Shoes at Dunn's River Falls

j4farm

We will be in Ocho Rios on the NOS, Dec. 9, 2008. We have a tour booked with Phil Lafayette, going to Dunn's River Falls. I have read in numerous places that if we are going to climb the falls to be sure and wear the "aqua socks". My DH and I don't have any, and it is late enough in the year I have not been able to find any clearanced. Hate to buy a pair of shoes we'll probably never wear again. Is it possible to get by with ordinary tennis shoes? What have other people worn when they climbed the Falls and got by? :confused: Thanks!

Well we usually get the cheap ones at WalMart. I doubt they have them out this time of year, though. How about checking Sporting Goods stores? We have Academy and Sports Authority and Dicks - maybe there is something similar where you are? I suppose you could wear old tennis shoes - but they ought to be old enough that you're willing to just throw them out rather than haul around wet shoes the rest of your trip! Also, I just remembered, they DO rent water shoes at the falls, so that may be the way to go!

Old running shoes are fine, but you may not want to climb them anyway. You are one in a long chain of people, all holding hands and spending the whole climb looking down at your feet. Alternatively, you can jump in and splash around in several places, take pictures, swim about, and enjoy the beauty while a little waterfall splashes down on you. It is far more enjoyable.

When we went to Dunns falls we did have the water shoes, and were very glad we did, parts of the falls are very slippery even with them on.

I don't know if you would have enough grip with tennis shoes.

What port do you leave from?

Would you have time to run into a discount store their to buy a cheap pair before you sailed.

If not, rent them, if they are not too gross.

Try to get an early climb time, it does get very crowded.

Safe journey

We were a group of ten and even the young kids had water-shoes. I think tennis shoes will be too heavy, when wet. You can rent them there. The climb was the high light of the cruise, for the kids. They are ready to go back again for the climb.

Thanks for all your information. I didn't know you could rent them at the Falls. If all else fails, that would be a gret alternative. We leave out of Fort Lauderdale. We are arriving the day before at 5:00 p.m. We are staying at the Sleep Inn in Dania Beach. So, maybe we could find a discount store close by and could find some before the cruise. Does anyone know that area of town to know what, if any, stores are close by? Thanks again for your help.

I've been reading the posts about this subject and don't see any mention of sandals like Teva's. They are what we've worn for rafting trips etc. Would these work for climbing the falls, or are the water socks the only way to go?

I am personally going to go with Dagny's suggest and not going to venture the climb. (I'm about the clumbsiest person in the world and can just see me falling and taking everyone with me. ;)). But my hubby will certainly make the climb. He loves his Teva's so if those won't work, we'll get him some water socks!

Has anyone done the falls in Teva's?

Thanks for all your information. I didn't know you could rent them at the Falls. If all else fails, that would be a gret alternative. We leave out of Fort Lauderdale. We are arriving the day before at 5:00 p.m. We are staying at the Sleep Inn in Dania Beach. So, maybe we could find a discount store close by and could find some before the cruise. Does anyone know that area of town to know what, if any, stores are close by? Thanks again for your help.

I would think any of the above mentioned stores would carry them there - WalMart likely being the cheapest. You could check their website for a store location in FL nearest to your hotel. As a last resort, most ships also sell them on board but (of course) at a premium price! But having done the falls a couple of times before, they are the best footwear for the climb. Old sneakers would probably be pretty worn in the tread which would make them slippery on some of the rocks. Best be safe (for a few $) than sorry. Enjoy - the climb is a lot of fun. I would also suggest booking it independantly. It's a short and inexpensive cab ride from Ocho Rios and (last time we were there) only about $15 - $20 per person to climb. The guides will put you into the next available group and off you go.

I'm not familiar with Teva's, but you definitely need protection for the toes. I found that water "socks" were not enough. Get a decent pair of water shoes. I ordered them online and was very happy with them. We just got back and they are a definite for the Falls. I ordered mine from Amazon for about $20 each. I was glad I spent the money.

I would not climb in the Tevas. Simply because it's easy for your foot to slip off the rock, and I can see where it would be really easy to break a strap! Plus, you probably DO want your toes protected. My foot slipped one time, and not even really bad. The water was so cold it didn't hurt - but that night? OMG, it hurt like crazy and my ankle was swollen. The cold water actually probably kept the swelling from being even worse.

I bought both my husband's and mine water shoes through Amazon.com. You can check their website for Hydra II Water shoe - men's ($20), and Body Glove Hydro 2 - Women's ($15). They were lightweight, easy to get on and off, good protection for the toes, and had great traction on the falls. The few extra bucks were well worth it.

• 2 months later...
We will be in Ocho Rios on the NOS, Dec. 9, 2008. We have a tour booked with Phil Lafayette, going to Dunn's River Falls. I have read in numerous places that if we are going to climb the falls to be sure and wear the "aqua socks". My DH and I don't have any, and it is late enough in the year I have not been able to find any clearanced. Hate to buy a pair of shoes we'll probably never wear again. Is it possible to get by with ordinary tennis shoes? What have other people worn when they climbed the Falls and got by? :confused: Thanks!

yes cheap old tennis shoe's or even crocks or any shoe thay will not slip off and you do not mind getting wet is fine. it can be a little slippery that is why you need some kind of shoe. you can also exit the falls by walking over to the side at any time if it is too much, and walk back in when ready .our group ages 16 to 82 enjoyed the falls each doing as much as they could handle all had some sort of shoe's on

IMHO, no matter what you wear, you'll wind up saying they suck, LOL. I had the enclosed water shoes/tennis shoe things from land's end, and the liners kept slipping out from under my feet (and I know it isn't just me, bc if I had a BUCK for every abandoned and shoeless liner I saw on the banks of the Falls, I'd be RICH). People warn against the water sandals/Tevas, because they say the little pebbles get swept into those. Although there is no way in you-know-where I'd ever wear Crocs...I've about slipped numerous times just going out to get my MAIL in the winter, or walking across a parking lot after it had rained (and brought up the motor oil in the pavement)...you couldn't pay me to wear those on the Falls. Let alone the fact they're so loose fitting and I could see an ankle getting easily twisted. And wait until you see the guides scurry up the Falls BAREFOOT (which is the way to go if you know where to step...but that's what we pay them for, LOL).

Archived