Deadliest catch boat Ketchikan

wvufan

The first time we went to Ketchikan, we took the Misty Fjord float plane trip, which may be the best excursion in Alaska.

However, if you have already done that or want an alternative, please consider the deadliest catch boat. We did that a couple weeks ago and it was the highlight of our cruise this time.

They have traps already set before you go out. We pulled in king and other crabs, an octopus, and a wolf head eel. Fed eagles. But, nothing can match the stories from the crew who had actually worked these boats for years. Also, they had a video of when this boat had been hit by a rogue wave and had to be abandoned. Anyway, my description is hardly adequate-everyone who was on the trip agreed it was fantastic.

Thanks to BQ and all others who contibute so much to the Alaska board-by far the best port board on CC.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

• Administrators
The first time we went to Ketchikan, we took the Misty Fjord float plane trip, which may be the best excursion in Alaska.

However, if you have already done that or want an alternative, please consider the deadliest catch boat. We did that a couple weeks ago and it was the highlight of our cruise this time.

They have traps already set before you go out. We pulled in king and other crabs, an octopus, and a wolf head eel. Fed eagles. But, nothing can match the stories from the crew who had actually worked these boats for years. Also, they had a video of when this boat had been hit by a rogue wave and had to be abandoned. Anyway, my description is hardly adequate-everyone who was on the trip agreed it was fantastic.

Thanks to BQ and all others who contibute so much to the Alaska board-by far the best port board on CC.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

We are big fans of this one, too. :) In fact, I'm currently dangling this one as my "hook" to see if I can get my SO to agree to a land tour followed by a SB cruise next summer -- "AND... we can do the Deadliest Catch tour on the Aleutian Ballad again, honey!" :D The Aleutian Ballad herself, as well as Dave, Kiwi, and the rest of the crew were just great. I had to laugh -- I was looking at my most recent AAA "Going Places" magazine's article on Alaska '09 and turned a page and there was a photo of Kiwi with an octopus draped across his shoulder!

We are wanting to do the same excursion The Deadliest Catch Tour when we are in Ketchikan, which is the best to book thru NCL or Independent which I'm sure is way cheaper. If I book independent who should I book through and what is the price? I would like to get this done ASAP to guarantee we have our 3 spots. Any advice would be great.

Thanks so much. :)

• Administrators
We are wanting to do the same excursion The Deadliest Catch Tour when we are in Ketchikan, which is the best to book thru NCL or Independent which I'm sure is way cheaper. If I book independent who should I book through and what is the price? I would like to get this done ASAP to guarantee we have our 3 spots. Any advice would be great.

Thanks so much. :)

Here's a link to their website -- http://www.56degreesnorth.com They have a booking button on the site.

We did this in August 2007 on HAL. We LOVED it!!!!! We booked independ. Anything booked thru the cruiseline is more expensive. We had originally planned to do something else that day but it was cancelled and we were able to book it right at the dock at the kiosk. LUCKY!!

:D

We did this in August 2007 on HAL. We LOVED it!!!!! We booked independ. Anything booked thru the cruiseline is more expensive. We had originally planned to do something else that day but it was cancelled and we were able to book it right at the dock at the kiosk. LUCKY!!:D

Do you remember what you paid when you booked it at the dock?

Just a note- I was looking at the thread about the Alaska Coupon Books and one of them had this tour as Buy one get one free! I don't recall which book, but there is a thread about them with links where you can check all the coupon listings!

Do you rememeber what the thread was or the link by chance? Thanks so much.

You can't book directly through the tour company for '09 yet; however, you can through your cruise line. The price is the same no matter who you book through -- $149.00 ($99.00 for kids).

I tend to book independently of the cruise lines, but didn't want to miss out on this one, so booked through NCL as soon as they opened the shore excursion bookings. Hope it's as good as everyone says it is! (I live in the Seattle area - have spent a lot of time on boats -- fishing, shrimping, crabbing, etc. - so I'm worried it won't have that same "wow" factor it might if I lived in the midwest! ;) )

According to their website, if you're arriving in Ketchikan via NCL, Princess, HAL, RCCL, or Celebrity, you need to book through the cruiseline. I'd like to use the Toursaver coupon so would like to book directly with the tour operator. Have others sailing on one of the listed cruiselines been able to book directly with the vendor??

Thanks!

According to their website, if you're arriving in Ketchikan via NCL, Princess, HAL, RCCL, or Celebrity, you need to book through the cruiseline. I'd like to use the Toursaver coupon so would like to book directly with the tour operator. Have others sailing on one of the listed cruiselines been able to book directly with the vendor??

I want to do this next year also. They don't list prices for next year and don't show the 2009 calendar. Just info to contact them. I will be on a HAL cruise and think I'm just going to book thru HAL within the next month or so and get that cost out of the way.

• 2 weeks later...
I am also an avid viewer of the TV series and had a nice suprise while in Homer a few weeks back to come across the Time Bandit.

Occasionally other Deadliest Catch boats are in Ketchikan.

The Cornelia Marie was in drydock for repairs when we were there. We hunted down the boat...only Deadliest Catch fans will understand why anyone would wander around in the rain for an "up close and personal" photo op.

So, if you're interested, ask if any other DC boat is in town and where it's tied up.

P.S. - We were told the crew's favorite watering hole in Ketchikan is the First City Saloon.

Archived