Best Snorkeling - Bonaire, St. Maarten or Dominica

as41shots

We're taking the Summit in December, and plan to do at least one snorkeling trip. Any recommendations? We have excursions planned in Grenada and Aruba, so that leaves St. Maarten, Dominica and Bonaire?

Also, can you recommend any "outside" tours in these locations?

Thanks.

We are doing this cruise in January. From my research, this is our first time to most of these ports, I have read that Bonaire is the best for snorkeling.

We booked independantly with with Woodwind (although, as stated, we have never been there before or used this fellow!).

We sailed this itinerary on the Summit last March. Our best port day was Dominica, largely because of the tour we booked through Levi Baron's Bumpiing Tours. (http://www.bumpiingtours.com) He has several different tours available, or will work with you to arrange a day including the things that you want to do.

The day we were in Dominica, Levi was already booked by some of our Cruise Critic roll call buddies. He sent us with his guide Garry, who was great. We visited Emerald Pool, Trafalgar Falls, the suphur springs, Mr. Nice's fruit stand and Champagne Reef. We were disappointed that we were not able to make a planned stop at Titou Gorge, because heavy rains the night before had made it unsafe to swim in the river.

Garry was able to time our stops so that we stayed ahead of the buses with cruise line shore excursions. This greatly added to our enjoyment of Emerald Pool and Trafalgar Falls! Along the way, he shared local history and stopped to show us native flowers, fruits, etc.

Although the day was overcast and we didn't see many fish, Champgne Reef was a cool snorkeling experience. Volcanic vents under the water release tiny bubbles along the reef, hence the name.

Garry had a cooler of water and local beer for us, but, other than Mr. Nice's fruit samples, we had a long, active, day with no food. (Not a big problem after overeating on the ship, but we were really ready for a late lunch when we got back!)

We dove in Bonaire with a dive operator that I would NOT recommend. Others enjoyed snorkeling at Klein Beach, I think. We have been to St. Martin several times, so we used that day to relax on the ship while it was quiet. On other trips, we have enjoyed the America's Cup Sailing excursion offered through the ship and taken a cab to Orient Beach on our own to enjoy the beach.

Have a great trip. I hope you enjoy the Summit and ports as much as we did!

bonaire would be the place to snorkel. we had hired renee's snorkeling for a private snorkeling tour, but had to cancel as our itinerary was changed. her trip sounded great.i don't remember her web site so just google her.

we have spent a good deal of time in st. maarten and would consider it a great beach stop, but not for snorkeling. we plan on renting a car there and heading to dawn beach for the morning, on to the lolos in grand case for lunch, and then another beach for the afternoon.

we,too,have hired levi for dominica. this is one of the most beautiful and unspoiled islands in the caribbean. a land tour here is highly recommended. it is an island infrequently visited on cruises and should not be missed.we cruise the caribbean yearly and this will be only our second time here.

steve

aruba is not my thing. we have spent many weeks there with friends who have a timeshare. i find it to be a very sterile, americanized place. the beaches in eagle area are beautiful, but no local flavor. usually we stay onboard. that is why i am happy celebrity subbed barbados for aruba on our upcoming cruise.

steve

When we were in Bonaire, we took a cab to Airport Beach and had some of the best snorkeling ever. There is nothing to rent there, so you have to have your own equipment. It was an interesting beach and the planes fly in right over your head. It's not a long cab ride.

We did this cruise last year, and snorkeled in Bonaire with Renee. She is quite a character, and we went to 3 different places. After being there once, I think you could go anywhere and find great snorkeling on your own as well.

Thanks for all of the great replies.

It seems like it's Bonair for snorkeling and Dominica for a land cruise.

Sportsmum, to answer your question, in Aruba I have chartered a boat and will be going fishing with the kids. We will be there on Xmas day.

Happy cruising to all. :D

Archived