What are your favorite souvenirs?

shofer

I have always wondered what people consider to be a premier souvenir. Here are my choices:

Great spices from some islands, vanilla and silver from Mexico and of course, the Christmas ornaments from every vacation we have ever taken, including all the cruises. My very large tree is getting very full. On our previous Princess cruise, I bought a great shirt w/appliqués and beads from the boutique on the ship and get lots of compliments on it.

In Costa Rica, we bought the 1820 coffee in a grocery store for about $2.50/lb. We brought that home for the adult children. Much better than t-shirts which they don't want or need. I also purchased a diamond and tanzanite ring in St Thomas one year. On 2 trips to Hawaii got a Tahitian black pearl slide and a gold pineapple pendant. Until I started this, did not think about all the stuff I have acquired because of cruising

We can't afford a lot for souveniers since there are 5 in our family, but there is something free we like to do at each beach we go to in the Caribbean. My DH gets these thin, clear plastic tubes with caps (about the size of a pencil) from work and we take a tiny sample of sand from each beach we go to and label it. My kids have a free souvenier from each island we go to.

We buy the occasional tshirt, but mostly we take a bunch of pictures and we always enjoy watching the slide shows of them on our computer.

We also try to buy a Christmas Ornament from at least one island on our cruises. It is fun to put them on the tree and see all the wonderful places we have been both sea and land vacations.

We just collect memories.

We used to buy souveniers, and found that after we were home we didn't really want them. Not fond of wearing tees with writing, so that was out, and I'd rather buy my jewelry in the US. I do like the idea of collecting Christmas ornaments and can't imagine why I didn't think of it. Great idea! Thanks!

Photos & memories are all we need and another trip planned!;)

Add me to the list of picking up xmas ornaments on each place that I have cruised. the tree is getting fuller and fuller.:D I have also found that if you do not find xmas ornaments in the area that you are visiting I just pick up a key chain with the place on it. They are always, always around the shops. Just add a hook to it and hang it. Works out really well especially for the key chains with the Princess ships on them that they sell in the boutiques on the ships.

Marilyn

My wife and I like to collect High-ball glasses from our vacation trips; whether it be land based or asea. Alaska, Caribbean cruises

as well as trips to South Dakota (Mt. Rushmore), Disney Land/World,

San Diego (Zoo). Lots of places, and lots of glasses. Since we have started going to the gym we have started collecting workout tees from our cruise destinations.

David :):)

Towels from the cruise ship bathrooms! :eek:

Just kidding...

I prefer things that the locals make...like hand carved masks, bamboo cups, jewelry, drawings... things of that nature.

Many things 'down island' lately...look handmade...but have the ol' MADE IN CHINA logo...just like near everything you buy in the USA these days. :mad:

I like to support the local talent.

Jewelry, darling, jewelry! :D Nothing with diamonds, mind you, but something ethnic to wear. In New Zealand - bone carving necklace. In the Caribbean, something with a seashell motive. In Greece, Greek key design, of course. Alaska whale tails. Mexican silver. I enjoy the compliments and questions when I wear them. I would NEVER buy diamonds or precious stones in a port tourist trap!!:eek:

I collect key chains from all of the places I visit and have a large wicker basket full. Last count was well over 600. They are usually readily available, cheap and easy to pack.

It's fun to spread them out and remember the trips they were collected on

DH and I collect magnets from everywhere that we go. In fact we were running late to catch the bus at the Tulum Mayan Ruins and I had to pop in real quick to get a magnet. I asked the cashier where they were and he pointed me to them. I picked one up and it did not have a price tag on it, so I asked the cashier how much it was.

Seeing me in such a hurry to buy a tacky little magnet, the cashier promptly responded that it was 800 pesos or $8. He saw me for the sucker I was, but I didn't want to leave Mexico without my magnet, so now it sits on our fridge and is definetely the most expensive.

guess, mine are not very exciting, but much like others: christmas decorations (my tree is all angels and we have them from many place) oh, and my biggy are elephants...DH does the polo shirt thing even though on every cruise he says he isn't going to this time: sure he isn't...I like the spices as well.. I could add booze, but a souvenir is something you keep, booze doesn't last very long in our house...LOL

NIta

A Rolex watch, in 1985, in St. Thomas (could never afford it now!) But, I treasure it!

Cocktail glasses (with the colored ball on it), from the Princess lounge. I have every color but yellow! (They'll box it up for you to carry home.)

A specialty glass (from the "drink of the day") from every cruise we've ever been on. My personal favorite; the monkey head carved out of a coconut from a Carnival Cruise...many moons ago!

Mexican dolls (I love these), they're hand made, very authentic and they sit in my curio cabinet.

Cruiseship gift shops always have specials, on the last day.....I love the crystal figurines; and, the straw bags.

Archived