spas: ok with massage on cancer patients?

winediva

Wondering if there are any current or former cancer patients that have visited the spa on Millenium class ships - particularly Constellation. Lots of massage therapists refuse to work on current or recent cancer patients for fear of "spreading" the disease. Its mostly outdated thinking in the holistic/wellness community, but I still run into it a lot. I don't want to "lie" on my info form at the spa, either. I just really look forward to a great massage on board after finishing 6 months of chemo. Any advice info is welcome.

Wondering if there are any current or former cancer patients that have visited the spa on Millenium class ships - particularly Constellation. Lots of massage therapists refuse to work on current or recent cancer patients for fear of "spreading" the disease. Its mostly outdated thinking in the holistic/wellness community, but I still run into it a lot. I don't want to "lie" on my info form at the spa, either. I just really look forward to a great massage on board after finishing 6 months of chemo. Any advice info is welcome.
"MOSTLY" outdated thinking?? How about completely outdated, misinformed and prejudicial thinking? You mean there are really people who believe that cancer is contagious?

Heeheeehee - thanks PurpleCow. No the concern isn't that anyone will "catch" cancer. Some massage therapists believe that by massage and moving lymph fluid around and increasing circulation that cancer cells can spread to different parts of the body.

Thanks Alice. Your comment is duely noted. All folks with The Big C, should definitely check in with their oncologist before getting massage therapy. My doc is all for it during treatment, as long as the massage therapist has oncology specific training. Mostly, you need to keep the pressure low - at like a 2 or 3. Post treatment, I don't anticipate any restrictions, but you are wise to advise that I double check.

One week, one month or one year post treatment, a good massage therapist will require proof of your doctor's approval. You need a letter to that effect, signed on office letterhead, with any constraints (like pressure/area) noted. Place a copy on file with local therapist and keep another copy for travel. Best to just have this with you to avoid any last minute issues. Have a fabulous cruise!

WineDiva,

Sounds like you've done your checking with your onc. If there are any concerns re the ship MT's training, etc. you could always treat yourself to a facial instead! In any case, enjoy your Victory Cruise!

Mary (4 1/2-year Survivor)

I will go against the grain here, but I say if your doctor has cleared it (and only if), then it is none of their business. I realize they do not want to do any harm, but let's face it, a large part of the questions they ask are so they can figure out how to direct the sales pitch that comes after the massage. I would not say a word - IF my doctor said it was ok.

Heeheeehee - thanks PurpleCow. No the concern isn't that anyone will "catch" cancer. Some massage therapists believe that by massage and moving lymph fluid around and increasing circulation that cancer cells can spread to different parts of the body.

And who knows...they may be correct.

Archived