I Love The Upgrade Fairy!!!

steelcity5044

Booked at Category 8A balcony guarantee. I just went online to complete and print my Funpass for the 11/17 sailing of the Splendor and realized that we are booked into a Category 9A cabin 8446(forget# exactly but it is the huge cabin with huge balcony almost at very back of boat). OMG!!!!

Question now is ---- can they still change the cabin assignment????

Booked at Category 8A balcony guarantee. I just went online to complete and print my Funpass for the 11/17 sailing of the Splendor and realized that we are booked into a Category 9A cabin 8446(forget# exactly but it is the huge cabin with huge balcony almost at very back of boat). OMG!!!!

Question now is ---- can they still change the cabin assignment????

Us too she came visting two weeks ago!!!Everybody went from an obstructed 7A to a 8E or better..WOOOOWHOOOOO!!!!

Why do they upgrade? I paid for a 1A and I'm fine with that. I'm just wondering how cruise lines decide to upgrade.

A lot of uprades happen right before the sail because people cancel their trips for whatever reasons, and it's good customer relations to surprise folks with a little nicer accomodation.

A lot of uprades happen right before the sail because people cancel their trips for whatever reasons, and it's good customer relations to surprise folks with a little nicer accomodation.

Could this happen even if you used a TA instead of a PVP? Or do they not want to 'mess with' a TA booking?

I am in a guarantee cabin for the first time (I won the free cruise, so they picked the cabin, I just told em around where I'd like to be). I want to be visited by the upgrade fairy. It'll be my 6th cruise, so I do hope she visits me!!!!!

I guess I just keep checking my profile and cross me fingahs!

Why do they upgrade? I paid for a 1A and I'm fine with that. I'm just wondering how cruise lines decide to upgrade.

Upgrades are a tool the cruiseline uses to fill the ship. They serve no other purpose. They are not some mystery reward program or customer happiness scheme. There is no "upgrade Fairy" There IS a person in the sales dept. that wants cheap cabins to be available so they can be sold. So they make them available by moving persons in cheap GUARANTEE cabins to higher priced cabins. Doesn't matter if you booked thru a TA or a PVP, if you booked a GTY cabin, you stand a chance of an upgrade of some sort. The ones mentioned above are particularly good upgrades. [8 to a 9 is very good]

If you booked a specific cabin number, TA or PVP, your chances of an upgrade are almost nil. It has happened, it will happen again, but it is very rare.

If a sailing is not filling up well, there will be many upgrades. It a sailing is selling[filling] well, there will be few upgrades.

Its not personal, its just business,

Dan

We paid for a 6A and now received a 8G due to me calling back when rates went down for California residence rate. I was just trying to see if I could get an OBC credit, but because I had already made final payment they decided to give me an 8G. I love my cabin location, 6152. Then the other couple that are going with us had a 4A and I had them call for the lower rate. The TA gave them an 8A guarentee for 2 dollars more. He is quite happy since this is their first cruise. Now I am trying to help my other friends. I am quite happy.

There was an article a few years ago about how they upgrade. The things they consider are when you booked, price you paid and a few other things that I forget. These are factors, but nothing is definite.

FWIW, I have never had a visit from the upgrade fairy.The closest I got was when RCL turned my balcony guarantee into a handicapped balcony guarantee.

Can you refuse the upgrade? We love aft cabins and book early and will pay more for the larger balcony and view.

If you paid for an assigned cabin, you can refuse the upgrade. However, upgrades for people with assigned cabins are super rare. If you get an up for a guarantee, you have no choice.

Could this happen even if you used a TA instead of a PVP? Or do they not want to 'mess with' a TA booking?

Yes it happens with a TA too. Once we booked our son and his gf in a balcony guarantee and they were upgraded to a suite. The TA called us with the good news.

The upgrade fairy visited me!!! I booked a IS gty and received a OV 5A! :eek: Granted its port holes in the front of the ship, but at least we get to see the sea and get natural day light in! We leave in 2 weeks on the Inspiration to Coz and GC! Yay! Excited! Cant wait! Packing now! lol :D

I used a TA and paid a really low price. Booked in mid October. We are past guests and one of us is a Senior so maybe that helped. We originally booked a balcony guarantee. There may not be an "upgrade fairy" but there is an upgrade fairy godmother!!!

Soem others on my ship (Conquest 11/16/08) were upgraded although I was not. I wonder why and do you think it could syill be a possibility? I'm in an guarenteed inside (4B) cabin.

And apparently I cannot type either.

Archived