How to pack for a Cruise like a pro!

Skyev21

I really don't like leaving the light on in the bathroom at night. When I inevitably get up to use the facilities in the middle of the night, there is a glaring light blasting my sleepy eyes. :o I use my cell phone as a night light and clock. If it's plugged in to charge, it stays lit up. :)

If you are only using the fan for noise, I use a white noise machine instead. I do need an extension cord to keep it next to the bed. Much easier to pack than a fan.

we buy the glow in the dark sticks for either camping or just "fun" they sell them all over the place and this is enough light for the bathroom and it is throw away as well. plus the kids can use it first then at sleepy time it goes on sink in bathroom.

I've been bringing along a Yankee Candle Car Jar air fresheners in Sun & Sand scent. OMG!! Smells just like suntan lotion and keeps the room from getting that funky stale smell. Just hang it on a knob or something.

where do you find these? thanks!:D

On my last cruise, I desperately needed cough drops for a sore throat but couldn't get any on the ship (they only had candies, and that just doesn't help me the way menthol does). Maybe its just me, but my throat always gets a little sore after being on a plane (and maybe even the cabins on the ship do it cause the a/c air is dry). If this happens to anyone else, remember to bring your own ;-)

I actually packed like this once. Brought all the neat little things from everyone tips and tricks. Good thing I wasn't flying to the port, my luggage was stuffed! And it was stuffed with stuff I didn't even use!

My advice - don't go by someone else's list. Create your own. Sure, you may have to base it off of someone else's at first. But think about what the chances are of using something before you decide to pack it!

On my last cruise, I desperately needed cough drops for a sore throat but couldn't get any on the ship (they only had candies, and that just doesn't help me the way menthol does). Maybe its just me, but my throat always gets a little sore after being on a plane (and maybe even the cabins on the ship do it cause the a/c air is dry). If this happens to anyone else, remember to bring your own ;-)

that and AFRIN is something we could not get either...it isnt fun when you cant breathe and that is what happens to my hubby when he gets sinus stuff and he gets that on vacation all the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemisphere Dancer viewpost.gif

I've been bringing along a Yankee Candle Car Jar air fresheners in Sun & Sand scent. OMG!! Smells just like suntan lotion and keeps the room from getting that funky stale smell. Just hang it on a knob or something.

where do you find these? thanks!:D

You can get them at any Yankee Candle store or online. Actually any hanging air freshner would work (I'd avoid the Pine Tree ones, though, hee hee) but this particular scent ROCKS!!

I usually pack my shoes with garbage bag ... I like the nite lite idea .. why waste ship power more than you need to .. I like the retractable clothes line in the bathroom that comes in handy .. the other thing I like to do when in balcony is pack a boogie cord for the balcony door .. I like to listen to the ocean as much as possible .. and great when you are carring things out there . like drinks

thnks and have a great trip all ...

• 3 weeks later...
:D ok here is the mans list to pack, one pair shorts, beer, swim trunks, beer, wife beater shirt, beer, extra clean wife beater shirt for formal night, cup for beer. if he needs anything else just ask DW she packs it all. :D LOL

TOO freaking funny lmao!!! I like this list. Just one more thing have DW pack extra beer!!

I ALWAYS pack water pills. My feet swell! They look like 2 hams shoved in a flip flops.

I bring duct tape. our suite case broke once. saved my life.

Plus I am traveling with 2 other girls and we must have the power strip. One is drying hair and the other one is curling and we need our ipod dock for music and carmeras need charging.

I have also brought a few clothes pins. With three girls we use the hangy thing in the shower and pin them up.

:D ok here is the mans list to pack, one pair shorts, beer, swim trunks, beer, wife beater shirt, beer, extra clean wife beater shirt for formal night, cup for beer. if he needs anything else just ask DW she packs it all. :D LOL

I'd drop that extra pair of shorts and pack a little more beer.:D

I've taken the highlighters, post-it notes, $2 bills, etc. from most of the list and have not use these as much as you would think.

The items we take on each cruise is a batter travel alarm (very small), power stip, about $10 in $1 bills for room service, zip ties, insulated mugs, and a packable duffle bag. We'll use the duffle bag as a beach bag while on the cruise and then bring back souvenirs in it.

Thanks.

Here's my take on the list....from much cruise experience:

Poncho: Unless you are going to the tropics during the rainy season' date=' you won't have much more than shortlived rain storms that are common anywhere heat and humidty appear.

[b']Fan[/b]: Unless you are cruising on an older ship, or unless you MUST have a fan to sleep (some do, I understand), no need for this. The newer ships have very efficient ventilation.

Shoe Org: On most Carnival ships, there is ample storage space in the bathroom with spacious vanity shelves and shelves under the sink. In addition, more than adequate drawer space and shelving in the closet.

Suction Cup: Plenty of space in the bathrooms for towels.....which are changed every day.

Duct tape: If you need duct tape, the Purser's desk will be glad to loan you theirs....

Plastic bags: Why? If you need a plastic bag, just ask the room steward; he'll provide you with them....and, each time you make a purchase on the ship or ashore, you get another one.

Alarm clock: Most ships have a wake-up service by phone. Just call the night before and put in a time. This is electronic and automatic. To check the time otherwise, just turn on the TV.....the ship has a page giving time/date, etc.

Nightlight: Leave the bathroom or closet light on instead.

Power Strip: Unless you are bringing every electronic item known to the civilized world and have 3/4 or more that require charging each day, forget this.

Now, this is my opinion only. I am a very light packer. 22" roll-on-board suitcase hold everything I need - no matter where I'm going or how long... I'd never take anything unless I knew it was needed... If something unexpected comes up, wing it, buy it or ask the Purser.:p

Freedom is less luggage, lighter suitcases, fewer things......

I am amazed, I find something that I agree with you on.

The stuff on that list, except for the water wallet thing, are a waste of time.

If you want more outlets instead of a power strip take a plug that divides into three plugs, much smaller and weighs a lot less.

If I could figure out a way to pack in a carryon bag' date=' I would....

Hate dragging "stuff" along anywhere and certainly don't take anything "just in case".......:p :p[/quote']

Agree completely. I loathe checking bags, even without these new fees. Even going to europe for week trips, I travel with just my carry on. Gets tricky in the winter when a heavy coat takes up half the bag though :(

My one "just in case" exception is a good waterproof rain coat that I carry everywhere with me. Its absurdly small and light, rolls up smaller than a beer can. For a cruise, I'll probably go "all out" and bring a small 1->3 outlet adapter just because only 1 power outlet is absurd.

BTW, most laptops and cell phones can handle the 240v second outlet just fine. Theyll actually charge a bit faster that way.

I'm getting better and better at packing lighter (although I must admit I got suckered into bringing along WAY too many of the "necessary items" on that ridiculously long packing list that circulates here on CC the first time, that never got TOUCHED the entire time). The past two cruises have just been DH & I, this upcoming one we're taking our two kids. I'm hoping to continue my "winning streak" and still fight my tendency to overpack.

The one thing I will NEVER do again, though, is waste my time, money and effort on attempting to do laundry on a cruise. Unless I budget for PAYING Carnival to do it, all of it goes into ziplocs and back home with me. It's worse than using a college dorm laundry room...there are only 3 washer and dryers, it's a crap shoot as to whether or not any or all of them are even functional (or to what DEGREE they're functional), you have to strategically plan and scout out when they're available...WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much hassle for me, learned the hard way last time.

My biggest packing advice would be to plan on wearing your swimsuit and a cover up most sea days, plan on buying a few new tshirts you'll want to wear, and mix and match dinner outfits since you're only wearing them for a few hours each.

The kids' disposable "night-lights" are a great idea. I would imagine they last a couple to few hours. We were on the Elation in Oct. and there was NO outlet in the bathroom at all for a nightlight.

I have to have my little bag of emergency items: few cold tablets, bandaids, antibiotic ointment---my cure-all for all that ails you! Also, of greatest important to me is Pepto Bismol and Immodium. Find room for this! You do NOT want to go to the ship infimary complaining of a sick stomach. They can quarantine you to your cabin for 24 hours or block you from getting off at a port.

Recently, I found a 3-port power strip at my favorite little dollar store. Can't wait to try it out!

We're booked on the Carnival Pride in Mar. for a 14-day cruise through the Panama Canal. I'm so excited about this. But, HOW to pack for 14 days? I'm trying to figure out now how I can get everything I want in one suitcase and a large carry-on. I'm trying to focus on "mix & match--and pack light."

All of the ships we have been on only had one (1) 110v outlet. We bring a grounded 3-way heavy duty spitter and a grounded power strip that had five (5) outlets. These are used every day to charge kids ipods, Nintendo DS games, digital cameras, cell phones (used as an alarm clock), Blackberry, rechargeable batteries, etc.

Don't cruise without them!!

Best way I have found to pack light is to pile everything I think I might need onto a table about a week in advance. Jam it into suitcase and carry around for a while. REalize it wighs a ton. Then unpack and several times each day re-evaluate the pile, go through the stuff and take out the things that I really don't need. I did a smallish rolling carry-on for my first cruise and had everything I needed. As for tylenol- I went to one of the desks the one day I had a headache and they handed me a small packet of them. I want to get away from it all- not bring everything with me. I am definately of the shorts and beer school- female version.

I pack about three days worth of clothes, and I will do laundry on the ship. The Splendor had only two laundry rooms. One with three washers and dryers, and one with four. The machines worked fine. They cost $2 in quarters each, as did the dryers. Quarters are available at the purser's desk. The dryers give you 99 minutes. Soap and softner were sold from machines - $1.50. We took travel sized packets of liquid Tide and were fixed for the whole cruise. On long cruises, either you do your laundry, pay Carnival to do your laundry (unless you are Platinum), or drag as many clothes as you can. The best time we found to do laundry was during seatings in the dining room. We had late seating, so we did it during first seating. Sea days are difficult, so we avoided doing laundry on those days. We got things going and stayed on top of the time. I will still pack light and just prepare to spend two hours every three days or so doing some laundry.

I usually pack my shoes with garbage bag ... I like the nite lite idea .. why waste ship power more than you need to .. I like the retractable clothes line in the bathroom that comes in handy .. the other thing I like to do when in balcony is pack a boogie cord for the balcony door .. I like to listen to the ocean as much as possible .. and great when you are carring things out there . like drinks

thnks and have a great trip all ...

Not sure if you are aware, but thought I would mention it after I read your comment `why waste ship power more than you need to`...

Keeping your balcony door open is a huge waste of power, as the air conditioning has to run more to try to cool the room to the set temperature. Just mentioning this in case you didn`t know. Also, not sure about all the ships, but on the Valor, there was a notice by the balcony door reminding us to ALWAYS keep the door closed for that purpose. Happy cruising!

Archived