Which Side of the Airplane?

JJPacer

Remember it gets dark early there--if you fly in about 6 you'll see the sunset.

I don't think it matters much. I remember getting views of the mountains on Tahiti, and views of Moorea. Since the plane tends to bank and turn as it comes in, it's a bit of a crapshoot. I liked the views of the mountains, and we were on the port side (left.)

You can disreguard this post! We just found out our day flight had been cancelld and not notified. It looks like we will be flying in at night and we won't see much of anything.

Thanks for your replies.

I wondered! I had been checking the ATN site frequently to monitor pricing and couldn't find any flights that flew into Papeete during the daylight hours. Most of their flights, if not all of them now, usually arrive from 10 PM onward.

And the same with the flights going home. Usually they begin about 10:30 at night.

Enjoy your trip to Tahiti, it is definitely a paradise!

Ia orana

depending of the season, the 1 Pm departure flight that arrives at 06:30 pm (during our winter when the time difference is only 2 hours) does make it still by daylight. Should you seat on the right hand side of the plane, you should see Rangiroa and Ttikehau on the right hand side one hour prior to arrival.

This show was offered ( pre sept 11 2001 ) in the cockpit when you could still ask to visit.

20 minutes before landing would be Tetiaroa and you sghould see Moorea at Sunset

For the Left hand side ( by the way cooler since not exposed directly to the sun) you should get the full approach of Tahiti and Papeete overflying the ship you will embark on. These are for good weather, no wind flying.

Oh do I miss the old fashion good captains that announced what island we were overflying, no more of that nowadays.

Actually my last very exciting of such announcement was flying from Nairobi to St Denis Reunion island with, for once, at 6 Am Mount kilimandjaro clear of the morning clouds,.... full view of the snow cap (when there was still tons of snow) and the crater.....I have never seen another flight where 200 passengers on a 747 wanted to go to thge opposite side of the aircraft to take the photo. Got mine !.....

Our last flight almost took us past Papeete to teahupoo figure 8 almost fly over Moorea and make a sharp approach to Tahiti ( strong side winds....).

For the return since Af took their departure time in the middle of the night, no more morning shots of Tetiaroa and rangiroa in the morning.....

Hope this helps

meherio

Thanks for the clarification, Meherio. I think we're on the left side of the plane (seats A & B), and our flight is supposed to arrive at 6:30 PM. So maybe we will be able to see the island, provised the weather cooperates..

It's too bad the pilots don't announce the islands. It would be nice to know the land visible from the plane has a name, instead of just being an "island" in a huge blue ocean.

flamomo,

Thanks for your reply. I am on the Nov. 9th sailing of the Star Flyer, not the Tahitian. Too bad, Ill miss out on the roll call. I think we're on the same flight. I am also on the "A" side, in the "nosebleed" section at back of plane. So far no one has booked the seat beside me, fingers crossed:rolleyes: I will then spend 2 days pre-cruise at the IC, with a dayroom afterward at the Radisson. I have read so many less than positive reports about Tahiti and her hotels (i.e. rats, rude staff, etc...) that I'm getting kind of nervous. I guess I'll just be glad to get on the ship!

lam7609

Iam' - We are in about the middle of the plane, over the wing. That location may make it a little difficult to see much on the approach. But by that time I think we'll just be so happy that we'll soon be getting off the plane that it won't matter!

How long is your cruise? We disembark on the 19th.

We too are staying at the IC, but no post cruise hotel on disembarkation day, as apparently the Tahitian Princess allows us to utilize the ship's facilities until time to head for the airport.

I'm excited to be staying at the IC. Pictures I have seen and what I've been able to find on the internet about it makes it sound quite nice. I had not heard about rats (eek!) and hope not to see any, at least in the room. Had not heard about rude staff, but anything is possible.

Ia orana

Always ask at the airport if any better seat assignment is available. The second question is to ask if the flight is full? If not there might be 4 seats in the center available for two passengers on each aisle. keep in mind that the central armrest beween each pair of seats does not move.

Keep also in mind that there is a space available upgrade to business class for $ 700 each way per person.

Hope this helps

Bon voyage

meherio

flamomo- We get off the ship and fly home (which is Indianapolis for me) on the 16th. Just a 7 day cruise. I'm looking forward to the sailing aspect and getting to know people on such a small ship (I think it holds about 150?) Not sure about the 118sq ft cabin and lack of motion stablizers yet :eek: I agree w/ you about the flight. We will be ready to kiss the ground when we land!

Iam,

Wow, your ship IS a small one. The Tahitian has 670 passengers, and that will be the smallest one I have been on. When I went to Hawaii on the Diamond, there were 2670. Try to think of your cabin as "cozy", not small. Besides it's just a place to sleep and bathe.

I am looking forward to the smaller number of passengers and the smaller ship. It certainly will be different.

I called ATN yesterday and found out what our seat assignments are for the return flight. Not where I was hoping, as we are in the center section where there are 4 seats across. Maybe we can get them changed at check in. I would much prefer to be near where we are sitting on the outbound. I'm a window seat person, and don't care for aisle or middle seats. But if we can't change, I will just have to try to sleep some on the way back. Since it's a "red-eye", maybe I will be able to.

Archived