Carnival Cruiser back from NCL

Bunkie103

LOL...it's totally ironic doncha think??? If someone were to come on here after taking their first CCL cruise, and have complaints and swear off the line forever, all the CCL lovers would come out in droves and BLAST the person. BUT since it's someone trashing an NCL cruise, they get a pat on the back.

God figure. :rolleyes:

LOL! I agree;)

LOL...it's totally ironic doncha think??? If someone were to come on here after taking their first CCL cruise, and have complaints and swear off the line forever, all the CCL lovers would come out in droves and BLAST the person. BUT since it's someone trashing an NCL cruise, they get a pat on the back.

God figure. :rolleyes:

I dare ya to copy the post and post it on the NCL board.:D

Dan

We have done 3 NCL cruises and had a great time on each. Not that everything was perfect, that's not happened on any line.

What I got from the NCL experience is the feeling that they were hanging on to a high cliff by a single fingernail. No specific reason for that, its just an impression I felt. A mood of desperation seems to prevail.

Dan

Sorry you had a bad time. Majesty does sound like it is time to either be done or seriously overhauled as many people are not satisfied with her.

We are doing a 3 day on Norwegian Sky followed by 4 day on the Imagination. I am looking forward to trying NCL just for the experience.

I was on the NCL Sun last January. We were with a group of 12, and that's really the only thing we found difficult about it. It was hard to coordinate dinner every night, and for that reason, I prefer traditional dining over freestyle - because I like knowing that we all will meet for dinner at night, and it's one less thing to coordinate.

I also don't like the number of speciality restaurants that have a surcharge -- mostly because I think in the end, it ended up being one of the most expensive cruises we have ever been on.

That being said - if I were traveling with just my husband, or maybe with another couple, we would try freestyle again. In a group, it's a no brainer. It has to be traditional.

I dare ya to copy the post and post it on the NCL board.:D

Dan

Actually I did post "A-live on the Majesty" on the NCL board from the ship. If you had heard the complaints on board the ship from "loyal NCL" cruisers you would be surprised. I have no ax to grind just exercising my freedom of speech and I don't need a dare to do anything.

Any week on any given cruiseline/ship and sail date can have good and not so good experiences. I just try to make lemonade out of lemons if the situation arises or try to get the problem solved while onbaord if possible. But I personally would never shun a cruiseline because of a bad experience on one ship. Kinda like a restaurant experience that does not fit my expectations... I will not totally give up on them unless they do not try to appease or make effort to correct the problem. JMHO

Not quite the same as a restaurant that didn't do well your first visit.

Going back to the same restaurant to see if your first visit was an abberation. It's not going to cost you a few thousand dollars to find out.

Bill

Not quite the same as a restaurant that didn't do well your first visit.

Going back to the same restaurant to see if your first visit was an abberation. It's not going to cost you a few thousand dollars to find out.

Bill

No.... it is a similar comparison, just not regarding dollars and cents. I was not comparing the costs... I was comparing the OP's theory of never trying NCL again just based on one experience. Sorry we don't see eye to eye on this.

We actually had a lovely cruise on the Majesty last year. We went into this cruise with very modest expectations, but were pleasantly surprised. We had some really rough seas during the first day and a half, and she doesn't handle the waves as well as other ships that I have been on.

I am not running back to NCL though, there seem to be so many complaints, add to that, most of their ships have had some kind of major problem in the last two years weather it be propulsion, A/C or something else. NCL seems to ignore a lot of issues and doesn't fix them until they have to start refunding too many fares. This is just info obtained from these boards. It is a shame because they have the youngest fleet in the industry, but they seem to be having more than their fair share of problems.

I would say that the Majesty is more of a unique ship in the fleet, she is by far the oldest and smallest. While I wasn't impressed by the ship itself, I absolutely loved the crew. I still shudder when I think about the buffet, it was pretty awful, but a little creativity and the pasta bar and deli, I usually assembled a good lunch, I'll never forget the pork chops with a slice of pineapple and swiss then breaded and baked, they were really really terrible!:D

MAC

Maybe that's how Carnival came up with their slogan "The Fun SHips"...etc. I'm going on my 3rd CC and haven't a complaint yet. Although I have nothing to compare it to. I would like to try Celebrity Cruises someday where you really get pampered. Maybe when I'm like 70. For now, i'm just looking for fun, fun, fun!

Ahh bunkie.. I'm so sorry that your 40th anniversary cruise didn't live up to your expectations. I was very lucky and our 40th anniversary cruise on the Miracle was just about perfect. I do wish Carnival would cruise out of Philadelphia.

Well, congratulations on the 40 years. Don't you think people who are married 40 years should be like at least middle aged or something??? Not still babes in the woods.

To the OP, I'm sorry you had such a disappointing cruise. I am not replying to discount your experience at all. If you look at my signature line, I have been on Carnival most, but also Costa and twice on NCL Majesty. As others have said, Majesty is the oldest, smallest ship in the fleet. We have sailed her on a 3-day Bahamas itinerary from Miami and a 7-day Western from Charleston. We had a great time on both voyages. We find the service and food to be pretty much the same as Carnival. You definitely can't compare Majesty to any of the newer ships of any line...not comparing apples to apples. However, there is no excuse for poor service or lack of functioning amenities. It is too bad that was your first experience with NCL and the Majesty. We would do another cruise with NCL again if the price and itinerary were right. My next cruise is on Carnival Inspiration.

Just wanted to put my two cents in for those with booked NCL cruises or thinking about booking with them.

We have done 3 NCL cruises and had a great time on each. Not that everything was perfect, that's not happened on any line.

What I got from the NCL experience is the feeling that they were hanging on to a high cliff by a single fingernail. No specific reason for that, its just an impression I felt. A mood of desperation seems to prevail.

Dan

It's so odd. I've only had one NCL cruise...and just as you can't judge a cruise line as bad after sailing just one time, maybe you can't judge a cruise line as GREAT after just one time as well(???) :confused:

My NCL cruise blew away my expectations (which were very low due to reports on these boards) but then again, I was with a really awesome group of Cruise Critic people, not to mention the ship was just full of good, fun people (and I truly believe with all my heart that your fellow passengers can make or break your cruise more than any other thing). Plus, I don't know if I lucked out or what, but the crew on this NCL ship was just amazing. Not in a 'service' type way (because service was a bit off to be honest) but they were so much FUN. They really seemed to enjoy their work and I loved how present the activities staff, the officers and all the crew were in general. The crew on NCL ship I sailed really got involved with the passengers more so than any other line I've sailed.

I guess when I go back to NCL in March, I'll get to see if my fabulous cruise was just a fluke...because I won't be with the same group and I'll be judging this cruise more on the actual 'cruise' itself.

I don't think anyone is getting a pat on the back. People are voicing their opinions. For me, it just reaffirms that I should stick with Carnival.

Sticking with CCL is fine..and good. But denying the difference in response to the OP from people who come on after their first CCL cruise disappointed, is being in denial.

Actually I did post "A-live on the Majesty" on the NCL board from the ship. If you had heard the complaints on board the ship from "loyal NCL" cruisers you would be surprised. I have no ax to grind just exercising my freedom of speech and I don't need a dare to do anything.

I believe he quoted and dared ME not you.

I just wanted to add;

Go Phillies!!!!!!

Hey, don't forget~~ GO EAGLES!

I also don't like the number of speciality restaurants that have a surcharge -- mostly because I think in the end, it ended up being one of the most expensive cruises we have ever been on.

Ok...I am not an NCL cheerleader. I prefer CCL just as most on these boards here do. But this statment makes NO sense.

CCL has one main dining room with no surcharge

NCL has one main dining room with no surcharge

NOBODY twists your arm to eat in a surcharge restaurant. If you do, it is your choice. Having more of them to choose from is nice. You don't get that option on Carnival.

IF you don't want to spend that extra money, don't go to the surcharge restaurants.

I don't see how having more choices forces you to have a larger bill at the end of the cruise.

IT'S a CHOICE.

Maybe that's how Carnival came up with their slogan "The Fun SHips"...etc. I'm going on my 3rd CC and haven't a complaint yet. Although I have nothing to compare it to. I would like to try Celebrity Cruises someday where you really get pampered. Maybe when I'm like 70. For now, i'm just looking for fun, fun, fun!

Yes, wait until you are 70 and need pampering as opposed to fun, for Celebrity!!!!!!

Yes, wait until you are 70 and need pampering as opposed to fun, for Celebrity!!!!!!

I agreed with everything until this last comment.... Celebrity is NOT just for passngers of that 70ish age bracket you refer to at all.... Is it as FuN as a CCL ship environment??..nope, but by all means not just for the old at all ! :rolleyes: It is a more refined cruise and I really did not feel that much more pampered than I have on some of my CCL sailings.

I agreed with everything until this last comment.... Celebrity is NOT just for passngers of that 70ish age bracket you refer to at all.... Is it as FuN as a CCL ship environment??..nope, but by all means not just for the old at all ! :rolleyes: It is a more refined cruise and I really did not feel that much more pampered than I have on some of my CCL sailings.

You may be right. It could have been just my sailing. I think it was the itinerary (14 day canal crossing)...there were countless people celebrating 50 years of marriage. There were more canes/walkers on that ship than in the entire state of Florida (ok, that's has to be an exaggeration, but there were a LOT!! :p ) there were hardly any people under age 60.

Still, as nice as that cruise was the feel of 'fun' was not present. The crew was very professional...which caused them to be uptight (compared to CCL, NCL and even RCI) I enjoyed that cruise because I have never had a bad cruise...but I won't be going back to Celebrity for a while.

The pampering is definitelty there but the fun is lacking and if you're looking for fun, there are better lines to cruise. ;) You said it yourself.

Sticking with CCL is fine..and good. But denying the difference in response to the OP from people who come on after their first CCL cruise disappointed, is being in denial.

So denying the difference is denial. Thanks so much for clearing that up for me. All this time I thought I was entitled to express my own opinion, as I have, on any post I care to answer. This is the Carnival board and I'm happy to say I love cruising Carnival. My posts have never been a personal attack on anyone, be it you, or someone who doesn't enjoy their Carnival experience. To each his own, and to each his own opinion.

So denying the difference is denial. Thanks so much for clearing that up for me. All this time I thought I was entitled to express my own opinion, as I have, on any post I care to answer. This is the Carnival board and I'm happy to say I love cruising Carnival. My posts have never been a personal attack on anyone, be it you, or someone who doesn't enjoy their Carnival experience. To each his own, and to each his own opinion.

why are your panties in a bunch??? You can say whatever you want on here. I made an observation

a very accurate observation about the reaction to the Op's post. I don't disagree with any of the responses. I like CCL better too.

Chill out for goodness sake. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Actually, just go to the 'Service has gone way downhill' thread to see what I mean.

Again, it's your opinion that you made a stellar observation. My panties are not in a bunch, thank you. Why do you think your opinion matters more than anyone else's? You think there back-patting going on and I don't. End of story. That was my only comment and suddenly I'm in denial. Good gravy!

Again, it's your opinion that you made a stellar observation. My panties are not in a bunch, thank you. Why do you think your opinion matters more than anyone else's? You think there back-patting going on and I don't. End of story. That was my only comment and suddenly I'm in denial. Good gravy!

If your panties aren't in a bunch, I'd hate to see you when they were.

Now Now... play nice... we all have opinions like similar body parts..... please dont turn this thread into a nasty war and get it removed !

Take a breath.... think about all your great cruise experiences and vow not to sail with eachother ! :eek:

I never intended for this to be a war by any means. If you read my psts again, you might see that.

I'm breathing just fine...it looks as if you are too at this point so can we call a truce?????

See, the sad thing about this whole thing was that we liked the ship per se. We knew it would be small and older, no problem. The staff was very nice and basically service was very good. Our cabin was quite nice and I like the configuration better than the Carnival cabins. We absolutely loved LeBistro. We chose to go two nights because the service was remarkable and the food excellent for the small payment. We are not difficult to please, but when you have a ship that has so many things breaking down....take it out of service, don't send it on a cruise knowing more things will break down. I don't care about a few rusty spots but I do care when a whole service area is out of order or when I ask for a drink that requires pineapple and you tell me you can't make it because you don't have any pineapple.

If it had been the storm experience only I would consider it just one of those things, but it was too many things for me.

Cathy....thanks for the kind words. Our Anniversary evening was spent with John too sick to get out of bed. I slept with two bottles of wine to keep them from breaking. We still had fun but NCL has scared me off.

Archived