Luggage Tags Attached Ahead of Time???

MESH

In November we are flying to Barcelona, Spain from Milwaukee in order to sail on the Century. Having cruised numerous times, we are going the day before the sailing and took advantage of making all arrangements through Celebrity so we don't have to worry about transportation to the ship etc.

I received the cruise booklet, and it tells us to attach the Celebrity luggage identity tags before we fly from Milwaukee.

All of the other cruises I have taken when we arrive a day ahead of time has been to attach these tags at the hotel on the day we board the ship.

Just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Thanks again for your help.

I would not attach the luggage tags until we are ready to leave the hotel for the ship. In the past, the cruise line often had made arrangements for your luggage to be claimed at the airport (by them) and it was taken directly to the ship. Since you are going to have a night in a hotel first, you will want to assure that you are claiming your luggage yourself to take to your hotel.

The only other possibility would be if Celebrity is providing the transfers to the hotel and they have arrangements to also automatically transfer the luggage. You probably should call Celebrity or your TA to assure yourselves as to the procedure.

Hypo

Years ago they automatically picked up luggage at airports but no more. It presented lots of problems. In fact we never let them automatically take our luggage. We always wanted to see that it really arrived at our destination.

I would not put any tags on your bags until you at least collect them at the destination airport.

What if the luggage is lost or didn't arrive with your flight?

Wouldn't you want for them to know where to send it?

If you have the tags attached they can save some time and

possible arrive at the ship before sailing. That's what my common sense

is telling me, but probably they have a different criteria for lost luggages!

Obviously people can't agree on this. BUT since you are doing cruise air...THEY pick up your bags I believe, and help transport you with your bags. It must make it easier to identify them, they have all the directions where to transport you to, which hotel etc. We've always put them on ahead and had no problems...but we usually put then on a different handle than the aircarriers tags went on to avoid confusion! In the old days you got ones on hangtags, we saved them after cruise and put them INSIDE on a strap or whatever...(they always advise that you have your name inside your bags)....and these had your home address info hand printed by yourself clearly. Still have them in old cases from a cruise 10yrs ago!:)

You have to pick up your own bags before boarding the motorcoach to the hotel.

I would attach the tags before leaving home just in case the bags get lost.

Then they'll know to forward it to the ship.

Cruisingly Yours

What if the luggage is lost or didn't arrive with your flight?

Wouldn't you want for them to know where to send it?

If you have the tags attached they can save some time and

possible arrive at the ship before sailing. That's what my common sense

is telling me, but probably they have a different criteria for lost luggages!

OK...that's is a different perspective. A ray of hope that there may be some person somewhere who gets the connection between the tags if the bag is lost or misdirected. I'd like to believe that this kind of thinking and procedure is possible with this approach considering all the lost bag stories that never show up anywhere.

In November we are flying to Barcelona, Spain from Milwaukee in order to sail on the Century. Having cruised numerous times, we are going the day before the sailing and took advantage of making all arrangements through Celebrity so we don't have to worry about transportation to the ship etc.

I received the cruise booklet, and it tells us to attach the Celebrity luggage identity tags before we fly from Milwaukee.

All of the other cruises I have taken when we arrive a day ahead of time has been to attach these tags at the hotel on the day we board the ship.

Just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Thanks again for your help.

We flew to Venice last year & we also went a day ahead & put our tags on because the cruise booklet said so, hoping if our luggage was delayed it would make it to the cruise ship. That was our logic any way, as it turned out when we did finally make it to Venice the Cruise Tags were off 3 pieces of luggage out of 4. It really was no problem as they had them at check in & we filled out new one's then. The thing to have to consider is if you don't put them before you leave home then where will your luggage go if you have already checked out of your hotel & are now on the cruise!!!!!!!

You will love Europe have a fabulous time.

Shirley

Here are my reasons:

1) The tag may confuse someone, including the luggage handlers at the airport.

2) The tag could get damaged or removed by someone/something, either intentionally or unintentionally during the flight.

3) Especially for international flights, you have to claim your luggage to go through immigration anyways...as far as I know, there's no way for Celebrity people to pick your bags up for you. If you are taking a Celebrity transfer bus from the airport to your hotel, you might want to put the tags on after you clear immigration.

Instead of putting the tags on before we leave home, we actually make a simple document describing our itinerary (flight info, hotel info, cruise info) and contact information and place that document in an envelope labeled with huge letters "PLEASE READ THIS IF YOU FIND THIS BAG." We place the envelopes inside each of our bags (even carryons). This way, in a case of the bags "missing in action," you will feel better that maybe someone can help you reunite with that bag sooner than later. We never had any problems with our luggages in the past cruises, and we have no idea if this works, but I would think that this is probably more effective than a pre-printed luggage tag that has no information other than the name of the ship, sailing date, and the location of your cabin.

If I'm not mistaking, the airlines don't want any tags on the bags other than the luggage tags they put on the bags. We checked some bags once and they just ripped off all the other tags. This was American Airlines and we were cruising.

We had extra tags and put them back on at the pier. You can put them on...just keep the extras. :D

I have sailed on 25 cruises my opinon is once you collect your luggage then put on your cuise luggage tags. The very last thing you want to do is confuse the airlines, they have enough of a hard time trying to keep their own destination tags correct. I also make a copy of my itineary & put it in the outside pocket of the pieces of checked luggage.

Archived