What are the "concierge" benefits in Mini-suite?

Sailingagain0123

I had the opportunity to compare a minisuite and a regular balcony on our last cruise. Honestly the difference is the bathroom. The only difference in the room itself was maybe the width of a nightstand because they had two and we had one. Anyway it was negligible. Now the bathroom on the other hand was awesome. It had a huge closet, separate vanity area, bathtub, separate shower. I have to admit it was nice. They get up to 48 hours advance for booking specialty restaurants but then so do balconies. Both types get fruit but I have to say....you usually have to ask for it. The people that were in the mini never got fruit, we had friends in a suite, never got fruit! I told them to ask! NCL is not very good about following through with some of their new perks. Our bed had no top sheet the first night. It was there after the first night. I found the best way to communicate with your cabin people is to leave a post-it note stuck to the mirror where they are sure to see it. We didn't see them for the first 3 days so it was a huge help.

Kristy

We were in a mini on the Sun for the repositioning to San Francisco this year. We didn't compare the cabin to other balconies on the Sun. But the living area was definately larger than any balcony we've had on NCL, Princess, or Carnival. There was also a curtain divider between the sleeping area and the rest of the cabin.

All in all it was great for us. The price was right and the cabin was great. It really is a deluxe balcony and not a suite as most people would think of one. But, whatever you call it, it was worth the price.

Charlie

While we don't usually book mini-suites, we did do so on the HAL Ryndam earlier this year. There was butler service, a private lounge down the hall, and the best perk (IMHO), was exclusive access to the specialty restaurant for breakfast/lunch. Even though we've cruised a lot, I can't speak to the other lines' perks offered on their mini-suites - only that it was a great experience on HAL!

WOW - when did HAL start offering butler service and when did they start offering mini-suites access to the Neptune Lounge? I know that one of the main reasons we only cruised HAL twice (2005 and 06) was that even though we were in a full suite, they didn't offer butler service and no matter how "good" the Neptune Lounge concierges were when stacked up against NCL freestyle with butler service NCL won hands down.

Any idea when they started butler service on the ships?

Not yet. Concierge yes but no mention of a butler for any of their suites.

Penthouse Suite

Bedroom with 1 king-size bed, oversize whirlpool bath & shower stall, living room, dining room, dressing room, pantry, 1 sofa bed for 2 persons, mini-bar refrigerator, guest powder room, floor-to-ceiling windows, private stereo system*, microwave*.

A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Penthouse Verandah Suite or Deluxe Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, wi-fi , no-host mini-bar and refreshments throughout the day. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.

1,126 - 1,318 sq. ft. with verandah*. See deck plans for specific information.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Of course, I'm now confused about what HAL does or doesn't have for mini-suites, but that's okay. We haven't looked at HAL for our last several cruises anyway. Nothing wrong with the cruise line, just not a ship, itinerary, and fare to suit us for the times we've looked. We're normally plain old balcony cruisers, and I'm sure the balcony cabins on HAL are perfectly lovely. Our only experience with full suites has been on NCL. It was a delightful experience.

As for whether the mini-suites are worth the extra $$ on NCL, I think it depends on how much more the mini is and how many nights the cruise is. If the mini is less than $100/person more, we'd probably consider it. Even then, we'd be more likely to stay with our balcony cabin and use the extra $$ elsewhere. For a long cruise (10+ nights), we'd consider the mini for the extra space and somewhat larger balcony even if it was a bit more because we spend more time in our cabin than some cruisers and love to hang out on the balcony when the ship is at sea. I guess I'd say we would pay up to $20/person more per night for a long cruise, but again, we'd would be just as likely to find a BA in a location we like and keep the extra $$ money for fun stuff or excursions.

I'm glad that the cruise line is changing over to "Deluxe Balcony" instead of "Mini-Suite" so that there will be much less confusion, misinformation, and disappointment.

beachchick

WE got upgraded from a BA to a AF on the Pearl (price reduction and we called to see what we could get, an OBC or whatever)

There's me, and mom and dad... so I think the 'extra' room will be nice. A ?

I know the Balcony is bigger, where else is the 'extra room' in this cabin?

Also, someone mentioned bathroom amenties upgraded from balcony... what exactly?

Thanks.

The couch is larger, which means you'll also have a bigger pullout bed. The bathroom has a tub, and the closet is nicer. You also have a little more surface space (e.g., a cabinet coming into your cabin to lay things).

The couch is larger, which means you'll also have a bigger pullout bed. The bathroom has a tub, and the closet is nicer. You also have a little more surface space (e.g., a cabinet coming into your cabin to lay things).

Ok. this is for mom...

can you get outside to the balcony with the couch bed pulled out, or are you still tripping over it, like in a reg balcony cabin?

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Of course, I'm now confused about what HAL does or doesn't have for mini-suites, but that's okay. We haven't looked at HAL for our last several cruises anyway. Nothing wrong with the cruise line, just not a ship, itinerary, and fare to suit us for the times we've looked. We're normally plain old balcony cruisers, and I'm sure the balcony cabins on HAL are perfectly lovely. Our only experience with full suites has been on NCL. It was a delightful experience.

As for whether the mini-suites are worth the extra $$ on NCL, I think it depends on how much more the mini is and how many nights the cruise is. If the mini is less than $100/person more, we'd probably consider it. Even then, we'd be more likely to stay with our balcony cabin and use the extra $$ elsewhere. For a long cruise (10+ nights), we'd consider the mini for the extra space and somewhat larger balcony even if it was a bit more because we spend more time in our cabin than some cruisers and love to hang out on the balcony when the ship is at sea. I guess I'd say we would pay up to $20/person more per night for a long cruise, but again, we'd would be just as likely to find a BA in a location we like and keep the extra $$ money for fun stuff or excursions.

I'm glad that the cruise line is changing over to "Deluxe Balcony" instead of "Mini-Suite" so that there will be much less confusion, misinformation, and disappointment.

beachchick

Sorry everyone -- in my reply, I said 'butler service'. I meant concierge service on HAL --- this wonderful lady was accessible in our Neptune Lounge any time we wanted - and for whatever we wanted.

We did have a butler on the Azamara Journey last year -- he turned out only to be a great steward in a tux....

On NCL, we exclusively sale in mini suites (except for one amazing upsell to a penthouse that spoiled us forever). We have been really surprised by the differences ship to ship. The mini on the Sun was huge and the bathroom had a seperate wallk in closet/dressing area that was almost as large as the one in the PofAm penthouse bathroom. On the other end of the spectrum was the Star. We found the mini to be MINI. It was difficult to get to the balcony with the couch open. My mom uses a walker and there was absolutely no place to store it, even folded. The bathroom was much smaller with no dressing area. My favourite cabin of all time is the Sun mini 1201. It is larger than most of the other minis and has a huge teak deck. It is situated forward right above the bridge. Booked it again for Alaska next summer....

One man's mini-suite is another's deluxe balcony is another's jr suite is another's veranda is another's deluxe oceanview. All in the name. size, and price.

Be real careful of comparisons. In the end, pick the cruiseline and cabin size and amentities that work for you.

Why NCL uses Suite with Mini since it is NOT a suite. It is a Deluxe Balcony Stateroom and should be called that. A bathrub is the only perk with 48 hour restaurant reservations for specialty locations.

You have consistantly said this. While I totally agree the label "mini-suite" is deceptive and should be changed to "Deluxe" or Superior" balcony cabin, you are INCORRECT in stating a bathtub is the only "perk" over a standared balcony cabin.

The "mini-suites" are 40% larger than a standard balcony cabin, with additional living space, a larger balcony, shower/bath combo in a deeper bathroom, a small table with 2 chairs, a full size convertable sofa, a curtain seperating the bed/s and sitting area, and finally more storage space.

The additional $ for the "mini" over the standard balcony are well worth it IMO.

I've been looking at the Gem and the Mini-suites are directly under the pool deck & public rooms. I sailed a balcony before, and loved it, and I'm thinking of a mini-suite this time, but would the noise from above be worse in the mini-suite than in the standard balconies? Thanks.

I think that the price difference at the time of booking would determine if a mini was worth the price over a standard balcony. I had an aft mini over New Years on the Gem. It cost me $800 extra. After the cruise I did not think it was worth the extra money. For that reason I booked a balcony on the Pearl for my April Panama Canal cruise. I just went to the NCL website and a mini was $1,718.42 more than my balcony on deck 9. If anyone thinks that that mini is worth that, please e-mail me, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I will sell you cheap.

starting with the soap dispenser at sink, the Spa inTime dispenser with shower gel & shampoo in shower, body lotion, soap, and that was it. The shower is like home with the bathtub around it with 3 sliding glass door to enclose it, the sink in the middle & to the left is hte toilet with a sliding glass door to close you in & other can use the tub, shoewr or sink. WHEN YOU FLUSH YOU DO NOT COOK THE PERSON IN THE SHOWER - FYI.

WE got upgraded from a BA to a AF on the Pearl (price reduction and we called to see what we could get, an OBC or whatever)

d

There's me, and mom and dad... so I think the 'extra' room will be nice. A ?

I know the Balcony is bigger, where else is the 'extra room' in this cabin?

Also, someone mentioned bathroom amenties upgraded from balcony... what exactly?

Thanks.

We had minis on Dawn & on Jewel. Bathroom was the plus. Toilet left, sink center, tub with shower right. On Dawn a table for 2 was crammed into the cabinet with TV, Wall phone inside it with legs that pointed to the bed & would get you when you got out of bed in the middle of the night. We both were badly bruised by it. No room on Dawn compared to Jewel's. It had 2 chairs on the makeup table which was no room for breakfast, so no room service since no table & chairs to dine at. Both had futon as sofa. When you stretched watching the little TV it would fall back as 2 cushions. Steward showed how it became a bed.

The closet next to the bed was great with the pull out drawers behind it.

But both had little tabletop that came from the wall to the left side of bed & night table to the right with phone on it on Jewel. Both were on 11, Jewel was AFT, Dawn was starboard side. Balcony was small on Dawn compared to Jewel.

A year ago I asked the PCC about minis and was told it is a deluxe balcony. So I asked about upgrading from a BA and was told I could not since it was a suite category. But no suite perks as I told her. So now they upgrade me to one for 2 cruises since I have upgrade certs.

You have consistantly said this. While I totally agree the label "mini-suite" is deceptive and should be changed to "Deluxe" or Superior" balcony cabin, you are INCORRECT in stating a bathtub is the only "perk" over a standared balcony cabin.

The "mini-suites" are 40% larger than a standard balcony cabin, with additional living space, a larger balcony, shower/bath combo in a deeper bathroom, a small table with 2 chairs, a full size convertable sofa, a curtain seperating the bed/s and sitting area, and finally more storage space.

The additional $ for the "mini" over the standard balcony are well worth it IMO.

Archived