Washington to Newark

sddsddean

Thinking way ahead here, but we are planning on visiting Washington prior to our cruise out of Cape Liberty in Dec '09. Looked at the air fares and compared with the train. The Acela Express is about 1/3 the flight price and only takes about 2 1/2 hours(flight just over an hour, but add on security,checkin etc will probably be about the same), but just wanted to see what our US cousins opinion was. Is it a good idea to use the Acela? Whats punctuality like? Looks like if we get the 11am train, we get to Newark around 1.30pm giving us 2 hours to get to the ship. Seems OK to me, but is it? Any opinions gratefully recieved. Oh, and is there plenty of room for luggage?

Simon

PS I love train travel, so I'm quite happy to do it if its OK.

i agree with smeyer.....do not take regular amtrak service as the trains are usually packed. and the acela equipment is probably more like what you have in the UK.....while standard amtrak trains aren't bad, they aren't great! It is however, a great way to see our country!!

acela, while more expensive is better.....IIRC there should be space for bags.

there is Red Cap service in Washington Union station. (which, in itself is very lovely-lots of little places to eat and browse through shops!) Plus you woul have access to the Club Acela lounge...at least they are comfy seats, cable TV news, clean restrooms, soft drinks and little snacks...(pretzels, chips, mini muffins), a couple computers and a printer (free to use) plus free wireless.....most of the attendants in the lounge are very nice as well!

www.unionstationdc.com

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Route/Vertical_Route_Page&cid=1080772074490

there are bins ( like in a plane ) for bags, as well as racks at the ends of the cars....click on the "launch amenities" link on the above website, then on other amenities when the new window pops up!

have fun!

Thanks for the replies. We would definately be going on the Acela rather than the normal NE Corridor. Regarding timing, I think we have to be on board by 4pm, so say latest at Cape Liberty is 3.30. Isn't 2 hours enough to get from Newark station to C. Liberty?

Simon

You need to check in 90 minutes before sailing(at least if you are US passport holders, I assume you hold UK but still, be safe). Two hours is a better bet, all sorts of new safety government regs. The Acela is a joy and there is plenty of space for luggage. Enjoy:)

B.

Thanks for the replies. We would definately be going on the Acela rather than the normal NE Corridor. Regarding timing, I think we have to be on board by 4pm, so say latest at Cape Liberty is 3.30. Isn't 2 hours enough to get from Newark station to C. Liberty?

Simon

The cruise line has to transmit the final on board manifest 1 hour before the ship sails to US Homeland insecurity... Most cruise lines are requiring that you complete your check in and on board 90 minutes before the ships sailing time(NCL says 2 hours)...I wouldn't wait to be there 30 minutes before. For planning purposes with delays you really should plan to be at the cruise terminal no later than 2 hours before it leaves.

Don't discount the normal NE corridor trains. For a small investment in time, you can actually save a lot of $$$$. Yes Acela is bigger and better. But the NE corridor trains are not durance vile. The seats are large and roomy - better than any airplane. They have electrical outlets. You will be getting on at the train origin. You will have a choice of seats. Yes it might become crowded along the way, but you will be all set.

It would be a different story if we were recommending the local trains. They are much more commuter oriented and a lot less expensive. But the Northeast Corridor trains are totally acceptable if not as fancy as the Acela Express.

OK, thanks again everyone. Perhaps we will go for the 10am train arriving Newark 12.30. I reckon it should only take about 30 mins from the station to Cape Liberty as it looks to be a journey of around 9 miles in the cab. I'll look at the cost comparison and timings of the NE Corridor trains too.

Simon

tompeter...i sit corrected! (actually i have only been in the lounges when in sleepers on long distance trains or with passes from being in the rewards program)

And yes, the NE corridor trains are OK.....but i think the regular seats are a little squishy. YES, they are better than a plane...but, i might pop for business class.....better seat, and free soft drink.....and a little less crowded.

the airport station is about 20 minutes away.........but you're paying for the 1st day of the cruise, you may as well try and get on the ship early!

PLUS..you never know when something wacky will happen. amtrak owns the tracks in the NE coridor (LONG story) so these trains don't have to wait on freight like other ones....but every once in a while some sortt of power trouble will delay things!!

Archived