What are your favorite souvenirs?

shofer

Owls..I have them from all over the world. Usually they are small enough to fit in a printers case (shadow box). But mine are real printers cases. I've have them from almost all the islands that we have visited, but sometimes there are none to be found. When we traveled to Europe, I got some very interesting ones that I cherish deeply.

I collect shot glasses, magnets, and postcards.

however, if there is a Hard Rock Cafe wherever I go, I also get a guitar pen from that location.

I tend to collect smaller items because they are much easier to pack in my suitcase and I have room for them when I get home.

The post cards go in a photo album, the magnets on the refrigerator and the shot glasses in one of my curio cabinets (i have over 300 shot glasses)

I always pickup at least one paper weight from wherever we go and usually a Christmas ornament or two - preferably locally made.

Thanks to everyone who do purchase Xmas ornaments. For about 5 years I made them of shells, ribbons & beads and sold at the Harbournights festival here in Bermuda. I do look at my tree each year and wonder how many of my ornaments are still hanging on trees all around the world. This hobby paid a good chunk of my daughter's private school fees. Amazing how small items from $4 to $10 add up. Stopped some years ago as just don't have the time now - and she's finished school thank goodness!

I collect sand as well...from everywhere...not just the Caribbean. I put it in ziplock bags and then when I get home I find an old jar or bottle with a stopper for each different sample and tie labels to the neck identifying the origin. The bad news is that I just started doing this about 5 years ago so my collection is missing some samples from beaches around the world that I've visited. The good news is that now I have an excuse to go back to them!

I also collect refrigerator magnets...but only from islands (gotta draw the line somewhere!)

I love formal night family photos for a great souvenir - have even sent copies in the Christmas cards before. DS loves magnets so we let him pick one out of each ship we go on. I also purchase two of every Christmas ornament - one for our big family tree and one for DS's little tree in his room. He's only 7, but some day when he moves out (:(), he'll have a great start on his own ornament collection.

I also pick up ornaments on our land vacations as well. I have several of the official White House ornaments, most of the ones of the official Oklahoma ornaments, and some really cute ones from Hershey! :D:D:D

My kitchen wall is full of plates from various destinations. I also have fridge magnets but my favourite thing is nutmeg from Grenada. On a cold winter`s day, when I am making mousakka or similar, grating in the nutmeg takes me back to the Caribbean.:)

Archived