QE2's Final Departure: Reporting Live from Southampton

Dan Askin

I have just arrived home, i arrived at Mayflower Park at about 11.45am ang stood right at the front at the railings near the large screen. It was dry but cold. I met up with Paul (pkpon) until he left about 4pm to board his Blue Funnel Ferry.

I spent the hours talking to my neighbours who had also arrived early with their chairs, food and drinks, it was like the January Sales. As time went by more and more people arrived. By about 6.30pm the crowed had increased a lot.

They were showing QE2 footage over the years until the live broadcast started at 6.30pm. There were reporters at the QE II Terminal, Hythe, Mayflower Park and Onboard interviewing the Public, Passengers and Crew and Staff including Maureen Ryan, Ron Warwick and Captain McNaught.

Mrs McNaught rang me at about 7pm to see if i was crying yet and we had an interesting chat.

QE2 reversed up to Mayflower Park and then we had a wonderful Firework Display, she stayed a while and there was lots of whistle blowing from her and other craft. She then proceeded foward and passed the QE2 Terminal where there was another Firework Display and more Whistle blowing.

She then slowly disappeared from view :(

Gavin

The BBC TV commentator interviewed Ms Ryan as someone who was on the first and now the last crossing...surely, she was more than that as the long time cruise director and teacher of scarf tying lessions on QE2 until she retired.

Cornelia (owner of about 30 Cunard scarves!)

I have just arrived home, i arrived at Mayflower Park at about 11.45am ang stood right at the front at the railings near the large screen. It was dry but cold. I met up with Paul (pkpon) until he left about 4pm to board his Blue Funnel Ferry.

I spent the hours talking to my neighbours who had also arrived early with their chairs, food and drinks, it was like the January Sales. As time went by more and more people arrived. By about 6.30pm the crowed had increased a lot.

They were showing QE2 footage over the years until the live broadcast started at 6.30pm. There were reporters at the QE II Terminal, Hythe, Mayflower Park and Onboard interviewing the Public, Passengers and Crew and Staff including Maureen Ryan, Ron Warwick and Captain McNaught.

Mrs McNaught rang me at about 7pm to see if i was crying yet and we had an interesting chat.

QE2 reversed up to Mayflower Park and then we had a wonderful Firework Display, she stayed a while and there was lots of whistle blowing from her and other craft. She then proceeded foward and passed the QE2 Terminal where there was another Firework Display and more Whistle blowing.

Gavin

Wonderful Gavin, I wish we could have been there with you.

We watched it live on BBC South. Very moving.

Glad you got home ok.

Wonderful Gavin, I wish we could have been there with you.

We watched it live on BBC South. Very moving.

Glad you got home ok.

Thanks Robin,

My description can never do the event justice, im very pleased i went it was very moving.

Hope you had a special time in London.

Gavin

Gavin

Gav--So, are you still crying?

Thanks for the report; I wish I could've been there. I had to get my fill online from the BBC and Sky News.

Maybe I'll see you on the QV next year.

Ruth

Wow, what an evening. I was aboard the Maid Of Poole. It was an amazing experience. I could not believe how close we managed to get to the QE2 despite the huge flotilla of other boats around us. After the fireworks we followed her out for about an hour before turning around and heading back to Ocean Village. The QE2 looked so proud last night. Thanks Southampton, for the fantastic send off you gave her.

Hi Gavin, It was great meeting up with you in Mayflower Park. Hope those nice people from Bedford that were next to us enjoyed the events.

Paul.

Gav--So, are you still crying?

Thanks for the report; I wish I could've been there. I had to get my fill online from the BBC and Sky News.

Maybe I'll see you on the QV next year.

Ruth

Hi Ruth,

Not crying, but very sad :(

Hope to meet you soon :D

Gav :cool:

Hi Gavin, It was great meeting up with you in Mayflower Park. Hope those nice people from Bedford that were next to us enjoyed the events.

Paul.

Hi Paul it was great to see you, yes they did enjoy it, the lady`s wearing the viking helmet`s got a lot of attention :eek:

It got very busy later on :D

Gavin :cool:

Hi All,

I also watched the QE2 leave Southampton yesterday. Very emotional with the fireworks and the interviews of old employees.

I also watched through the internet via the BBC.

That was just extremely touching for everyone.

Ed

I just wanted to jump on here and thank Dan for posting my thoughts from yesterday. I got down to Southampton about noon and left about 8 p.m., and had a really fantastic (and rather cold!) time.

Hi Paul it was great to see you, yes they did enjoy it, the lady`s wearing the viking helmet`s got a lot of attention :eek:

It got very busy later on :D

Gavin :cool:

Gav Boy, I saw the ladies with the Viking helmets too, very funny!

Did you spot anyone wearing QE2 jumpers? I know there was a stand there selling them, but I didn't see anyone in them myself!

It was strange, I left Mayflower Park about 5 p.m. to wander back down to Town Quay for another look at the ship, and when I returned it was packed full of people.

I couldn't believe how close the ship came in too -- well that was what it felt like to me anyway! I was so envious of those onboard!

Just to note -- Dan is hopefully going to post some of my photos on here later today as well.

Thanks to everyone who contributed on such a memorable day too.

Kelly

I just wanted to jump on here and thank Dan for posting my thoughts from yesterday. I got down to Southampton about noon and left about 8 p.m., and had a really fantastic (and rather cold!) time.

Gav Boy, I saw the ladies with the Viking helmets too, very funny!

Did you spot anyone wearing QE2 jumpers? I know there was a stand there selling them, but I didn't see anyone in them myself!

It was strange, I left Mayflower Park about 5 p.m. to wander back down to Town Quay for another look at the ship, and when I returned it was packed full of people.

I couldn't believe how close the ship came in too -- well that was what it felt like to me anyway! I was so envious of those onboard!

Just to note -- Dan is hopefully going to post some of my photos on here later today as well.

Thanks to everyone who contributed on such a memorable day too.

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

I stood next too those Ladies.

I did not see anyone wearing a jumper but i had my light blue QE2 jacket on.

By the end of the day the QE2 sweatshirts had been reduced from £30 down to £12.

I also arrived about noon but i waited until the traffic had died down before i left. It did get very busy near the sailing time.

Gavin

Archived