Barcelona - Montserrat - Same Day?

Leaving next weekend on a cruise stopping in Barcelona and was planning on just doing the HoHo bus in Barcelona to see a few of the sites, mainly I would like to go into Sagrada Familia. I've noticed on the ship's website they have a trip to Montserrat taking an hour to get there and then the little train to the site. Leaves at 9:00 and gets back at 2:00, dropping people at the bottom of Las Ramblas or the ship, whichever you prefer. Question is - The price the ship is chargingfor its excursion is comparable to private tours of Montserrat I see so if I did the 9:00 a.m. trip and (hopefully) back to bottom of Las Ramblas at 2:00, would I still have enough time to get to Sagrada Familia (via taxi perhaps) and wander around Barcelona a little before having to be back on the ship at 5:00 for a 6:00 p.m. sailing? If you all think that's pushing it, I'll drop the Montserrat idea and just stick to Barcelona on the HoHo. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

we did this on our own in sept, we took a taxi to the train station then took the train to montserrat aeri and took the cable car up, we arrived early got in line to see the black virgin walked around a little and then headed back to barcelona, really easy to do, we did not go to see la sagrada but would have had plenty of time to do so, we walked las ramblas and had plenty of time.As far as a guided tour its up to you, we didn't feel we needed one and didn't want to waste time hanging around up there and eating lunch.montserrat was beautiful. enjoy your cruise

loraine

You can easily do both in the time you have available! But don't pay for a private tour (unless you want to!) Here is the info on how to do it on your own--and control your time frame that way.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelona-montserrat.html

We are doing this one week from today--yay!

When you get back to the train station just take a taxi to sagrada familia--not that far--maybe 10 minute cab ride--and then cab it back to the ship. Easy as pie! Have fun

Cathy

:) we will be doing a b2b in Feb 2009 and plan to spend Feb15 going to Monserrat..I can walk with no trouble except I cannot walk well on inclines or steps..since you have to buy your ticket b4 your trip and I understand they are not interchangeable do you know anything about the funicular and why did you choose the cable car? our ship doesnt leave port 2/15/09 til 7pm so time is not an issue..thanks for any info you pass along......quote=lilrainy;16759238]we did this on our own in sept, we took a taxi to the train station then took the train to montserrat aeri and took the cable car up, we arrived early got in line to see the black virgin walked around a little and then headed back to barcelona, really easy to do, we did not go to see la sagrada but would have had plenty of time to do so, we walked las ramblas and had plenty of time.As far as a guided tour its up to you, we didn't feel we needed one and didn't want to waste time hanging around up there and eating lunch.montserrat was beautiful. enjoy your cruise

loraine

if I remember correctly there is an incline to walk when you get off the cable car or train there are also some stairs although you do not have to go all the way up to get into the church, We chose the cable car because I had read about how great the view was from them and it really was but you do stand, the ride up is pretty quick. we did not purchase any tickets prior to going we just went to the train stattion via taxi from the port and purchased r/t tickets. You can find the train schedule on the internet just google montserrat ,I do advise you to get to the train station early as the trains fill up and it is an hour ride from barcelona so you want to get a seat

hope this helps

Don't do the hop on hop off bus in Barcelona. A bunch of CC friends did that last year, and it didn't turn out very well. We spent 3 hours on the bus and didn't get to any place of interest. We ended up ditching the bus and walked. We never got to see Segrada Familia. Barcelona has a good subway system. or you can take the ships tour especially since you want to see Montserrat. I'm going to be in Barcelona next year as a stop during my transatlantic cruise. I won't be taking the bus.

Thanks so much for posting your pics of Montserrat. Beautiful. We are on Carnival Freedom's 16 night repositioning cruise and I was telling my travelling companiion about the two shore excursions offered by the ship. One goes just to Montserrat and then drops you off at Las Ramblas or the ship at 2:00 p.m. The other does a tour (including a STOP at Sagrada Familia but NOT inside) and then up to Montserrat and returns at 4 p.m. to the ship for a 5 (I believe, saling). Well, I thought my companion wanted to go INTO Sagrada Familia, turns out he said an outisde view will be just fine so I think we are opting for the 8 hour full day tour from 8 to 4. He reminded me that he's 67 (I'm 56) and he's just not up to a lot to the running around we used to do years ago on our travels. Now it's nice to just be carted around. Sounds terribly "American" doesn't it, but what can I tell you. Honest to God, I'm telling you I can't do half the things I could do when I was 20 years younger (make that even 10!) LOL! Anyway, I'm sure it will be wonderful and thanks for all the input from everyone. Will write my review when we return.

We sailed on the freedom in sept. absolutely loved it, we had an aft balcony cabin , it took me a couple of years to talk my husband into doing the med on a cruise instead of by land, after this cruise his whole attitude on cruising has been changed and we have already booked an alaska cruise from next year:D. have a great time

loraine

We just returned yesterday- we did the Carnival half day tour and then planned to tour Barcelona when we got back from Monserrat. The tour, however, did not return until almost 3:30. We were thrilled to have a tour that actually was longer than expected, however we only had time to run (literally) up and down Las Ramblas and then catch the shuttle to the ship-(we were on the last one, at that!)

The boys choir performs at a mass at 1:00 PM which we were able to see, and then we didn't have to be back at the bus until 2 PM. We had thought we would be back to Barcelona by 2. That said, if you want to see the sights as well as Monserrat, I would do the all day tour, but that won't allow you to see the boys choir perform!

Monserrat was beautiful- however we had an overcast day, so my pictures are not nearly as good as those posted above! The clouds did part for a short time and we were able to have a little blue sky !

Thanks all for posting. Now that I've read about your 1/2 day tour running late, I guess it's just as well we did book the whole day tour inc. Montserrat. I did read, however, that the boys' choir doesn't perform on Saturday (when we'll be there) so we'll miss that, but what can you do. Also, we too are in an aft cabin on Carnival Freedom (8457 with the little larger balcony). Fell in love with the aft cabins a few years ago and now try to snag one whenever I can. Booked this cruise leaving on Saturday for Rome back in June 2007. Everyone I work with thought I was nuts booking so far in advance, but got the cabin I wanted and now the time is here. Will post my review when we get back. Had booked Carnival Liberty for May 9 to the Baltics and just got an e-mail today saying they are cancelling the Liberty for Europe. Now will have to rethink my plans about that. I think the economy is rapidly going down the drain! Happy Sailing!

:) We will be in Montserrat on a Sunday do you know the Mass and boys choir schedule ?:) :)

We just returned yesterday- we did the Carnival half day tour and then planned to tour Barcelona when we got back from Monserrat. The tour, however, did not return until almost 3:30. We were thrilled to have a tour that actually was longer than expected, however we only had time to run (literally) up and down Las Ramblas and then catch the shuttle to the ship-(we were on the last one, at that!)

The boys choir performs at a mass at 1:00 PM which we were able to see, and then we didn't have to be back at the bus until 2 PM. We had thought we would be back to Barcelona by 2. That said, if you want to see the sights as well as Monserrat, I would do the all day tour, but that won't allow you to see the boys choir perform!

Monserrat was beautiful- however we had an overcast day, so my pictures are not nearly as good as those posted above! The clouds did part for a short time and we were able to have a little blue sky !

The only info I have is quoting from the Carnival Shore Excursion booklet

"The Boys Choir cannot be seen on Saturdays and during the months of July and August and may be cancelled at any time due to reasons beyond our control"

They did only sing 2 songs and two boys read (either scripture and/or a welcome!)

Hope this helps! Maybe there is a website with their schedule!

Thanks so much for posting your pics of Montserrat. Beautiful. We are on Carnival Freedom's 16 night repositioning cruise and I was telling my travelling companiion about the two shore excursions offered by the ship. One goes just to Montserrat and then drops you off at Las Ramblas or the ship at 2:00 p.m. The other does a tour (including a STOP at Sagrada Familia but NOT inside) and then up to Montserrat and returns at 4 p.m. to the ship for a 5 (I believe, saling). Well, I thought my companion wanted to go INTO Sagrada Familia, turns out he said an outisde view will be just fine so I think we are opting for the 8 hour full day tour from 8 to 4. He reminded me that he's 67 (I'm 56) and he's just not up to a lot to the running around we used to do years ago on our travels. Now it's nice to just be carted around. Sounds terribly "American" doesn't it, but what can I tell you. Honest to God, I'm telling you I can't do half the things I could do when I was 20 years younger (make that even 10!) LOL! Anyway, I'm sure it will be wonderful and thanks for all the input from everyone. Will write my review when we return.

lol have a fabulous trip and make sure you write a review when you get back.!!! We are doing the med on the Dream next year!!I love your humor!!!

• 1 month later...

Ended up booking the Carnival all-day excursion of Barcelona with a STOP (not inside unfortunately) at Sagrada Familia and then on to Montserrat. Well well worth it. Although we didn't get to see a whole lot of Barcelona, the city was quite beautiful (if you like old cities), but Montserrat was a must-see. Sagrada Familia (at least from the outside, spectacular!) We had a wonderful guide on the bus there and back and she was one of the highlights of the day. Unfortunately, most of the other guides the following days were not so great. We had lunch in the dining room at Montserrat (part of the tour price) and it was just fine. A regular sit down lunch with table cloths and hot food and servers. Was just fine. Luckily, we got to Montserrat when they were just finishing the last half of a mass in the church so we went to communion as well. Quite lovely. Crowded, but lovely. We didn't go to the tippy-top of the mountain, but felt we saw enough from the level we were on. If you get a chance to go to Montserrat, don't pass it up. It is worth it. By the time they dropped us off either at the base of Las Ramblas or back at the ship, we opted for the ship. I was pooped. I'm sure a stroll on Las Ramblas might have been nice, but I'm not a big shopper and the view from the bus was just fine.

:)Do you happen to remember the times of the Masses since we will be there all day Sunday doing a B2B cruise? thank you

Ended up booking the Carnival all-day excursion of Barcelona with a STOP (not inside unfortunately) at Sagrada Familia and then on to Montserrat. Well well worth it. Although we didn't get to see a whole lot of Barcelona, the city was quite beautiful (if you like old cities), but Montserrat was a must-see. Sagrada Familia (at least from the outside, spectacular!) We had a wonderful guide on the bus there and back and she was one of the highlights of the day. Unfortunately, most of the other guides the following days were not so great. We had lunch in the dining room at Montserrat (part of the tour price) and it was just fine. A regular sit down lunch with table cloths and hot food and servers. Was just fine. Luckily, we got to Montserrat when they were just finishing the last half of a mass in the church so we went to communion as well. Quite lovely. Crowded, but lovely. We didn't go to the tippy-top of the mountain, but felt we saw enough from the level we were on. If you get a chance to go to Montserrat, don't pass it up. It is worth it. By the time they dropped us off either at the base of Las Ramblas or back at the ship, we opted for the ship. I was pooped. I'm sure a stroll on Las Ramblas might have been nice, but I'm not a big shopper and the view from the bus was just fine.

I think this will be a very tiring day-- but timing could be Ok--if all goes perfect

If you get to Montserrat before the big tour busses you will have no lines or crowds & can enjoy the site-- It is amazing. It really gets crowded as the day builds- Also if you plan to buy the Boys Choir CD get it there--we did not get it & I cannot find it anyplace on line even on their own website...

We were not that impressed with the Sagrada Familia & instead liked some of the other Gaudi buildings--but with limited time choices have to be made..

have fun--& watch your wallet & purses in BCN

:)could you please find out the times for Sunday mass at Montserrat? we will be there in Feb and would like to make our plans around mass time and 1pm when the choir is there...thanks...uote=CathyCruises;16759686]You can easily do both in the time you have available! But don't pay for a private tour (unless you want to!) Here is the info on how to do it on your own--and control your time frame that way.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelona-montserrat.html

We are doing this one week from today--yay!

When you get back to the train station just take a taxi to sagrada familia--not that far--maybe 10 minute cab ride--and then cab it back to the ship. Easy as pie! Have fun

Cathy

You cannot sit down on the cable car (about a 5 minute ride), but you can on the funicular railway car (about 20 minutes). I also have a 'thing' with heights but the cable car did not scare me at all. You can stand in the middle and hang on to the poles. Either way it's a fun day--we did metro to the train station--easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Archived