Our opinion of the aft balcony

GwenyP

April seems like such a long time away.....

BUT>>> we recently changed our 5th deck Aft Balconies (On the Pride), to the 4th Deck (4232 and 4241).

I also take a mix of Bonine and Ginger each morning... and should be fine!

After 8 cruises, it is something different and new for us... cannot wait!

Catrin

OK, we just got back from the Miracle last Thursday (the 11/05/08 cruise). We stayed in aft balcony cabin 6333 on the Empress deck (not the wrap - just extended). Since so many inquire about the aft balcony, I thought I'd give the opinion shared by me and my husband. This was our sixth Carnival cruise, third balcony and first in the aft.

As always, we loved our balcony but in the end we decided that we prefer a balcony on the side. Here's the pros and cons -

1 - We enjoyed the view of the wake, but with the aft balcony we couldn't look straight down to the water because the rear of the ship is sloped. I like standing at the railing looking down into the water, so for me this was a problem.

2 - You could get some sun on the aft balcony, which on one hand is nice but it does cause it to be rather hot back there. Plus, when it rains my husband likes to sit on the balcony during the storm and he couldn't do this with an aft balcony because there's only a couple of feet of overhang.

3 - If you stand at the railing of the balcony you get a little bit of breeze, but not much. We missed the breezes coming from the ocean.

4 - If you have smokers on the balconies under you, the smoke will drift up. There was a cigar smoker on the deck below us and that nasty stench drifted up every time he was out there. He smoked a cigar out there at least once a day too and always at sailaway. It really put a damper on using the balcony for us. I wish people had more consideration for others.

5 - Being able to see a panoramic view was nice, but you also don't get to see much of the port when you arrive. My husband pointed out that this was a peeve of his.

6 - There was more motion back there, but it didn't bother us. We're not prone to motion sickness.

7 - Because the back of the ship is slanted, you do lose part of the extended balcony because of the slant. Not a big deal for us, but just thought I'd point it out.

Overall we loved the balcony of course, but next time we'll just book one on the side.

Simple solution book side balconies and leave the good aft balconies ( especially the wraps ) for me :D

I've read the afts are hotter because of the air flow outside. This may sound dumb, but is it just hotter outside or is it hotter on the inside of the aft balcony cabins as well with the door shut. How about at night? Looking at Legend.

Ask and ye shall receive: http://jjj.dyndns.org/~cruise/cabin5268.html

These pics are of the Legend (Carnival) cabin 5268 in Oct. 2005.

Enjoy!

GP

Thanks so much! I was booked in 5297 originally (the one next to the other aft wrap), but moved to 4230, directly under 5268, so that gives me a good idea of what it will be like. Of course, the cabin is identical to 7192 we had last year.

Now, some pics of the actual balconies on the "regular" aft (4230, 4232, 4241 or 4239) would also be nice!

I want to see if it's actually deeper than the cabins above or just appears that way because it doesn't have the slant. If only I were driving, I'd bring an air mattress to put out there to lay out, since there aren't loungers out there.

:p

Just kidding!

I've read the afts are hotter because of the air flow outside. This may sound dumb, but is it just hotter outside or is it hotter on the inside of the aft balcony cabins as well with the door shut. How about at night? Looking at Legend.

Just on the outside.

I've had 2 side balconies...not sure what kind of breeze people are getting there as the dividers block any airflow unless you hang over the railing. :p

The side balconies also do not face forwar but sideways...and if you are on the side that is not facing the port as you pull in, sometimes you see even less than the aft.

As for smoke from smokers...the aft balconies slant in so the deck below is out further and the ship pulls away from the smoke unlike if you had a smoker next to you on the side where thw ships movement and outside breeze would tend to make the smoke drift past your balcony.

But everyone looks for something different, and everyone sees things a different way.

I love watching the wake and pulling out of port, and being able to stretch my legs out when I sit out there.

Book whatever makes you happy and enhances YOUR trip.

;)

There was PLENTY of breeze on the side balcony in 7192. In fact, it was very cold when we were in the shade, and very hot when in the sun.

We were so cold the first day at sea, we put on the big, thick bathrobes when we were out. It was the only way we could sit there. It was very windy.

The neighbors (cabin in front of ours) were smokers and the smoke blew straight back into our space.

Obviously, as with most things on a cruise, different people will have very different experiences in what would, initially, seem to be the same circumstances.

There was PLENTY of breeze on the side balcony in 7192. In fact, it was very cold when we were in the shade, and very hot when in the sun.

We were so cold the first day at sea, we put on the big, thick bathrobes when we were out. It was the only way we could sit there. It was very windy.

The neighbors (cabin in front of ours) were smokers and the smoke blew straight back into our space.

Obviously, as with most things on a cruise, different people will have very different experiences in what would, initially, seem to be the same circumstances.

yep!

:D

I'm not on Miracle until NEXT December, so it's you who will have to post a full review with a gazillion photos when you return in June! :D

But if anyone has any Spirit-class aft cabin/balcony photos, feel free to share now!

Hi Tribe...Hello from bottom of NC>>>>>Go to webshots....log onto budsheila

then go to albums. once in albums : carib.....album 4 page 4.....then allbum 5 page 3 that might give you an idea of the view. 8I pana deck on legend.....My wife loved it. Will be on side this time on Glory so I will see how they differ...Have a great Cruise.

OK, we just got back from the Miracle last Thursday (the 11/05/08 cruise). We stayed in aft balcony cabin 6333 on the Empress deck (not the wrap - just extended). Since so many inquire about the aft balcony, I thought I'd give the opinion shared by me and my husband. This was our sixth Carnival cruise, third balcony and first in the aft.

As always, we loved our balcony but in the end we decided that we prefer a balcony on the side. Here's the pros and cons -

1 - We enjoyed the view of the wake, but with the aft balcony we couldn't look straight down to the water because the rear of the ship is sloped. I like standing at the railing looking down into the water, so for me this was a problem.

2 - You could get some sun on the aft balcony, which on one hand is nice but it does cause it to be rather hot back there. Plus, when it rains my husband likes to sit on the balcony during the storm and he couldn't do this with an aft balcony because there's only a couple of feet of overhang.

3 - If you stand at the railing of the balcony you get a little bit of breeze, but not much. We missed the breezes coming from the ocean.

4 - If you have smokers on the balconies under you, the smoke will drift up. There was a cigar smoker on the deck below us and that nasty stench drifted up every time he was out there. He smoked a cigar out there at least once a day too and always at sailaway. It really put a damper on using the balcony for us. I wish people had more consideration for others.

5 - Being able to see a panoramic view was nice, but you also don't get to see much of the port when you arrive. My husband pointed out that this was a peeve of his.

6 - There was more motion back there, but it didn't bother us. We're not prone to motion sickness.

7 - Because the back of the ship is slanted, you do lose part of the extended balcony because of the slant. Not a big deal for us, but just thought I'd point it out.

Overall we loved the balcony of course, but next time we'll just book one on the side.

We had this exact cabin on the Miracle and out of all our cruises this was our favorite!

Hot yes.. but we were in the Caribbean..

We felt it offered the best views and was quiet!.. our Neighbors below and next door smoked.. Only knew because we were talking with them.. never smelled it..

Sorry you didnt enjoy it.. we would definitely book it again!

EDITED: Dang.. didnt realize this thread was from the 19th!

We had this exact cabin on the Miracle and out of all our cruises this was our favorite!

Hot yes.. but we were in the Caribbean..

We felt it offered the best views and was quiet!.. our Neighbors below and next door smoked.. Only knew because we were talking with them.. never smelled it..

Sorry you didnt enjoy it.. we would definitely book it again!

EDITED: Dang.. didnt realize this thread was from the 19th!

sure...just bored to tears waiting to leave work like the rest of us huh?

LOL

I didn't say we didn't enjoy it .. We enjoyed it very much actually. We just prefer the side balconies for next time. As far as the smoke, I think the main problem was it being cigar smoke. IMO, that stinks a lot worse than cigarettes.

We were just in 4232 on the Miracle on the 11/13 sailing. Loved it!

Yes, I did find there was more motion, particularly on the one rather rough day we had. But, other than that, it wasn't really noticeable.

The cabins on the 4th deck are covered, so you can sit out when it rains, and there is shade. If you stand at the rail you will get some sun, or go up on deck.

The rail isn't really very slanted on the 4th either, so all the balcony is usable space.

It was very peaceful sitting out there - almost mesmerizing.

I will try to post some pictures when I get them uploaded to webshots.

We were just in 4232 on the Miracle on the 11/13 sailing. Loved it!

Yes, I did find there was more motion, particularly on the one rather rough day we had. But, other than that, it wasn't really noticeable.

The cabins on the 4th deck are covered, so you can sit out when it rains, and there is shade. If you stand at the rail you will get some sun, or go up on deck.

The rail isn't really very slanted on the 4th either, so all the balcony is usable space.

It was very peaceful sitting out there - almost mesmerizing.

I will try to post some pictures when I get them uploaded to webshots.

Looking forward to your photos of the balcony. We will be in 4230 in June. So excited already. This will be our first balcony!

And, PLEASE, never consider the 9A aft/wraps on the Conquest class ships... The balcony is way too big, and the view is horrendous..:eek:;)

Me, I book them whenever I can, but I LOVE warm Caribbean days, beautiful sunsets and sunrises, and seeing the port we just visited fade off as we sail away!:)

If you have any doubts, please book a port or starboard 'side' balcony.. ! I wouldn't have to book so early to get the aft, and never get an OBC...:(

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully, adding Ginger to Bonine has cured me of my motion sickness (used it for Miracle and Glory and had no problems; we'll see how it works on a smaller ship in a couple of weeks).

I am heavily proned to motion sickness too and use the bands, bonine and when the seas are really rough... the 'Anti-Motion Sickness Wrist Watch'. I did try the ginger drops but my tongue is highly sensitive due to Sjogren's Syndrome so they burned when melting. Chewing them upset my stomach too. I wonder if eating 'ginger-snap' cookies would have the same benefits? For some reason the cookies don't bother me. Any thoughts?

The only balcony I've had was on Miracle last December (7192, extended portside; wouldn't pay for that again as I also like the unblocked view straight down into the water).

Can you please elaborate? We are booked on Miracle, cabin 7186, extended balcony. Is this not a good location?

Thanks.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but...

I just didn't think the extra size of the balcony (and the extra cost for only 2 days at sea) was really worth it.

Most people say the obstructed view down is no big deal because when you're sitting there, you don't see the lifeboats. Well, I'm one of those who DOES like to spend a lot of time standing at the rail and looking down at the sea.

So - for me - if I can't get an aft (I booked my next Miracle well over a year in advance so I could get one before they recategorized the cabins and made it even more expensive), I'll just take a "regular" balcony with an unobstructed view.

It's not a big deal, really. But why pay more for a couple of extra square feet and an obstructed view down when I can save those few dollars and get that unobstructed view?

2627351700102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

gammy - I take the ginger capsules. Just had to take them with plenty of water as they seemed to want to sort of stick about halfway down, and then I could taste them.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but...

I just didn't think the extra size of the balcony (and the extra cost for only 2 days at sea) was really worth it.

Most people say the obstructed view down is no big deal because when you're sitting there, you don't see the lifeboats. Well, I'm one of those who DOES like to spend a lot of time standing at the rail and looking down at the sea.

So - for me - if I can't get an aft (I booked my next Miracle well over a year in advance so I could get one before they recategorized the cabins and made it even more expensive), I'll just take a "regular" balcony with an unobstructed view.

It's not a big deal, really. But why pay more for a couple of extra square feet and an obstructed view down when I can save those few dollars and get that unobstructed view?

2627351700102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

gammy - I take the ginger capsules. Just had to take them with plenty of water as they seemed to want to sort of stick about halfway down, and then I could taste them.

Oh, my! I am just like you...my husband and I LOVE to stand at the balcony and just look down at the water. It is so calming to us. We have four sea days, so this is a problem. I am going to send an e-mail to my PVP right away.

Thank you for the picture.

I heard there's not as much privacy on these balconies because of the angled barriers beetween the rooms. anyone have any photos to show if this is true?

We had an aft balcony on the Victory...the dividers are angled and we did not have any privacy...which was okay since we got along with all the people at the aft of the ship...the picture is of myself and a friend who is on her side of the balcony...

(Hi Sallie...if you see this :))

IMG_5682.jpg.bd48a1f43512b812cf22b7423dd687a2.jpg

Archived