Another one of those "Should I upgrade" threads.

coondogg97

So I have read the other threads about upgrading and I am still undecided. DW and I will be sailing on the Gem at the end of the month. We currently have an AD romance suite booked, but I was offered an upgrade to an A3 Courtyard Penthouse for $2000. I guess what’s making my decision tough is that I like the larger balcony in an AD and I like the fact that the ADs are on the AFT of the ship. Is it worth losing those 2 benefits for the private deck and courtyard? We have never been in either category, so I have no idea. This will be our first time cruising with suite perks. Every other NCL cruise we have gone on in the past we have stayed in Mini Suites.

All suggestions and opinions are appreciated,

Brian

Depends how much money you have I guess. And if the other benefits are worth it to you. I believe the A3 are the same as the AB's in that they have the big bathroom that faces the ocean. The AD has the "inside"bathroom which could be one other factor. That is really nice.

I don't think the courtyard is worth $2,000 for me, but I don't think an oversized deck is that big of a deal. Nice, but nothing I would pay for.

Other than being part of the "exclusive" courtyard group, there are not that many more benefits. And, if being on the back end of the ship is of value to you, then that might carry more weight.

Personally, the AB is the idea suite for me, if we could afford it.

I believe the A3 are the same as the AB's in that they have the big bathroom that faces the ocean. The AD has the "inside"bathroom which could be one other factor. That is really nice.

I had no idea.. I will have to hunt down some bathroom pictures!

I have always said that about the only thing that would pull me away from my aft suite would be the GV itself. I can tell you without any hesitation I would not do that upgrade for $2000.00. I honestly MIGHT would consider it for maybe $500. That is a huge maybe for me because we love the Aft so much.

I won't talk bad about you for taking it, but I sure know I wouldn't, especially for that price.

Doesn't the A3 have the second bedroom? if you don't need an extra room, why pay the 2000.00? If you were offerred an A4 at a more reasonable price, the ambiance of the Courtyard is totally worth it. We really like the privacy and the QUIET! But since you don't need the extra kids room, save the cashola for champagne!

Kathy

Here is a different way to look at this decision.

Lets assume you had the CV booked. Then NCL calls and says they would like to move you to the AD and GIVE you $2,000 for the change. Would you take that? It is the same thing.

Thank you all again for your opinions and advice. I was planning on surprising DW with the upgrade, but the more reviews I read the more leery I was about taking the upgrade. So I broke down and asked DW what she thought and she agreed with you guys. Enjoy the luxury of the AFT and stay in the AD. As I said this will be our first suite anyway so im sure we will be pampered regardless!

Thank you all again for your opinions and advice. I was planning on surprising DW with the upgrade, but the more reviews I read the more leery I was about taking the upgrade. So I broke down and asked DW what she thought and she agreed with you guys. Enjoy the luxury of the AFT and stay in the AD. As I said this will be our first suite anyway so im sure we will be pampered regardless!

One thing I forgot to mention to you is you will have a nice big balcony in the AD aft as opposed to the AE aft. We are on the Dawn for two weeks next year and I had them move us to the AD for that very reason. I think it is so sweet of you to want to surprise your DW with an upgrade like that. She is so lucky. I am sure you will enjoy being Aft and will never look back at it with regret.

OH.. and just think of the nice piece of jewelry you can get your DW for the $2000.00 you just saved.. 8-)

I have always said that about the only thing that would pull me away from my aft suite would be the GV itself. I can tell you without any hesitation I would not do that upgrade for $2000.00. I honestly MIGHT would consider it for maybe $500. That is a huge maybe for me because we love the Aft so much.

I won't talk bad about you for taking it, but I sure know I wouldn't, especially for that price.

The best decision is the one you're most comfortable with--that's how I see it. So it sounds like you did the right thing. We were booked in an AD on the Gem and were offered an upsell to an A3 for $1100, but it's all based on what you paid for your original cabin. $2000 is a lot of money. If you are OK enough $-wise, then I'd snap it up. The A3 was incredible. Having a pool, private sun deck on the top of the ship, sauna, hot-tub and breakfast/lunch in the courtyard as another option were really great.

However, it's very hard to go back to non-courtyard once you have it. So I really DO think you made the right decision!

• 1 month later...

Last year I received an upsell to an A3 on the Jewel, and I loved it. But I would NEVER pay $2000 extra for it. We made friends with folks who were in an AD, and it was wonderful. I think you made the right choice!

oops - forgot I had done a search. Didn't mean to resurrect an old thread. Sorry!

Archived