On a healthy note! RCI vs. Princess vs. X ?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't cruised Princess, but thought Royal Caribbean had a great selection of food if you didn't want to over indulge, and I thought the gym on the Brilliance was great. I never had to wait for a machine, and the classes were very well done. I also think Celebrity does a great job with their gym and classes.

If you are asking about regular (not specialty, i.e. focusing on fitness) cruises, I don't know if there is much of a difference between the lines in terms of staying healthy -- all three have fitness centers, and usually offer "lighter" menu choices to those who want them. I do specifically recall that Celebrity always had a special set of menu choices for healthier eating.

I think any quantifiable difference has more to do with the ship itself. Some have bigger gyms and more equipment than others. Different ships offer different fitness classes. Some have excellent, all-the-way-around-the-ship jogging paths, and some have little to offer runners.

I personally prefer Celebrity over RCI in most every category. However, when I was on the Mercury last summer, I was in training for a marathon, and the only place to run was this pretty small jogging track that didn't go all the way around. Instead, it was a relatively small raised-deck track circling the pool area. I had the hardest time with the constant corners! Whereas when I was on RCI's Monarch of the Seas, they had a fantastic walking/jogging/observation deck that went all the way around the huge ship. The only problem with that one was, there were TONS of smokers ambling along there, and it was kind of unpleasant to be breathing so hard and continually running through these noxious clouds of smoke.

LeeAnne

We've enjoyed RCI's Sovereign, Vision, Majesty and Grandeur because of the wraparound sports/pool decks ... both for running & for lounging. The promenade deck on Sovereign is fabulous.

The newer ships - and those from other lines -- that I've seen online appear to have limited outdoor space. Sort of like floating malls/condos. Seems to me that this defeats the purpose of a cruise ... for either running or relaxation, give me plenty of uncrowded space on a deck with that fabulously refreshing sea air. :)

• 3 weeks later...

If you're asking about the fitness center itself, the one on RC's Mariner was as well equipped as, or better than, the Gold's Gym locations that I frequent the other 51 weeks of the year. There wasn't as large of a selection of free weights, but everything else was top-notch!

With an inline skating track, and ice-skating rink and a rock-climbing wall there was also plenty of other cardio-type things to keep you in shape.

Archived