted if that is that case.

TIA!

I will not be venturing around Mazatlan again. I found it dirty and the restaurants seemed very unclean and the amount of people in your face everywhere trying to get your money was exhausting. The merchandise is extremely overpriced and they won't budge on prices. Los Angeles is cheaper!!! Stone Island had diseased dogs running around and in the restaurants and the beach was covered with dead fish and stingrays. The only clean eateries had inflated prices to cater to tourists and the food was awful. Your choices as far as eating go are do it somewhere cheap and take your chances or go for the safer and expensive place but lose out on quality. Is great shrimp worth having the runs the rest of the cruise or getting very sick? My husband is a former chef and seafood is especially dangerous if it is not stored and handled correctly. Everyone here will disagree but me, I can't eat in places like that personally. If I were you I would stay on the ship and enjoy the peace and quiet with noone there. That way you can eat safely and relax. Mazatlan is also really, really, really humid and HOT. You will drip sweat the entire time.

I felt the dirtiness, hasseled beggars and barters (that included children), and unkept animals at Acapulco also. But I didn't let it deter me or give off false or negative reactions. That is their way of life and they are the ones that have to deal with their situation in any way they can to survive. They may not know any different to feel these kind of sad atributes that we feel. If you,ve never had a manicured lawn, nice home, good variety of food & clothes....then you don't miss what you presently have. I accepted my cultural experience there as just that, and felt humbled towards it. And, Yes, I did buy a couple turtle whistles from a boy pawning on the streets...anything to help and have them & I feel good.

We also spent the afternoon at the Mayan Palace Resort....so maybe that is what you should look for while in Mazatlan if you find their culture disturbing to you.

I felt the dirtiness, hasseled beggars and barters (that included children), and unkept animals at Acapulco also. But I didn't let it deter me or give off false or negative reactions. That is their way of life and they are the ones that have to deal with their situation in any way they can to survive. They may not know any different to feel these kind of sad atributes that we feel. If you,ve never had a manicured lawn, nice home, good variety of food & clothes....then you don't miss what you presently have. I accepted my cultural experience there as just that, and felt humbled towards it. And, Yes, I did buy a couple turtle whistles from a boy pawning on the streets...anything to help and have them & I feel good.

We also spent the afternoon at the Mayan Palace Resort....so maybe that is what you should look for while in Mazatlan if you find their culture disturbing to you.

Well put!

Just got back from the Sapphire yesterday. My friends and I did Stone Island on our own. Went to the Embaracadero where the locals take these little boats to cross the channel. $2USD round trip. Once on Stone Island, found a guy with a pickup and for $4USD gave us a lift to Molokay. One member of our group has issues walking.

Molokay was quiet, no pestering merchants. They do have "resident" merchants but they will not bother you again once you tell them no. The food was fresh and very economical. Luis was our waiter and he was great, no pressure at all. We had Quesdalllias, coconut shrimp and drinks. It is nice that they rope off the area from the beach to prevent roaming vendors to approach you. Overall, we had a great day in Stone Island. Were disappointed that they no longer offer Jet Skis.

I say rough it on your own! It was one of the better days on this cruise.;)

As part of the "older" generation, we enjoy the Papantla Flyers in the Golden Zone, and then walk over to and through the left side of the Playa Mazatlan Hotel (bathrooms right there) and sit on the beach under a palapa if there is one available, and enjoy the action of the people coming and going, the vendors, etc. And you can get a beer delivered. Nancy

Just got done reading the blog - thanks for the link! We're gonna use some of your tips I think.

We'd love to hike up to the lighthouse, and I was wondering if you'd ask your hubby a question about it for me? He noted the first half was a path and the second was stairs. We're not worried about the climbing part, but I was wondering if any of it is scary in terms of heights ..... in other words, if the stairs are like a cliff-edge situation, I won't be able to do it. The blog has so much detail I am betting he would've noted if that is that case.

TIA!

He said the parts of the stairs going up had a small wall/high curb along side it.

I am a great humanitarian and lover of animals. I give money EVERY month to charity even though I presently am out of work and quite broke.

Do not imply I am something bad. I had all the sympathy in the world until I arrived in Puerto Vallarta and was told by a few locals that when the ships come in they call it R.O.D. day. Know what that stands for? Rip Off Day. It is their chance to charge ludicrous prices for crap. I don't care if you are rich, poor, Mecican, American or otherwise. Do not feel you can charge me an insane amount of money for stuff made in China that I can by in Los Angeles for less. I am fine with helping their economy. I am NOT fine with being blatantly ripped off and hustled.

I am a great humanitarian and lover of animals. I give money EVERY month to charity even though I presently am out of work and quite broke.

Do not imply I am something bad. I had all the sympathy in the world until I arrived in Puerto Vallarta and was told by a few locals that when the ships come in they call it R.O.D. day. Know what that stands for? Rip Off Day. It is their chance to charge ludicrous prices for crap. I don't care if you are rich, poor, Mecican, American or otherwise. Do not feel you can charge me an insane amount of money for stuff made in China that I can by in Los Angeles for less. I am fine with helping their economy. I am NOT fine with being blatantly ripped off and hustled.

Get real! That is a fact in any touristy place all over the world, including US cities. No one is forcing you to buy the cheap souveniers but for those that want them so be it.

Get real! That is a fact in any touristy place all over the world, including US cities. No one is forcing you to buy the cheap souveniers but for those that want them so be it.

Actually, you are dead wrong. I have been ALL over the world. I have never been harassed so heavily. I also lived in a hugely popular tourist mecca for many years (sort of like Miami but nicer) and we never had hawkers hassling people constantly with different prices for different people and nationalities. The prices were what they were, posted on the merchandise and remainded consistent no matter who wanted to make the purchases. But if you want to pay $35 for sundress made in China for 50 cents while the local next two you pays $3- enjoy. But I hate it because it ruins it for all of us tourists and makes us all look like suckers and therefore the prices stay at R.O.D. level. BECAUSE people will pay these stupid prices. Just know the merchants are laughing their butts off while you throw your money away. And that IS what they are doing as I spoke to many of the locals!!:D

I was just implying that there are positives as well as negatives, and one should decide for themselves what it is they would like to get out of these experiences.

I have been exploring on internet to get the most out of our upcoming cruise, and have heard more positives than negatives about Stone Island, great shrimp, best tequilla...etc. So to put forth such negatives and tell ppl to stay on ship does not help or inspire one to venture.

I know it and you know it....prices are inflated for stuff you can get cheaper in your own country. I have seen it in ALL places...curacao, haiti, panama, costa rica, mexico, aruba, st marten, st thomas, st lucia, columbia, san juan, and even miami. Once you've done this a few times, you catch on (and barter better). but until that time, you have fun just being there and experiencing these places. If you purchase inflated products in the meantime...oh well. You learn eventually.

I know it and you know it....prices are inflated for stuff you can get cheaper in your own country. I have seen it in ALL places...curacao, haiti, panama, costa rica, mexico, aruba, st marten, st thomas, st lucia, columbia, san juan, and even miami. Once you've done this a few times, you catch on (and barter better). but until that time, you have fun just being there and experiencing these places. If you purchase inflated products in the meantime...oh well. You learn eventually.

Oh, barter I did and if they would not budge- I walked. I think we spent maybe forty dollars on merchandise in Mexico and ten of that was on scotch!!!!:D I will go again- but will find a deserted beach to lay on for fun- or the peaceful and quiet ship!!;)

LADY LIBRARIAN-----love your blog!! Thanks.

So easy to do, I'm starting my own!

Glad you like it! Yes it is easy to do, keeping it updated is tricky sometimes. I've been bad about updating lately. Between an impending kitchen remodel (thanks to our erupting dishwasher), my library closing in 4 weeks for renovation and our dog who just had surgery, things have been crazy and my blogging has really slowed down.

But when I do have time to post, it's a lot of fun. In fact I started a new one for a trip we took to Malaysia and Singapore back in March. I kept a travel journal on the trip and used it to create a new blog.

A big thumbs up to your response, Semi Retired. I find that you and I share the same philosophy regarding travel.

I start every journey with great excitement, curiosity and enthusiasm. Every trip, big or small, is an adventure to me. I want to meet people, discover the culture and wrap myself in the experience.

I've also been humbled by the generosity and kindness I've found along the way. Sure, not every experience was what I wanted or expected, and some were downright sad (those shacks in the jungle south of Puerto Vallarta--heartbreaking), but that's how life is being lived all over the world, and I prefer to see the many positives rather than dwell on the few negatives.

To the original poster, Mazatlan is a wonderful place to visit. So many things to see and do--we hired a pulmonia for a few hours and did a tour of the city. Got to see the Old Town, hit the central market, Ice Box Hill, did beach stops and photo ops--had lunch at a terrific restaurant (El Papagayo), and finished up with some shopping at the port before heading back to the ship. Sure, it's a little more industrial and gritty than PV, and not as "Americanized" as Cabo, but it was one of our favorite ports of call. Definitely get off the ship and have fun!

Archived