How to pack for a Cruise like a pro!

Skyev21

Thanks.

Here's my take on the list....from much cruise experience:

Poncho: Unless you are going to the tropics during the rainy season, you won't have much more than shortlived rain storms that are common anywhere heat and humidty appear.

Fan: Unless you are cruising on an older ship, or unless you MUST have a fan to sleep (some do, I understand), no need for this. The newer ships have very efficient ventilation.

Shoe Org: On most Carnival ships, there is ample storage space in the bathroom with spacious vanity shelves and shelves under the sink. In addition, more than adequate drawer space and shelving in the closet.

Suction Cup: Plenty of space in the bathrooms for towels.....which are changed every day.

Duct tape: If you need duct tape, the Purser's desk will be glad to loan you theirs....

Plastic bags: Why? If you need a plastic bag, just ask the room steward; he'll provide you with them....and, each time you make a purchase on the ship or ashore, you get another one.

Alarm clock: Most ships have a wake-up service by phone. Just call the night before and put in a time. This is electronic and automatic. To check the time otherwise, just turn on the TV.....the ship has a page giving time/date, etc.

Nightlight: Leave the bathroom or closet light on instead.

Power Strip: Unless you are bringing every electronic item known to the civilized world and have 3/4 or more that require charging each day, forget this.

Now, this is my opinion only. I am a very light packer. 22" roll-on-board suitcase hold everything I need - no matter where I'm going or how long... I'd never take anything unless I knew it was needed... If something unexpected comes up, wing it, buy it or ask the Purser.:p

Freedom is less luggage, lighter suitcases, fewer things......

Thanks.

Poncho: Unless you are going to the tropics during the rainy season' date=' you won't have much more than shortlived rain storms that are common anywhere heat and humidty appear.

[b']Fan[/b]: Unless you are cruising on an older ship, or unless you MUST have a fan to sleep (some do, I understand), no need for this. The newer ships have very efficient ventilation.

Shoe Org: On most Carnival ships, there is ample storage space in the bathroom with spacious vanity shelves and shelves under the sink. In addition, more than adequate drawer space and shelving in the closet.

Suction Cup: Plenty of space in the bathrooms for towels.....which are changed every day.

Duct tape: If you need duct tape, the Purser's desk will be glad to loan you theirs....

Plastic bags: Why? If you need a plastic bag, just ask the room steward; he'll provide you with them....and, each time you make a purchase on the ship or ashore, you get another one.

Alarm clock: Most ships have a wake-up service by phone. Just call the night before and put in a time. This is electronic and automatic. To check the time otherwise, just turn on the TV.....the ship has a page giving time/date, etc.

Power Strip: Unless you are bringing every electronic item known to the civilized world and have 3/4 or more that require charging each day, forget this.

Now, this is my opinion only. I am a very light packer. 22" roll-on-board suitcase hold everything I need - no matter where I'm going or how long... I'd never take anything unless I knew it was needed... If something unexpected comes up, wing it, buy it or ask the Purser.:p

Thanks for the input.:rolleyes:

I am new to cruising myself having been on only 2 so far so I packed most everything everyone suggested. I have come to realize that you really won't need all that stuff to survive, but alot of it would come in handy if the need should arise for it. The chance of needing all that stuff within a weeks time is very slim. If you do bring a bungee cord you could also use it for your luggage when leaving the ship. You can stack your suit cases on top of each other and wrap the cord around it to hold it together unless you have straps on your suit case for that already.:)

I really don't like leaving the light on in the bathroom at night. When I inevitably get up to use the facilities in the middle of the night, there is a glaring light blasting my sleepy eyes. :o I use my cell phone as a night light and clock. If it's plugged in to charge, it stays lit up. :)

If you are only using the fan for noise, I use a white noise machine instead. I do need an extension cord to keep it next to the bed. Much easier to pack than a fan.

Thanks.

Poncho: Unless you are going to the tropics during the rainy season' date=' you won't have much more than shortlived rain storms that are common anywhere heat and humidty appear.

[b']Fan[/b]: Unless you are cruising on an older ship, or unless you MUST have a fan to sleep (some do, I understand), no need for this. The newer ships have very efficient ventilation.

We must be related:D

:D ok here is the mans list to pack, one pair shorts, beer, swim trunks, beer, wife beater shirt, beer, extra clean wife beater shirt for formal night, cup for beer. if he needs anything else just ask DW she packs it all. :D LOL

Thanks.

After six cruises, and the intent to pack lighter each time, but never have managed to......I am determined to do this next time. We even stopped and purchased 2 carry-on sized suitcases on our way home from our last cruise a few weeks back. All of our luggage was too big to use as a carry on.

Everything I take that I think I may need never gets used. I alway bring way too many clothes and end up wearing my bathing suite at least 76% of the time. We will probably end up bringing the garment bag if we intend on going to the dinning room though. Usually we don't care one way or the other if we even eat there. Most times we just go because the people we are cruising with do.

I kinda agree with the power strip, except most are bulky. Next time I will probably bring a small extension cord with multiple outlets. The only reason for this is my wife's hairdryer would not plug into the only outlet near the mirror in the room.

The outlet was very close to the table top and the dryer had a right-angle plug, impossible to plug it in.

We have a small 5 port power strip that is lightweight as well. We use it for camera charging, iPod charging/speakers, cellphone charge on last night, electric razors, etc.

I'd be lost without my over the door shoe organizer. We use it for toiletries, batteries, receipts, drink flavor packets, etc (it really de-clutters the limited tabletop space).

I do want to start bringing a small travel clock. I don't wear a watch and our cell phones are put into the room safe as soon as we board.

I'm also going to bring a container of Clorox wipes going forward just to give the room a once-over to suit my satisfaction.

I used to bring all of that stuff, don't anymore. The one important thing that isn't on the list that I still bring is my First Aid Kit! I have needed this on more than one occasion, usually just for scrapes and little cuts. I bring my backpacking one, it's very compact.

I also can't live without my big, insulated coffee mug. I like to fill it with ice water or tea to have by the pool. If I forget this, then I buy way too many DOD's and get way too drunk!:p

I do usually bring some zip-lock bags though. These are handy for organizing toiletries and little things you buy and want to store. Also good for wet swim suit if you need to change after a shore excursion. I've also just used plastic shopping bags, but like someone else said, why bring them when you get so many while shopping and the room steward had them too.

The power strip is a MUST!!!

The alarm clock isn't so much for the alarm, you have the wake up service for that. It is to know what time it is without having to wear a watch , turn on the tv, pick up your cell phone (which you won't be carrying), etc.

And even though there is a lot of room in the bathrooms, the over the door shoe organizer makes your bathroom accessories very handily organized.

I also pack a small sewing kit, just the little kind that keeps in your purse.

No need for first aid, the purser has that. But medications!!! I have no desire to pay $10 for a couple of tylenol on the ship. So I make sure that I pack them as well as the pepto for when DH eats too much.

• 2 weeks later...
The power strip is a MUST!!!

The alarm clock isn't so much for the alarm, you have the wake up service for that. It is to know what time it is without having to wear a watch , turn on the tv, pick up your cell phone (which you won't be carrying), etc.

And even though there is a lot of room in the bathrooms, the over the door shoe organizer makes your bathroom accessories very handily organized.

I also pack a small sewing kit, just the little kind that keeps in your purse.

No need for first aid, the purser has that. But medications!!! I have no desire to pay $10 for a couple of tylenol on the ship. So I make sure that I pack them as well as the pepto for when DH eats too much.

Great ideas!

I'm leaving in 4 days!!!! Ahhhhhhh!!!!! :D:D:D

We always travel with a night light. Have used the power strip on every cruise. I bought flat duct tape for our first cruise after seeing it on a list, I have never used it but since it's flat it doesn't take up much space.

I think the shoe organizer would be good if there are more than two people sharing a cabin, I have never needed one.

I got a cold on vacation once so I always take some cold medication. I also have a small first aid kit that I take everywhere.

On our first cruise we took six suitcases, (two people). We quickly got that down to three, we drive so don't have to worry about weight.

Archived