Snorkel in Grand Cayman or Cozumel

2VV

Ok, this may be simular to the Scuba post but I dont think they are the same. We are visiting Grand Cayman and Cozumel on a Dec 6 Inspiration cruise, I am taking my wife and a total of five kids, 20,20,16,16 and 11. We want to snorkel on one stop and just hang out on the beach on the other stop. Which out of the two has decent snorkel tours and is there easy to find beaches at either stops?

Ok, this may be simular to the Scuba post but I dont think they are the same. We are visiting Grand Cayman and Cozumel on a Dec 6 Inspiration cruise, I am taking my wife and a total of five kids, 20,20,16,16 and 11. We want to snorkel on one stop and just hang out on the beach on the other stop. Which out of the two has decent snorkel tours and is there easy to find beaches at either stops?

Grand Cayman provides both, but not at the same location. Going south of Georgetown provides good shore snorkeling at Eden Rock or the Sunset House resort. But snorkeling is good because this is "ironshore" or reef up to the land. But go North of Georgetown and you find seven mile beach (actually I think it's something like 5 miles) but it's sugar-fine sand and lots of places to do beach time. Good news about this is if you're in for most of a day you can start out by snorkeling in the morning then short taxi and do the beach in the afternoon. Also shore snorkeling in Grand Cayman is especially good for kids since the water's gin clear and calm with no current.

Randall

In G Cayman you can take the stingray trip. Don't go with the cruise excursion (cattle boat, and often only 1 stop). There are many non-ship excursions taking you to one stop for stingray sandbar and another for reef snorkeling.

The Eden Rock is only a few hundred yards south of the cruise terminal where you can snorkel. No beach though.

In Cozumel many people like Paradise Beach. We think it wasn't bad either. But for good snorkeling it'd be better to go by boat, a little further from shore.

Thanks, I was looking at the Sea Grape Beach excursion that Carnival offers in GC, They offer snorkeling for an extra fee, anyone been here? Its 29.00 per person from the ship, not sure if it would be much better on your own. Is this beach part of the 7 mile beach?

I have heard of Paradise Beach, and checked out their website, looks like alot of fun for kids, Is this a popular spot to spend time in Cozumel? Are there simular spots like this I can check out? What would taxi service run from the ship to Paradise?

Thanks for your replies. We are new to these stops and dont know much about them.

Kevin

Definitely Snorkel Cozumel. Beach it at GC.

Coz is world class diving/snorkeling with great reefs.

Avoid the ship snorkel cattle call boats and book thru an independent.

There are a number of first class operators.

Here are a couple:

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/

http://www.xaac.com/mantaray/id20.htm

This is a good Coz web site:

http://cozumelinsider.com/

My opinion, from a snorkelers point of view, is snorkel the Palancar Reef when you are in Cozumel, and go to Rum Point for a fantastic beach day on Grand Cayman. Our last time visiting these ports I was also with young adults about the ages you will have. Rum Pointe was a picture perfect location and we had a great time.

Have fun!!!! Cherie

Post Wilma I find the snorkeling in Grand Cayman far superior to Cozumel. Also the excursions from independents tend to be among the cheapest anywhere.

There are a number (e.g. Soto's cruises, Navtiveway,etc.) of vendors in Grand Cayman that will take you to Stingray Sandbar (a must see) and a snorkel stop for a very reasonable fee.

After the tour, most will drop you off at 7 mile beach - typically around Sea Grape, if you ask them to.

You would need to get back to the ship on your own. About $4-$5pp by taxi or $2.50pp by public bus (van).

About the Carnival tour - it would probably cost you $10pp for round trip transportation and maybe another $10 for a lounge chair rental. A couple of bucks or so for a soda. If you take a public bus (more likely a van), transportation would be cheaper.

I would not plan on the snorkeling being much good along 7 mile beach unless you are at the northern end at Cemetery Beach, but there are no facilities there.

Thanks, we have decided to do the stingray tour in GC, our Carnival agent talked us into it, and after looking into it more it looks worth it, we will however book independantly, most have a short snorkel time, and spend a little time on the beach afterwards.

Thanks for everyones advice, now to plan Cozumel, I still think we will snorkel there as well and spend time on one of their beaches.

I would definately snorkel in Cozumel as the sea life is amazing in relatively shallow waters allowing great visibility. If you can, go to Columbia shallows for more sea creatures than you could ever imagine. In grand cayman, don't do the ship excursion. Use Naitive Way excursions at nativway@candw.ky They are amazing. They will take you in smaller groups and do three stops on an excusion with personal attention.

Good luck.

I snorkeled in both Cozumel (at chankanaab, which we were told was the "best" place to snorkel----on a cruise excursion) and in Grand Cayman (several places while there for a week). In our case, Grand Cayman was far superior for snorkeling then Cozumel. Smith Rock near Georgetown is excellent, but my favorite was a place they called Coral Gardens near Stingray Sandbar. I think you can only get to Coral Gardens by taking a Stingray excursion.

In my opinion, Grand Cayman has way better snorkeling than Cozumel since the hurricane hit Cozumel. We were sorely disappointed with Cozumel two years ago, compared to what it was like four years ago. Grand Caymen is always amazing to me.

If you want to snorkel and beach in Cozumel, there are a number of beach clubs that are just south of the ship docks. Paradise is only one. There is the Moneybar, and a Nachi-Cocum and others. They all have snorkeling equipment right there and you pay to use the facilities, which usually includes the non-motorized water sports like kayaking, snorkeling, etc. They have a bar and restaurant and showers and some have an All-inclusive package in which you can eat and drink all day for one price. Do a search, or check out the Cozumel Port of Call threads. Lots of info there.

Archived