Sneaking a smoke...possible or not??

Megamania

Megamania, I don't believe you mentioned the date of your cruise, but if you are not sailing within the next three months or so, it may still be possible for you to cancel and rebook with another line. I loved Celebrity, but will no longer sail with them since the initiation of their new smoking policy. I am considerate of others, and aware of my second hand smoke, but feel I should be able to enjoy my cruise also... and that means a cigarette with my morning coffee and evening wine, and at all hours in between.

I am with you on this one I loved Celebrity, but will no longer sail with them . I do want stop smokeing but when I am ready not someone telling me too.

I am with you on this one I loved Celebrity, but will no longer sail with them . I do want stop smokeing but when I am ready not someone telling me too.

Celebrity's updated smoking policy has put them on the top of our list. After a horrible "smoky balcony" experience on Princess, we are totally over it! We won't book a stateroom or balcony again unless assured that they will be smoke-free.

Can't you just use the vent in your bathroom and bring a can of Ozium with you???

It always worked for me....

That vent sucked the smoke right out..as long as you blew into the vent and held the butt in front of it...then a little Ozium.

You can't be in there having a social smoke, it's a quick hit and run !!!

<Whispering as to not inflame the Mod Gods.. as this is a very touchy subject>

Simple, I did the research and will sail CCL, not bad ships or itineraries and you can smoke IN the cabin and ON the balconies.

...which is exactly why we neither cruise CCL-owned lines nor purchase their stock, not even at the low price point currently.

The hotel industry has shown itself to be much more proactive in dealing with smoking, and many, many hotels are now 100% smokefree. Those that are 100% smoke-free are the only hotels where we stay, and theirs are the only frequent stay programs we have joined.

There are so many more non-smokers than smokers. Ships should cater to us and set aside special contained rooms for smokers, perhaps, but no cabin or balcony or public room should be smoky.

...which is exactly why we neither cruise CCL-owned lines nor purchase their stock, not even at the low price point currently.

The hotel industry has shown itself to be much more proactive in dealing with smoking, and many, many hotels are now 100% smokefree. Those that are 100% smoke-free are the only hotels where we stay, and theirs are the only frequent stay programs we have joined.

There are so many more non-smokers than smokers. Ships should cater to us and set aside special contained rooms for smokers, perhaps, but no cabin or balcony or public room should be smoky.

That's what I've always thought. Ships should either ban smoking altogether or build those sealed off self-contained rooms like you see at some airports. I honestly don't think people have the 'right' to smoke in their cabins and on their balconies. It DOES affect other people.

• 4 months later...

Just took my electronic cig on the cruise. My husband and I were the only ones using e-cigs....besides the Captain! They're awesome! Used mine in the airport, on the plane, in the port waiting to get on the ship and in non-smoking areas of the ship. I asked the Captain what Carnival's policy was on the e-cig and he said that since there was no smoke (it's just a vapor), I could use it anywhere. How nifty is that???:D

not to contradict you, but my searches and telephone calls confirmed NO smoking in cabins, balconies. Very few limited areas on CC ships for smoking. Maybe 1 bar out of the way...I switched from CC to Norwegian for that and other reasons.

not to contradict you, but my searches and telephone calls confirmed NO smoking in cabins, balconies. Very few limited areas on CC ships for smoking. Maybe 1 bar out of the way...I switched from CC to Norwegian for that and other reasons.

Help! Please tell me waht an "e-cigarette" is and where can it be purchased? Never heard of it, but might be interested in getting it. Thanks for your reply.

Not to contradict you, but last month I was on a Carnival ship and smoking was permitted in cabins and on the balcony

I'm not a smoker but I can be understanding of those who do smoke and need their fix. I need mine too be it chocolate, caffine or liqour. But, those items don't push my satisfaction onto someone else.

If I were to smell smoke ina non-smoking area, I'd address it for sure. What I don't understand is why not make 1 side of the ship smoking and the other non-smoking, with the aft areas alternating on smoking/non-smoking. Seems as you could also do this as alternating decks.

Help! Please tell me waht an "e-cigarette" is and where can it be purchased? Never heard of it, but might be interested in getting it. Thanks for your reply.

That got my attentiion, too - even though I'm a recovering smoker. Just Google "electronic cigarette" and you'll find a ton of information. Looks like it's pricey - but then so are cigarettes these days!

Seriously,,,I need to know if I need to have a bedtime smoke,,,on my balcony,,,on Celebrity Century ship,,,4 nite cruise,,,will I be busted?? What is the worse case scenario. Has anyone done it?? Do I have to get dressed and go to one of the smoking areas. I really cannot believe that when you are on vacation you cannot smoke "outdoors" which is what a balcony is.

I need you to be honest,,,have you done it,,,what happened,,,and what is the worst that can happen. We are on holidays,,,dress code,,,rules,,,,etc.etc. I sure hope that I did the right thing by booking a cruise to see if I like it.

Of course it's possible. Having a smoke at night on your balcony you probably won't be caught. If anybody notices the smoke and is bothered enough to report it, by the time anything can be done or proven it will be way after the fact.

Of course it is against the rules but you probably can get away with it as much as booze smuggling, pop card sharing, chair hogging, dining room dress faux pas, cutting into the line at the buffet, practicing poor elevator etiquette and the list goes on. Almost everyone picks a rule they want to disobey, for whatever reason. If sneaking a smoke is yours, go ahead. Happy cruising.

Pearl

It's an electronic cigarette....using a battery, atomizer and nicotine. The battery is rechargeable and the nicotine cartridges can be refilled. It produces vapor, not smoke, so there's no odor or fire involved. I got one over 7 weeks ago just to cut down on the amount of "real" cigs I smoked. I NEVER intended to quit but by the end of the 1st day I had no desire to light a real cig. After 41 yrs I'm finally off cigarettes and use my e-cig instead.

There aren't many companies in the US that sell them but if you want to email me I can let you know who I use and recommend. The e-cig was a hit on the ship and a couple we met was so impressed with the e-cig that he got on the internet on the ship and ordered one for both him and his wife. They're about $55 and come with 2 batteries and a charger. The nicotine juice would cost you under $25 a month even if you're a heavy user so WAY cheaper than cigs.

My email is popsec at comcast dot net if you want my supplier's name. I think these are the best invention ever and are a great way around the no smoking laws!

That got my attentiion, too - even though I'm a recovering smoker. Just Google "electronic cigarette" and you'll find a ton of information. Looks like it's pricey - but then so are cigarettes these days!

They are actually quite cheap when compared to money spent on cigs...$55 or so for a whole start-up kit.

I'm not a smoker but I can be understanding of those who do smoke and need their fix. I need mine too be it chocolate, caffine or liqour. But, those items don't push my satisfaction onto someone else.

If I were to smell smoke ina non-smoking area, I'd address it for sure. What I don't understand is why not make 1 side of the ship smoking and the other non-smoking, with the aft areas alternating on smoking/non-smoking. Seems as you could also do this as alternating decks.

Thanks for your post. I just never really understand why non smokers are so very much opposed to ANY sort of smoking areas on a ship, even if it is just one or two bars where a ship could allow smoking. Can't everyone compromise somewhat??

Of course it's possible. Having a smoke at night on your balcony you probably won't be caught. If anybody notices the smoke and is bothered enough to report it, by the time anything can be done or proven it will be way after the fact.

Of course it is against the rules but you probably can get away with it as much as booze smuggling, pop card sharing, chair hogging, dining room dress faux pas, cutting into the line at the buffet, practicing poor elevator etiquette and the list goes on. Almost everyone picks a rule they want to disobey, for whatever reason. If sneaking a smoke is yours, go ahead. Happy cruising.

Pearl

Please don't take this wrong but Celebrity is enforcing this rule quite vigorously and the other passengers on the ship apparently are aware and reporting violators. First offense is $250 fine and second is dropping you off at the next port. Finally please remember that the cruise lines now have cameras all over the outsides of the ships as a CYA for their own protection. I am making no comments either way as to what the OP should do but advising him of the reality of the situation.

Seriously,,,I need to know if I need to have a bedtime smoke,,,on my balcony,,,on Celebrity Century ship,,,4 nite cruise,,,will I be busted?? What is the worse case scenario. Has anyone done it?? Do I have to get dressed and go to one of the smoking areas. I really cannot believe that when you are on vacation you cannot smoke "outdoors" which is what a balcony is.

I need you to be honest,,,have you done it,,,what happened,,,and what is the worst that can happen. We are on holidays,,,dress code,,,rules,,,,etc.etc. I sure hope that I did the right thing by booking a cruise to see if I like it.

My DH smokes a pipe, cherry he loves it He was told last year that if he smokes again in his cabin that they will throw him out. I was told this too by the couple in the next cabin. I do not think you can smoke in your room, cabin unless its the designated area. but make sure or you will be beheaded with a big fine like Stanley did.

Lortta

Thanks for your post. I just never really understand why non smokers are so very much opposed to ANY sort of smoking areas on a ship, even if it is just one or two bars where a ship could allow smoking. Can't everyone compromise somewhat??

I'll give you a reason why non-smokers get so up in arms.....

2 weekends ago I was in Flagstaff, AZ at a hotel that was 100% non-smoking. Great!!! However, 2 doors down from were a chain smoking couple. At 4am I was awakened from a sound sleep because I smelled smoke coming in through my air conditioning vent. They continued taking turns out there until about 6am, when I finally got up and turned off my air vents. They also did this in the evening.

I know, it would have been way to much to ask, which I did, to have them go down to the parking lot away from air vents to indulge their needs. Instead, they felt they were obeying the rules. Even though it interfeared (sp) with my rights to a non-smoking enviroment.

Who was right???? I paid for the non-smoking room, which had smoke pulled in through the air vents. The smokers didn't break the rules by smoking in their room.

As you said, some comprises can and need to be made to make all happpy.

And to the person complaining about this being an old post from months ago......STOP READING IT THEN!!!! This is a relevant topic, period.

It's an electronic cigarette....using a battery, atomizer and nicotine. The battery is rechargeable and the nicotine cartridges can be refilled. It produces vapor, not smoke, so there's no odor or fire involved. I got one over 7 weeks ago just to cut down on the amount of "real" cigs I smoked. I NEVER intended to quit but by the end of the 1st day I had no desire to light a real cig. After 41 yrs I'm finally off cigarettes and use my e-cig instead.

There aren't many companies in the US that sell them but if you want to email me I can let you know who I use and recommend. The e-cig was a hit on the ship and a couple we met was so impressed with the e-cig that he got on the internet on the ship and ordered one for both him and his wife. They're about $55 and come with 2 batteries and a charger. The nicotine juice would cost you under $25 a month even if you're a heavy user so WAY cheaper than cigs.

My email is popsec at comcast dot net if you want my supplier's name. I think these are the best invention ever and are a great way around the no smoking laws!

In our circle of friends we have only 1 person who smokes. He has always been considerate and always went outside to smoke. He recently got an e cig and we are please that he no longer has to miss out on the group's socialization for his smoke breaks.

These really do work -both for him and those around him

I sailed NCL POA in October and was able to smoke in my room and balcony. But now I've found an alternative to smoking even tho I still smoke cigarettes. I love it!.....can smoke in places where cigarette smoking is prohibited...airports, restaurants, and yes, cruise lines that have the NO SMOKING rule, etc.....I still get the same satisfaction....you can email me about this if you want to... michiganflame@yahoo.com

gg

It's been interesting reading all the posts on this thread. All of us, whether smokers and non-smokers, have rights and should respected and treated with dignity

The OP was not about the merits of either side of the smoking controversy, but about ignoring rules managing smoking. If a cruise ship has established rules, passengers should have a right to expect that they will be observed.

Non-smokers have the right to expect that specified areas will indeed be smoke-free and not encroached upon by those who ignore the rules. Likewise, smokers have the right to expect that they will be able to smoke in designated areas without being harrassed, lectured, etc.

If the OP values the opportunity to enjoy a smoke on his balcony, and the ship prohibits it, he should choose a different ship with a different rule. Likewise, non-smokers can expect that smoking WILL occur in designated smoking areas and have no right to complain.

Unfortunately, it seems mutual respect and consideration for others are being replaced by an attitude of self-centeredness and self-promotion. As these boards show, whether the rule be about dress codes, who can be in pools, alcohol, or whatever, there are, IMO, far too many posts asking what someone "get away with". Just an observation:o:)

And to the person complaining about this being an old post from months ago......STOP READING IT THEN!!!! This is a relevant topic, period.

I wasn't complaining. I was pointing out that the OP has already sailed three months ago and has been away from Cruise Critic since February. There were several people responding directly to the OP telling her what she should/should not do on her cruise. That is not relevant at all. You might want to get off your high horse and get your facts straight before you insult someone.

Archived