Considering cruise on Mercury-have a few questions

dixieva

Hello-I'm considering a cruise on the Mercury out of Baltimore next year. I have a question about the Sunset Verandah rooms on the Panorama deck. These rooms are in the aft-#8263 and 8265.

Does anyone know if the queen bed can be seperated into 2 twins? It doesn't look like it can from the diagram of the room. I'll be traveling with my adult daughter and we need 2 beds.

Also, how are these aft balconies? Are they covered or can anyone look down on them from above?

I just returned from a cruise with my first corner aft balcony on the Grandeur of the Seas and it was awsome!

Thanks for the help.

The beds do not come apart and if you opt to share, one person will have to climb over the other.

I hope you are teasing about having to climb over the other. Please explain. We've booked the Sunset Verandah cabin. In other cabins it's possible to make a queen into a double.

Thanks for explaning.

From what I understand, one side of the bed is up against the wall, meaning that person has to climb over their companion to get out of bed. I think the issue about not making it two beds is that the wall is only as wide as the queen bed. But would another option be using the fold out couch in the other room so you can still enjoy the perks of the FV?

There is another bed, well infact two other beds in that room. In the back section of the room, past the divider there is Pullman bed and a fold out sofa bed. We stayed in on of these rooms just after the refit where they converted them from ocean view to verands. We did not know about the fold out bed, so instead one of the kids slept on the bottom "bunk". It can either fold out into a doubel sofa bed or remain in place as a day bed. Then there is always the top bunk!!!

Thanks for the relpies. I was afraid that the bed could not be changed into 2 twins. Glad I found out before I booked it. I wonder how comfortable the sofa bed would be. I've slept on some on cruise ships that are not so bad and others that are very, very bad.

Anyone know anything about the aft balcony?

Will be in SV 8224 on Mercury next Monday...........

And yes, we (just two of us) are aware of the 'bed situation' :eek:

However, we're looking forward to our extra little parlor room, as well as (hopefully) a great AFT balcony and view ;)

Report to follow !!

Can't wait to hear all about it!

Could you check out the couch and tell me if you think it would be ok to sleep on? That would be great. I really like the arrangement of the room but don't want to sleep with my thirty-something daughter:eek: ! Maybe we could take turns sleeping on the couch. Or maybe they have a rollaway bed that could be brought in. I think there is room for that in there.

Have a wonderful cruise!

We just booked 4 of the SV cabins on the Feb 1, 2010 Baltimore sailing on Mercury on the Penthouse deck. For those of you who have sailed in this category - can you tell me if there are mini-fridges in these cabins. If so, are they filled with alchohol and snacks? Can you ask your steward to remove them (we are travelling with young children, and don't want them getting into this stuff).

Thanks for the relpies. I was afraid that the bed could not be changed into 2 twins. Glad I found out before I booked it. I wonder how comfortable the sofa bed would be. I've slept on some on cruise ships that are not so bad and others that are very, very bad.

Anyone know anything about the aft balcony?

Booked 3 of these cabins for 11/9/09 cruise out of Baltimore. Will have to reconsider one of them, as one of them will have twins.

The regular size bed is good then? No climbing over each other?

A picture's worth 1000 words.....

This is SV 8261. Two weeks ago we had SV 1156, which I much prefer as the verandah is larger and it's much quieter. The room layout, however, is much better than a CC room unless you don't want to crawl over your partner. We have already booked SV 1156 for our next Mercury cruise.

2946182060091901655S425x425Q85.jpg

2762685650091901655S425x425Q85.jpg

2543942900091901655S425x425Q85.jpg

wa.mama: Thanks for the pictures.........with just over THREE days until we leave, this was a lovely Bon Voyage gift !!

Yes, we would have preferred to be on the penthouse deck, but it wasn't available so are in # 8224 and also feel that the layout is much better than a CC.......and that "sleeping arrangement" might be romantic !!

But could you let me know if that is always the set-up on the verandah (a table & two chairs) or could we have loungers there?? Also, how many people would you say can comfortably enjoy some "wine at sunset" out there???

Thanks,

BettyNL

wa.mama: Thanks for the pictures.........with just over THREE days until we leave, this was a lovely Bon Voyage gift !!

Yes, we would have preferred to be on the penthouse deck, but it wasn't available so are in # 8224 and also feel that the layout is much better than a CC.......and that "sleeping arrangement" might be romantic !!

But could you let me know if that is always the set-up on the verandah (a table & two chairs) or could we have loungers there?? Also, how many people would you say can comfortably enjoy some "wine at sunset" out there???

Thanks,

BettyNL

Thanks,

BettyNL

Betty,

I think maybe the loungers would fit but you'd have to lose the table and chairs. Also, sunset with wine and cheese (call your room service beforehand) was one of our favorites - we had 4 on the veranda but it was crowded. Have a great time!

• 3 months later...
A picture's worth 1000 words.....

This is SV 8261. Two weeks ago we had SV 1156, which I much prefer as the verandah is larger and it's much quieter. The room layout, however, is much better than a CC room unless you don't want to crawl over your partner. We have already booked SV 1156 for our next Mercury cruise.

2946182060091901655S425x425Q85.jpg

2762685650091901655S425x425Q85.jpg

2543942900091901655S425x425Q85.jpg

We've booked 1156 for the Jan. 23, 2010, cruise from Baltimore. How much larger is the balcony, and what else did you like about it?

But would another option be using the fold out couch in the other room

I wouldn't recommend the couch/bed unless they have changed them since October.

They are extremely uncomfortable!! As in metal rod/bar thru the middle of your back. We nick-named ours the "back-breaking-hip-bruiser'!! BUT we weren't in that category of cabins so perhaps the ones (like in the picture above) are more comfy.

The pullman bed that another poster mentioned might be better.

Archived