Do I have to allow children to have a sign and sail card?

bridesmaidatsea

I'd like to know this also. I'm pretty sure they have to have a Sign/Sale card for the mere fact that they will need it as identification if they go on and off the ship. I'm interested in hearing the facts though.

We just cruised in September with my 7 and 3 year olds. They both had cards. The cards are their boarding passes and need to be used everytime we left and entered the ship. They are not able to use them for any purchases etc..

Yes, that is right. They will not be allowed off the ship without their cards so they have to have them. I believe the deposit is for the account/cabin regardless of how many people are on it. When you get your cards, have the check-in agent deactivate the charging privledges on their cards. This way if they are lost, they cannot be used. I do this with my son all the time eventhough I still hold his card. The boy would lose his head if it weren't for the nuts and bolts!

Also, depending on the ship, the cards are also your room keys. I have traveled with my children and the cruiseline allowed you to set up the cards pretty much anyway we wanted. For example, you may want them to have the ability to get a soda without having to call you over to sign for it. We did that on our cruises, the kids could buy sodas but not anything else, such as in the shops.

Don

If the line does automatic tipping, you might have to authorize charges on their card so that the tips can be applied. This was our experience on HAL this summer. As we didn't want our son to have charging privileges, we simply kept his card with us.

On our cruise, all three sons had their own sail & sign cards, but only the oldest was authorized to charge on the card - and there was a daily dollar limit on his charges. (Mostly it covered sodas and the arcade - and he did not abuse it.) You do need the cards for the kids to serve as identification.

The cards are the only thing needed for Id when we get off and on the ship? Dont need to bring passports and BC to get back on? The last time I went no picture iD's. Thats how long ago it was.

THe only card you need to get on a carnival is the sign and sail card. Your picture is now encoded on it. (so if the picture is not of you---

You dont need your birth certificate or your passport but some people carry themoff with them in case they miss the ship.

I have been told both ways, that for a family of 4, 7 night cruise, that the deposit for sail and sign card is: 200.00 per person = 800.00 for deposit. Also told 200.00 deposit will only be able to have 1 card that is activated. Will the other 3 still have sail and sign card to go back and forth? Don't want to put 800.00 for deposit, as we have to be very frugal and don't plan on spending much extra $. We are determined to have a blast without spending so much extra $. Is this possible? Children are 11 and 9. Thanks everybody, pretty concerned here!:confused:

This is one time where using a credit card is the best thing to do. Using a bank card will cause the cruise line to put a hold on certain amounts of money which might create a problem should you wish to make a purchase off ship. Also, putting a cash deposit can cause problems as I have seen a number of times on these boards where disputed purchases are not solved prior to departing the ship. At least with a credit card you can dispute charges which you cannot do with cash. I realize that some will say they never had a problem using cash but all it takes is once. It is just so much easier and safer to use a credit card and then pay the bill in full when it comes. Why put $800 in cash down, just doesn't make any sense at all.

Don

We just sailed with our four children (9, 10 and two 11). They all had the sail and sign cards because as stated before they had to have this to get off and back on the ship at the ports of call. When we first arrived at the port and gave them all of our registration info they asked us if we wanted the kids to be able to purchase items with their sail and sign cards. We told them "no" so they highlighted their names so they would not be able to use the cards for anything but ID's to leave/enter. We are credit card people (paid off every month but used for everything so we can accumulate points for trips, etc.) so all of ours (including mine) was posted to my husbands credit card (including tips for all). However, we did have the option to put everything on the card and just put $20 cash (or whatever amount you want) on the kids' sail and sign cards so if they wanted to purchase things from the ship stores they could. Our kids had to use their own allowance so some did this and some did not. (sorry it's lengthly)

Archived