Excursion in Freeport, Bahamas

kindercruiser

We're on the Feb. 12 sailing of the Fascination. On the day we are in Freeport, I'm looking for a nice beach day excursion for my family. It will be myself, my husband and my children ages 14 and 11.

I need opinions of the Junkanoo Beach Party and the Viva Wyndam Fortuna Beach Resort Day Pass. Tell me what you know so I can make a good choice for my family. Which one do you like? If you know how much each excursion is that would be great.

Thanks so much for your help!:)

We're on the Feb. 12 sailing of the Fascination. On the day we are in Freeport, I'm looking for a nice beach day excursion for my family. It will be myself, my husband and my children ages 14 and 11.

I need opinions of the Junkanoo Beach Party and the Viva Wyndam Fortuna Beach Resort Day Pass. Tell me what you know so I can make a good choice for my family. Which one do you like? If you know how much each excursion is that would be great.

Thanks so much for your help!:)

I would NOT do the Junkanoo thing - have heard bad reports and nothing good.

Viva Fortuna is nice but out of the way. No real shopping (a couple of small shops and maybe some basket weaving). There is lady that is on the beach sometimes that does hair-braiding. The food is included and it fine for one day - after several days it gets kinda boring. This is not 5* all-inclusive resort - more like 2-3. The drinks are mostly local beer from a tap and the liquor is not top-shelf. Having said all that the staff is great and we have had a wonderful time there. I would recommend it with one note... many of the guests are from Europe and some of the women will go topless at the beach. It is mostly confined to the left looking at the beach as to the right is all water sports stuff. Just a note for the younger ones.

If you want quiet ViVa is a good choice. One other is to do on your own and go over to Our Lucaya by way of taxi ($5pp each way) and go thru the Westin/Sheraton complex to the beach... may be a bit more crowded and food/drinks are not cheap but shopping/eating/drinking are very close and so are many watersports.

Have a great time.

Hi- We've been reading the reviews of the Freeport excursions and hotels (on this forum and on the travel forums) and have decided to take the advice here and go to the Sheraton/Westin for a $20 day pass.

Some of the all inclusive excursions have $$ on them which means more than $50. Can't imagine spending that when Our Lucaya offers so much more and the Sheraton is only $20 and gets good reviews.

Hi- We've been reading the reviews of the Freeport excursions and hotels (on this forum and on the travel forums) and have decided to take the advice here and go to the Sheraton/Westin for a $20 day pass.

Some of the all inclusive excursions have $$ on them which means more than $50. Can't imagine spending that when Our Lucaya offers so much more and the Sheraton is only $20 and gets good reviews.

One thing to remember about Our Lucaya and pricing... A cab to and from will be $5pp... day pass is $20pp... if eating right on the beach a hamburger at the Prop Club is $15 (yes, that's right) and a drink at swim up bar (facing the ocean) is $10 with tip. So one person could spend $55 just with one drink and hamburger. The drinks and food are cheaper across the street but that is a bit of a walk. Just a comment.

As for info about Our Lucaya just look at many comments in this thread.

So, our family is nine people. Are we looking at $20 x 9 for Our Lucaya, then $5 x 9 for a cab, twice? $270, plus food, for a day at the beach?

If you have young children you may get a break on the day passes but cabs regularly shove 9-12 passengers into a van at $5pp going to Our Lucaya. Coming back you may be able to strike a deal. With that many I might check with the Sheraton and see how much a room is for the day. Remember that Our Lucaya has a good shopping area that has a Subway that is very reasonable for GBI and drinks are cheaper at the bars around the Count Basie Square (inside the shopping area).

How long are you in port? There was a thread about a lady that got a price for about $25pp to go out to Gold Rock Beach and be picked back up several hours later. That would actually be cheaper... great beach just not much in the way of food/drinks/shopping.

If you walk down the beach there's a shacky food stand called Willie Joe's or something like that. You can get reasonable food and try some Bahamian items like cracked conch (similar to fried clam strips) while sitting right on the beach. Have a Bahama Mama and chill!

• 5 weeks later...

We were there in Aug and i have to say our day would be hard to top.

It was our last day of a 7 day cruise and we spent it with Capt Tony on his Sand Dollar catamaran. Sailing, snorkeling, swimming, wading, beach-combing, sunning, shopping and believe it or not relaxing!!!!! it was just what we needed on our last day. He has a beautiful boat and his service in top notch. There were 23 of us age 8-68 and we all felt we got more than we paid for.

you can find Capt Tony at http://www.sanddollarcruise.com

We were there in Aug and i have to say our day would be hard to top.

It was our last day of a 7 day cruise and we spent it with Capt Tony on his Sand Dollar catamaran. Sailing, snorkeling, swimming, wading, beach-combing, sunning, shopping and believe it or not relaxing!!!!! it was just what we needed on our last day. He has a beautiful boat and his service in top notch. There were 23 of us age 8-68 and we all felt we got more than we paid for.

you can find Capt Tony at http://www.sanddollarcruise.com

I can second Bart's recommendation for the Sand Dollar. Hands down, it was the BEST snorkeling cruise I have ever been on. I have snorkled in many places, but have never seen so many fish in my life. Also, we were lucky enough to see (6) dolphins swim right next to us when we were snorkeling. Tony and his crew worked very hard to make our day special. The food and drinks were yummy (try the Fire in De Hole rum)!!

Archived