Grand Princess Jan 16 2009

Aldo Ray

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Vickie and Bernie

Sorry I am so late in responding. I left for Texas and when I got back my computer took a downward spiral. I ended up ordering a new one from Dell and I hope this one last longer than 2 years.

My travel buddy has decided to cancil many of our trips due to the stockmarket problem. He was supposed to go to Texas with me but backed out. I am less concerned and still plan to go on the Grand Princess. When I cruise solo I always pick a line that has assigned dining as I don't like to dine alone. I did a BtoB last March on NCL's Jewel with another buddy and every night we sat at a table for 2. It was OK but I prefer a larger table.

Aldo :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Aldo, just got off the Star for 10 nights to Mexico it was great.

I agree go solo and enjoy -- life is too short.

We are flying in to Fort Lauderdale three nights early to get use to the time change of 3 hours we are staying at the Rennaissance Plantation.

Hope you check our roll call on the other board, would love for you to join our get togethers.

Also if you want to send me a picture of yourself I will add it to the list and will forward back the list so you can easilly identify everyone. Then you will know some people.

Vickie

Not on your sailing, but we will be a few ports at the same time as you. We are on Emerald Princess and will be Barbados, St Kitts and St Thomas as the same time.

Don't be shy about the "any time dining" with Princess. When you get to the entrance, they ask whether you would like a table on your own, or if you would like to join a large table. They fill large tables of 8 or 10 with singles and couples as they arrive. The choice is yours, and in so doing you can get to sit with many different folks over the length of the cruise.

Not on your sailing, but we will be a few ports at the same time as you. We are on Emerald Princess and will be Barbados, St Kitts and St Thomas as the same time.

Don't be shy about the "any time dining" with Princess. When you get to the entrance, they ask whether you would like a table on your own, or if you would like to join a large table. They fill large tables of 8 or 10 with singles and couples as they arrive. The choice is yours, and in so doing you can get to sit with many different folks over the length of the cruise.

you must be from Calgary with a name like yyjguy - we are in yvr aka Vancouver.

Yes anytime dining is a great way to meet others that is why we love it.

We have friends sailing on the Emerald that sailed with us last Jan on the Emerald. We are doing an excursion together in Barbados and drinks I believe together in st. kitts

Vickie----Those airport codes eh!! I see where YOW (Ottawa) YWG (Winnipeg) and YVR (Vancouver) come from, but YYZ (Toronto) YQR (Regina) and YYJ (Victoria) have me stumped!!! Just across the pond really.

of course YYJ is Victoria silly me -- I use to work for Canadian Airlines back in the day... I do know there is a reason for those codes but like you I don't know what they are.

So you are on the Emerald, have you sailed her before? We loved her and would sail her or her sister ships again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Aldo Ray. I was wondering where your 2008 holiday soujourn might take you? We booked on the Amsterdam very last minute as of Thursday, doing a run around Cape Horn starting the 15th December ... was wondering if the third time might be the charm! Safe travels. Scott.

Hi Scott

The third time would br great but not this time. I am leaving Fri Dec 12th for Disneyworld. I'll be staying with 2 couples. It should be fun as everything is over the top with decoprations. In March I am headed back to Puerto Vallarta for 2 weeks of sunshine (gotta keep my tan).

Will it be cool cruising around the Horn? I looked into this cruise and had thought about it instead of the Grand Princess in Jan but was afraid that the temps would not be suitable for sunning.

Enrique;)

It's sort of a summer to winter to summer thing -- 30 deg C in Santiago and Rio and 10 - 15 deg around the Horn, and I expect Antarctica will be close to 0 deg. We've never done an Alaska itin, which I suppose would be similar, so no idea what to expect really.

It will be close to Solstice at the Cape and the Wilhelm Archipelago, so I expect nearly 24 hours of daylight ... might ratchet up the tanning opportunity a bit, if you could get your coat off!! Heheh.

As for pricing, there are great deals abound ... we booked on an HH outside guarantee for 2200USDpp all in, and we just got our cabin assignment as being a B cat verandah! Perhaps you could work this in?

Scott.

• 3 weeks later...

hey Scott

I just returned from Disneyworld and the waether was a fantastic 80 degrees most days. I even went to a waterpark on my last day and the water and sunshine felt great. I will be interested to see what you thought of your South American cruise.

Anyone else going on the Grand Princess Jan 16th??????

I do hope to meet some family.

Enrique

Hello fellow cruisers. After a nice snow covered Christmas, temps warmed up yesterday enough to melt all the snow. This morning we awoke to a freezing rain storm so now we are incased in ice. This weather is sure going to make cruising even more appealing. I am glad I am flying to Ft Lauderdale 2 nights before the cruise (just a little cruise insurance).

Enrique

Hi Aldo, how was your Christmas? I am sorry I can't recall where you live... We are in Vancouver and we had a white christmas, very nice.

We hope to meet you on the ship. Are you planning on attending any of the Meet and Greets planned?

are you still sailing solo?

We are getting together for sail away at the Oasis bar which is deck 16 (i think) all the way aft, higest deck, just below the walkway to skywalkers. We are also having a formal meet and greet on the first sea day at 10 in skywalkers.

Hopefully we will meet at one of these.

Did you want to arrange a meet? Maybe breakfast the first sea day? something casual?

vickie

Hey Aldo, too bad you're not on the Jan. 30 Grand when I'm cruising. I'm not "family" but am travelling solo. You should join the roll call for your cruise. This is a great way to meet people to hang out with or go on excursions with. Vickie and Bernie are also on my cruise and they sound like a fun couple. When we Canadians get away from our cold weather, we tend to be a lot of fun to hang around with. :D Have a fabulous cruise.

If there is anyone on the Jan. 30 Grand cruise, join our roll call. We have a great group and are planning some excursions together.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Vickie and Bernie

I will look you up at the Oasis Bar during sail a way.

It is so cold hear I am really looking forward to escaping this winter if only for a couple of weeks.;)

Great! ARe you still travelling solo? Well you can see what I look like and Bernie - I am sure he will still have his ball cap on that day too he rarely leaves home without it.

Yes very very wet here, rain just hasn't let up. I need sunshine or I may just grow webbed feet.

Archived