Dream Review 10/24-10/31

moonlightdancer

Well, I'm finally getting down to writing a review. We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on the Dream. The staff was wonderful, Julie the cruise director was very helpful and friendly, and the staff in the dining rooms was always very good. The food was ok in general, the buffet was not the best food on the boat for sure. The menus inthe dining rooms were good and LeBistro and Trattorria had really great food and service. My Mom was celebrating her birthday and everyone went out of their way to make her trip special.

Sunday-embarkation-we arrived at the port at about 10:15 or so and waited in a very long line to get to the end of the terminal were the Dream was docked. We were arriving in our complimentary limo from the Maisson St. Charles that was part of their Bon Voyage package. But our driver was just stuck sitting for almost 45 min. The NO port really needs to do something about their traffic management, they have 2 ships departing on the same day and you can't get past the Carnival area of the dock to get down to the Dream. Once we finally made it to the other end, the porters took our luggage and we were checked in in no time. They did not let us begin boarding until 11am but we only had to wait about 5 min. by the time we were done. Once we boarded we got our soda cards ($28) and set up our internet time, and made our appt. at the spa, you get a special discount if you make you appt the first day. They were also having a special "shoulder and neck relaxation" massage for $35 for the first day only so we made an appt for that, too. You could also get a foot and ankle massage for the same price. We loved it, it was a great way to relax after all the rush that morning. We wandered around the ship to try to get familiar with the layout. Had lunch at the buffet, food was ok. It is a little difficult to learn you way around, but you get used to it. I just avoided the forward elevators if at all possible. The deck party started at about 5pm with music, bbq, and dancing, and we sailed off to a beautiful sunset. Watched the show in the showroom, music and dancing and a comedian, all were pretty good. We watched from the deck for a while as we sailed down the river and then turned in for the night. OUr cabin was great, plenty room for storage. My over-the-door shoe hanger came in handy for the bathroom. No refrigerator, but there is a safe. And only two electrical outlets. We had a great nights sleep and woke for our first sea day.

MOnday-at sea-Great weather today. We spent all day just relaxing. Had a manicure and pedicure (got a special discount on the first day appt) which was very nice. Breakfast at the buffet, ok but we opted for sit down breakfast the rest of the week. It was usually almost as fast. Lots of time to sit around the pool, bbq for lunch on the deck was very good. Played Bingo, was pretty pricey, paper cards were $29 for 12 cards (3 cards for 4 games)and power machines were $39 for 24 cards (6 cards for 4 games). If course we never won anything all week. Tonight is formal night, so we all dressed up and took pictures. Of course the only photo they lost all week was the one of our whole family on formal night. Kept telling us they would look for it , but never showed up. A little disappointed and don't think they really even tried to find it. Had dinner at Four Seasons and line was very long due to formal nite. This was the only night we had to wait more than 10 min for dinner.

Tuesday-Cozumel-arrived at about 10am and docked. We were off the boat by 10:30 and got a taxi (van) to take us to Chankanaab Park. He took all 6 of us and came back to pick us up at 2:30 and included our $12 entrance fee for $100 which we thought was fair. Had agreat time at the beach. Snorkeling was great. Beach was beautiful and not crowded. There are shops and a restaurant/bar. I had my hair braided on the beach there and didn't have to fool with it the rest of the week (until the time to take them out). We went back to the dock and did some shopping there and got back on ship. Had dinner at the Mexican buffet poolside which was pretty good. Hung out on the deck for a while then turned in early.

Wed-Roatan-up for breakfast and then played bingo again. Arrived at Roatan at about noon. Met for excursions in Stardust lounge. We went through NCL for Tabayana Beach Party and had no problem getting off the ship right away and proceeded to the bus. It was beautiful scenery but the people are quite poor but they seem happy. Our guide said before the cruise ships came 6 years ago there were only 2 elementary schools on the island but now there are several and also high schools and a college. He was a student at the college studying computer science. The beach was beautiful and didn't seem really crowded. The snorkeling was great. The coral reefs were just beautiful. The bbq on the beach was pretty good, the hot dogs were tasty. We had chairs in the shade so we just had a wonderfully relaxing day. Back on the ship, had dinner in the dining room and we went to the Sea Legs at Sea Show, music and dance was very good and then watched the Not so Newlywed Game which was cute.

Thurs-Belize-arruved at around 7am

and were off the boat right away in a tender which was quick and fairly smooth sailing and then onto a bus for our cave tubing. Our bus broke down on the way in front of a school, and we were ont he side of the road for about 45 min. Finally got rescued by another bus and headed on to the resort. On arrival had to climb a very steep hill to get to the resort then got our inner tubes and life preservers and walked down to the river where we crossed over and climbed some steep steps to get to the trail. The trail was fairly level but it was quite hot and humid. When we reached the river we had to repel down a rope about 3 feet into the water. The river was moving slowly so you had to paddle some but it did not require a great dela of exertion. The water was crystal clear blue and very shallow in spots. YOu could hear everyone (there were about 1000 people on the river that day) yelling "butts up" ahead to you. But some spots were so shallow you had to push off the rocks. The cave was very beautiful inside and it was really fun. At the end you have to get out of your tube (and there's no graceful way to do that) and climb up a few steps to the resort again where we had a yummy meal of grilled chicken with a special Belizian sauce, rice and beans, and cole slaw and a coke. Then it was back to the bus, there is a little gift shop there at the resort and some venders along the trail. We were running behind and were late getting back to the dock due to our bus breaking down, but we weren't the only ones, apparently at least 2 other buses broke down at some point. We were glad we spent the extra money to go through NCL for this excursion as we were late getting back to the ship and they waited for us. Had dinner at Trattoria that nite for my MOm's birthday. Food was great and service was great too. They brought my Mom and cake and sang happy birthday. We were all tired from a long day on Belize and went to bed early.

Friday-Cancun-thursday nite was pretty bumpy but none of us got seasick but we were concerned when we reached Cancun quite late and then they were having problems with the tenders. We were supposed to go to Tullum today, but about 1014 they announce we would not be going ashore and would have another sea day. We were disappointed not to see the ruins but we were happy to have another day to just relax. SPent the day just catching up on odds and ends, posting on internet and doing email. Great bbq for lunch by the pool. Played bingo and lost again. David and I had dinner at LeBistro that nite, but first we watched the musical showCountry Gold. IT was very good and we hated to leave early for our reservation. We orderd the surf and turf which was $25 per person extra but it was worth it. Everything was delicious and our waitress was charming and efficient. Afterwards we went and took some pictures as it was the second formal nite and then at 11pm went to the Chocoholic Buffet which was a delicious as it was creative.

Sat-at sea-another wonderful relaxing day, best weather yet. It was warm on deck but not too windy. Had a full massage-the one with the hot rocks-I highly recommend it-felt incredible. Spent most the day around the pool. Tried bingo one more time-lost one more time. Great bbq on the deck for lunch. For dinner we ate in the Terraces and it was good and service was fast, no waiting tonight. Went to the Talent Show which was really bad...I guess we didn't have a very talented group. Then they had a movie trivia game which was really hard, then a show with Mario and Jennie which was comedy and dancing, really funny stuff!! Back to the room to packup and get out luggage in the hall. Really hate to think about leaving.

Sun-back in New Orleans-arrived at around 5am, but I was asleep. Had breakfast at the Terraces, only had to wait about 5 min. After we just waited in one of our cabins for the call. Disembarking was easy but getting to our car was a nightmare. My brothers walked to the trolley and went down to the Maison St Charles to pick up the cars. But they had to sit in traffic in the port for over 2 1/2 hours while we were standing on the sidewalk waiting. The traffic is really a problem. It seemed everyone else was having better luck with taxis and shuttles which were approaching on the other side, but private cars were forced to wait in line behind all the disembarking Carnival passengers.

In all it was a wonderful vacation and we think we certainly got our money's worth. I will be posting a web site with lots of pictures of the stateroom and public rooms next week and the Freestyle Dailies as well. I will post a mesage here when it is ready.

moonlightdancer

Was your cruise director Julie Valeriote ? If so I am delighted she has earned the position. She ran the Kids program on the Star. Was my ACD on the Dawn the first time we were on the ship. filled in as the CD for a week the second time on the Dawn. Last time I spoke with her she was off to bring the Spirit across and get it ready for the US market.

Hi Moonlightdancer,

Thanks for a great review. I have a couple of questions.

1. What category of cabin were you in?

2. Can you ask for one of those "egg carton pads" to put on your bed?

3. Would you say getting in line at 11:00 AM would be a good time?

4. With the soda card do you receive the 12 oz. container AND the blue dot to put on your card?

5. What time was the life boat drill on Sunday?

6. And, finally, how far ahead of time can you make reservations in the pay restaurants?

Thanks so much.

Kathy

Hi Moonlightdancer,

4. With the soda card do you receive the 12 oz. container AND the blue dot to put on your card?

6. And, finally, how far ahead of time can you make reservations in the pay restaurants?

Thanks so much.

Kathy

Kathy-we were in cabin 5243, don't remember the category but it was a standard oceanview room with a large window. Don't know about the egg crate mattress. 11am was great for the check in but the traffic was bad, but I don't know that the traffic would be any different at any other time. Yes, you get a cup and a sticker for your soda card, we had no trouble getting sodas without our cup though. The boat drill was at about 5:00. There was never any info that said there was a limit on how far ahead you could make reservations, we made reservation for LeBistro for Friday on Tuesday and they took it. That's the only restaurant that requries reservations.

moonlightdancer

Was your cruise director Julie Valeriote ? If so I am delighted she has earned the position. She ran the Kids program on the Star. Was my ACD on the Dawn the first time we were on the ship. filled in as the CD for a week the second time on the Dawn. Last time I spoke with her she was off to bring the Spirit across and get it ready for the US market.

Shore Guy, that's her! She certainly deserved the new position, she was terrific!

Hi Moonlightdancer,

Thanks so much.

Kathy

Kathy...we were on the Dream for the October 17th sailing...our friends asked for the egg crate toppers and were told they didn't have them. Their steward made the bed with an extra comforter under the sheets and that helped some.

Birdie 16 and Moonlightdancer:

(1) Do you know of any way to avoid the horrible traffic trying to get to the Dream?

(2) Is there an entrance that is past Carnival's dock and takes you right to the Dream?

(3) Would it be faster to be dropped off at the entrance to the pier area by a taxi and walk the rest of the way or is that too far?

(4) What time would you suggest is the best to arrive at the pier?

Thanks again for your answers.

Kathy

Thanks so much, moonlightdancer, for the review. We will be going on the Dream on January 2

Kathy Allitto, we are in cabin 5227 (which would be just a few rooms up from moonlightdancer's), and we are Category EE, with is an unobstructed oceanview room.

Kathy, I don't really know when the traffic clears out as we were there early, but when we were waiting so long to get picked up, the traffic was still bad when we left at about 1:30, I don't think there is a solution until the police set up a better way to manage the traffic at the entrance and then there is also the problem of the train track. We were stuck waiting on the train coming and going as well. No way around that, but that was only a small percentage of the time we had to wait. There is no set aside lane for the NCL traffic to get past the Carnival traffic, that would solve the problem if the lane was enforced as well. let's hope someone gets it over there and fixes the problem. Being dropped off at the entrance and walking would be faster if you don't have too much luggage to carry. I don't think there was another entrance as I didn't see anyone coming in, the traffic is supposed to be going both ways but they change it to a one-way apparently when ships are there. I don't really understand they're reasoning but that's what we observed.

Kathy, I saw a lot of people getting out of their taxis on Convention Center Blvd. and walking to the pier with their luggage. Also, many passengers roll their luggage through the Riverwalk shopping mall up to the third floor, past The Limited clothing store, out the door, down the stairs, and into the passenger boarding area. The Dream is closer to the stores of the Riverwalk than the Conquest is--if everyone in my group could handle their luggage, I think I would try it that way.

TxLngHrnz, as you probably know, the Hilton Riverside is connected to the Riverwalk. If you're able to handle your own luggage, you can walk through the Riverwalk with it to the third floor, or you can exit the Hilton and pull it down the street to the boarding area (but you'll have to dodge cars--no sidewalk that I can recall). I don't see how a taxi would help much unless you or someone in your group can't walk and needs to be dropped off right at the door. I frequently shop at the Riverwalk and see lots of people rollling their suitcases through the mall. I also see lots of people rolling their older relatives in wheelchairs with the kids and suitcases piled on top.

Found out a few days ago I will probably be in a conference in Houston Feb '06. The Dream is scheduled to take over NCL sailings from TX, so now I have to figure out if I want to go down a week early, or stay a week later.

Thanks for the review.

-Monte

Moonlightdancer, Loved the reveiw. Going on the dream for thanksgiving and I can,t wait. The dailies were a great . And hows this for a surprise, Our cabin i2 5243 !!!!Hope youleft a bootle of campagne for us LOL!!

Goodshiplolloipop, Sorry we "disposed" of all the champagne, but we did leave the room in good shape for you. Say Hi to Aya and Nestor, your cabin stewart, they are terrific!!They'll remember my husband, he looks like Santa Claus! Will be finishing my website tonight with lots of pictures and will post link. Got slowed down as our kitty got hit by a car and had to have surgery and constant attention for a few days, but will have it finished tonight and you can see pictures fo your actual room!! How cool is that!

In case anyone is interested in some pictures from the Dream, I have posted my website, realize this is not a professional website, just my way of sharing our travels with friends and family, so there's lots of personal pictures on there. But you can see some of what the ship looks like and there are pictures of our cabin in detail. The link is http://www.thewanderingwoods.com/Carib/index.html

Hope it will help for those of you going on the Dream in the near future.

You might say your site isn't professional, but I think it's great.

Love the photos, and I now have the Freestyle Dailies committed to memory. I'm betting they aren't a whole lot different than the ones for our upcoming cruise on the Sun. The itinery is only slightly different.

And I bet it's pretty much the same as when the Dream sails out of Houston next year.

thanks

-Monte

Archived