Level of service and attention cruisers get?

keywesst

I'm just curious. When you're in Key West for such a short time, do you feel like you're getting decent service wherever you go, or do we have a bad reputation and get repugnant attitude and lousy service? I'm not impacted much by cruisers (or "boat people" as some call you) but would like opinions on your assesment of KW service in general. I really hope I see more posts in a positive light, but raise the question anyway.

Also take into account that retail shops, especially tshirt shops, have a bad reputation for lousy service to everyone that walks in the door. I'm more interested in the food/drink industry and if you feel slighted or given poor service compared to the table next to you who seem to be locals. (We can spot you at 1000 yards, but that's a different story).

We've visited Key West on cruise ships and on our own accord. As far as restaurants go, I have never noticed a different level of service between when we were on a ship or traveling by ourselves. We do tend to dine in mid-range and higher priced restaurants. That might make the difference because thsoe places do have good service most times anyway.

The surliest service I have had is in the Tortuga rum cake place. They are routinely indifferent there.

• 3 weeks later...

hmmm well we are mostly guest by land but we have also been there a few times by cruise line (infact we will be there the Nov 4th by cruise) we were just there 3 weeks ago ( took the fast boat down and stayed at NAS). But to answer your question we have never been treated differently either way. I find most shop owners and restaurant staff very nice and friendly and providing good service. We are big fans of Key West so I really have nothing bad to say about it anyway LOL :)

We've been there twice now as a result of cruise ships, and we're headed back again in about two weeks. I've never felt slighted by any shop owners, restaurant staff or people walking on the streets. Yes, I'm sure we're easy to spot as tourists, but we have found everyone in Key West very pleasant (so far!). I'll have to revisit this thread after our trip and let you know if anything changes this time. ;)

We've been to Key West both by driving, twice, and by cruise ship twice and as far as I am concerned the locals treat you about the same no matter how you get there.

As you mention the T-shirt shop operators tend to be surly and generally lately seem to mostly speak with a European or Russian accent. But if you stop for a drink, the bartender and waitresses seem to treat you like everone else as long as you have cash to pay and to tip.

We have been nicely treated by people in the restaurants and especially when we stayed there several days by locals who we saw more than once.

I'm not sure anyplace that gets a lot of tourists doesn't have a certain amount of problems with how locals treat tourists.

By the way we live in Central Florida about 15 miles from Disney and see a lot of tourists and some of them may deserve to be treated the way they are. Maybe that is why we go out of our way not to act that way when we travel.

Have a great next cruise and a good time in Key West.

see a lot of tourists and some of them may deserve to be treated the way they are. Maybe that is why we go out of our way not to act that way when we travel.

Have a great next cruise and a good time in Key West.

That is the key, in my opinion. If you come with an attitude expect to get the same. On the other hand if you show up friendly, happy and relaxed you will experience great service in Key West as long as you stay out of those tee shirt shops on lower Duval.

Mike:)

Archived