Sneaking a smoke...possible or not??

Megamania

I sailed NCL POA in October and was able to smoke in my room and balcony. But now I've found an alternative to smoking even tho I still smoke cigarettes. I love it!.....can smoke in places where cigarette smoking is prohibited...airports, restaurants, and yes, cruise lines that have the NO SMOKING rule, etc.....I still get the same satisfaction....you can email me about this if you want to... michiganflame@yahoo.com

gg

Is this the e-cigarette? If so, it's already been talked about in this thread. :rolleyes:

They sell e-cigs at my local mall, there are two kiosks there that advertise them. I've never smoked so I haven't looked closely, but I've seen their signs.

Is this the e-cigarette? If so, it's already been talked about in this thread. :rolleyes:

They sell e-cigs at my local mall, there are two kiosks there that advertise them. I've never smoked so I haven't looked closely, but I've seen their signs.

The e-cigs at the malls are way over-priced and have problems.....

It's an electronic cigarette....using a battery, atomizer and nicotine. The battery is rechargeable and the nicotine cartridges can be refilled. It produces vapor, not smoke, so there's no odor or fire involved. /quote]

Popsec, can they be used in planes? We're going to Alaska next month and the one thing I'm NOT looking forward to is spending 16 hours in airports/planes (Miami to Fairbanks) to get there.

It's an electronic cigarette....using a battery, atomizer and nicotine. The battery is rechargeable and the nicotine cartridges can be refilled. It produces vapor, not smoke, so there's no odor or fire involved. /quote]

Popsec, can they be used in planes? We're going to Alaska next month and the one thing I'm NOT looking forward to is spending 16 hours in airports/planes (Miami to Fairbanks) to get there.

I'd heard that some airlines had banned them but I was able to discreetly use mine by holding in the vapor so nothing showed when I exhaled. I have heard of some people using them openly on some flights but....

I really appreciated being able to use it inside the airport so I didn't have to race outside the minute my flight landed.

Of course it's possible. Having a smoke at night on your balcony you probably won't be caught. If anybody notices the smoke and is bothered enough to report it, by the time anything can be done or proven it will be way after the fact.

Of course it is against the rules but you probably can get away with it as much as booze smuggling, pop card sharing, chair hogging, dining room dress faux pas, cutting into the line at the buffet, practicing poor elevator etiquette and the list goes on. Almost everyone picks a rule they want to disobey, for whatever reason. If sneaking a smoke is yours, go ahead. Happy cruising.

Pearl

As far as I am aware no cruise line has it in its ship rules that you cannot cut the line in the buffet, or practice poor elevator etiquette, or make a " faux Pas " in the dining room. Smuggling " booze " , and pop card sharing have no impact directly on your fellow passengers, but as many posts on here have tried to explain, cigarette smoke does.

I take it that since you have no problem with rule breaking " whenever you can get away with it " as " almost everyone does it " you never EVER complain about what others do.:rolleyes:

As far as I am aware no cruise line has it in its ship rules that you cannot cut the line in the buffet, or practice poor elevator etiquette, or make a " faux Pas " in the dining room. Smuggling " booze " , and pop card sharing have no impact directly on your fellow passengers, but as many posts on here have tried to explain, cigarette smoke does.

I take it that since you have no problem with rule breaking " whenever you can get away with it " as " almost everyone does it " you never EVER complain about what others do.:rolleyes:

My post was supposed to be tongue in cheek! I was trying to make the point that almost everybody breaks some rule, law, behaviour etc. or other. I really try not to. I try to follow all rules and act courteously where ever I am. I don't smuggle booze, I don't smoke at all, I follow dress requirements and have a good time doing so. It's just that I read so many posts where it's simply the "Pot calling the kettle black!"

Even in your post, you have defended breaking certain rules by saying they are different because it does not impact others. My point is that anyone who breaks a rule usually feels their justification for doing so is way more valid than the reason for the next persons rule that is broken.

And yes, I guess I never complain about others because I find it futile and I feel it's on their conscience, not mine. Oh wait, I'm wrong, I just complained. LOL

Personally, I wish everybody would follow the rules. The fact is, people don't.

Happy cruising.

Pearl

My post was supposed to be tongue in cheek! I was trying to make the point that almost everybody breaks some rule, law, behaviour etc. or other. I really try not to. I try to follow all rules and act courteously where ever I am. I don't smuggle booze, I don't smoke at all, I follow dress requirements and have a good time doing so. It's just that I read so many posts where it's simply the "Pot calling the kettle black!"

Even in your post, you have defended breaking certain rules by saying they are different because it does not impact others. My point is that anyone who breaks a rule usually feels their justification for doing so is way more valid than the reason for the next persons rule that is broken.

And yes, I guess I never complain about others because I find it futile and I feel it's on their conscience, not mine. Oh wait, I'm wrong, I just complained. LOL

Happy cruising.

Pearl

It was not my intend to advocate any breaking of rules, nor the abandoning of acceptable behaviour codes which are not in fact rules, far from it . I just wished to point out that the breaking of the rules you mentioned does not harm any one else, while breaking the smoking ban does.

The fact that your post was " tongue in cheek " was totally lost on me, and I took it to mean.... " go ahead and do as you wish, everyone else does ". I hope no one else was as woolly headed as me and misunderstood so completely.

The fact that your post was " tongue in cheek " was totally lost on me, and I took it to mean.... " go ahead and do as you wish, everyone else does ". I hope no one else was as woolly headed as me and misunderstood so completely.

I intepreted it the same way you did. It sure did not seem tongue-and-cheek in the least.

Happy cruising.Pearl

I also read your post as condoing breaking the rules. As for you following them and not complaining when others don't because it is Futile, well it is futile as long as others DON'T complain about the rules breakers. You can be sure that if the cruise line had more people that follow rules that complain loudly and often when the line allows someone to break a rule they WOULD enforce them. Right now the rule breakers complain the loudest and so the cruise line looks the other way.

Say for instance that someone appears for dinner in Shorts and is told they can't enter and they thow a tizzy fit, they are still refused and the majority of the diners were to applaud. you think they would then continue to vigorusly enforce that rule? If the same diner gets there way and when they throw their fit they are admitted to "shut them up" and no one says anything to the staff, perhaps they give the person a disgusted look, but that is the extent of it. What do you think the cruise staff will do the next time someone tries it?

This is just one example of something. It could have been a smoking rule or unpotty trained child in pool etc.

I don't see why people who know rules and try to observe them, should be expected to look the other way, just accept it, or Chill out, while others flaunt those rules.

Someone said that booze smuggling or chair hogging or even the dress code thing don't affect anyone else. That is not true at all. booze smugglers tend to drink more and be more obnoxious and dangerous to others as well as potentially themselves. chair hogs certainly cause people annoyance at a minimum. People dressing as bums in the dining room certainly does affect the ambiance of the room, partly because peoples behavior often reflects what they are wearing, If you are dressed up there is a good chance you will behave differently than if you are in a sweat suit.

People who say chill out imply that those who want to see the rules followed by all for the good or all are busy bodies or are trying to put their own wants first.

Where in fact it is the rule breakers who are putting themselves first, last and always, to heck the other guy.

It was not my intend to advocate any breaking of rules, nor the abandoning of acceptable behaviour codes which are not in fact rules, far from it . I just wished to point out that the breaking of the rules you mentioned does not harm any one else, while breaking the smoking ban does.

No you are not "wooly" headed. LOL. I guess I really need to brush up on my writing skills.

BTW I really admire the Welsh. In fact it was a man of Welsh parentage, David Thompson, that surveyed and mapped much of Canada in the late 1700's. There is a highway in Alberta named after him. Sorry for getting off topic.

My post was, apparently, a feeble attempt at sarcasm. Rules keep things orderly.IMHO

Happy cruising.

Pearl

Someone said that booze smuggling or chair hogging or even the dress code thing don't affect anyone else. That is not true at all. booze smugglers tend to drink more and be more obnoxious and dangerous to others as well as potentially themselves.

Whilst accepting your premise that rule breaking that impacts on other people is unacceptable, the above chestnut has to be challenged - any person on board who drinks excessively is someone to be avoided. Have you run a poll with the drunks on board to determine how many of them are booze smugglers? I certainly haven't, and boy have I seen some inebriated fellow passengers AND they are still being served at the bars around the ship without any reprimand from the bartenders.

I think the issue of alcohol consumption isn't confined only to those who bring their own alcohol.

** end of thread hijack icon7.gif **

Archived