Carnival Insurance Covers Non-Carnival Airfare

Ken076

I just spoke with a Carnival Rep (not a PVP or in Booking) who claims that the Carnival Berkley Trip Insurance covers non-Carnival Airfare, per the obscure carnival.com Carnival Trip Insurance link below:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/CVPP_Airline_Tickets.aspx

"Are my airline tickets protected?

!x-usc:%20

Carnival will refund your airfare to you REGARDLESS of whether or not your air was booked through Carnival Cruise Lines. "

This would make Carnival Trip Insurance somewhat more competitve with the 3rd party policies, but I'd research and document this coverage before relying on it!!!

ken

I just spoke with a Carnival Rep (not a PVP or in Booking) who claims that the Carnival Berkley Trip Insurance covers non-Carnival Airfare, per the obscure carnival.com Carnival Trip Insurance link below:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/CVPP_Airline_Tickets.aspx

"Are my airline tickets protected?

%21x-usc:%20

Carnival will refund your airfare to you REGARDLESS of whether or not your air was booked through Carnival Cruise Lines. "

This would make Carnival Trip Insurance somewhat more competitve with the 3rd party policies, but I'd research and document this coverage before relying on it!!!

ken

There are still countless policies that offer a better value and product than booking insurance with Carnival.

This is correct, and unfortunately I have actually had to assist in making a claim against it as well. Paid in full. No questions other than the standard underlying documents to support claim. The insurance is not by Carnival, it is just brokered by them. The insurance company took excellent care of us.

R

Not surprisingly, the "vacation planner" with whom you spoke was in error. Open the full plan description and you will see that coverage is only for components booked through Carnival. There are a variety of coverages and limits, but flights are included only under the air/sea package and reimbursment is limited to the amount you actually paid to Carnival. The only time guests are offered any reimbursement for independent flight arrangements is when Carnival cancels the cruise or moves guests to an alternate sailing.

Not surprisingly, the "vacation planner" with whom you spoke was in error. Open the full plan description and you will see that coverage is only for components booked through Carnival. There are a variety of coverages and limits, but flights are included only under the air/sea package and reimbursment is limited to the amount you actually paid to Carnival. The only time guests are offered any reimbursement for independent flight arrangements is when Carnival cancels the cruise or moves guests to an alternate sailing.

:confused:

‘‘Cruise Vacation’’ - means prepaid Sea/Land Arrangements

and shall include flight connections to join and depart such

Sea/Land Arrangements." Taken directly from the policy.

There is no such requirement in the plan that any arrangement must be made by Carnival. Thus any airfare is covered.

From Carnival's own FAQ section:

Are my airline tickets protected?spacer.gifCarnival will refund your airfare to you REGARDLESS of whether or not your air was booked through Carnival Cruise Lines.

Click here for more information.

This plan was designed and is administered by BerkelyCareSM.

IN CALIFORNIA: BerkelyCareSM is a service mark of Aon Direct Insurance Administrators, CA Insurance License # 0795465. IN ALL OTHER STATES: BerkelyCareSM is a division of Affinity Insurance Services, Inc. in all states other than CA, except: AIS Affinity Insurance Agency, Inc. in MN and OK and AIS Affinity Insurance Agency in NH and NY.

The information contained on this website is not an offer to sell nor a solicitation to buy any security or any insurance product. No security or other insurance product is offered or will be sold in any jurisdiction in which such offer or solicitation, purchase or sale would be unlawful under the securities, insurance or other laws of such jurisdiction. Some products and services may not be available in all jurisdictions

:confused:

‘‘Cruise Vacation’’ - means prepaid Sea/Land Arrangements

and shall include flight connections to join and depart such

Sea/Land Arrangements." Taken directly from the policy.

There is no such requirement in the plan that any arrangement must be made by Carnival. Thus any airfare is covered.

Open the plan description...

Section 1, Part A on page 3

Reimbursement will be no more than what was paid for the cruise vacation

(after all insurance rate is based on amount paid to Carnival...)

Section 2, paragraph 9, page 9

‘‘Sea/Land Arrangements’’ - means land and/or sea arrangements

made by Carnival Cruise Lines.

This thread could be very misleading to guests who are unaware of these restrictions and limitations. For clear answers to coverage questions, call Berkely directly at 800-331-2796.

It also covers you if you are driving and have car trouble and are delayed and can not get to the ship.

This is true...but your reimbursement is limited to the amount you actually paid to Carnival. Read plan description or call Berkely.

Carnival (not Berkely) will assist with non-refundable independent airfare ONLY if Carnival is responsible for you missing or having to cancel your flights (cruise cancelled, ship arrives late, etc).

Open the plan description...

Section 1, Part A on page 3

Reimbursement will be no more than what was paid for the cruise vacation

(after all insurance rate is based on amount paid to Carnival...)

Section 2, paragraph 9, page 9

‘‘Sea/Land Arrangements’’ - means land and/or sea arrangements

made by Carnival Cruise Lines.

This thread could be very misleading to guests who are unaware of these restrictions and limitations. For clear answers to coverage questions, call Berkely directly at 800-331-2796.

The Price you pay for the insurance is based solely on the cost of the Cruise portion of the vacation. They could care less if you fly Spirit, or the Concord, the cost of the insurance is based upon your cruise cost.

Benefits designed exclusively for you to protect your investment. Help ensure a worry-free vacation with Carnival’s Cruise Vacation Protection Plan.

Carnival’s Cruise Vacation Protection Plan Prices

Cruise Fair Paid (per person)

Vacation Protection Cost (per person)

$0 - $400

$49

$401 - $500

$59

$501 - $600

$79

$601 - $800

$89

$801 - $1,000

$99

$1,001 - $1,200

$109

$1,201 - $1,400

$119

$1,401 - $1,600

$139

$1,601 - $1,800

$149

$1,801 +

$179

I only purchased cruise insurance once when I flew to Miami. I purchased it unknowingly along with my cruise through an online TA. I didn't need to use it at all. Since that time I have cruised from NYC ports and haven't purchased any insurance.

Which type of cruises do you think it would be necessary to purchase insurance?

I know many people purchase insurance each and everytime due to work and personal problems. Right now I can have anytime I want away from work upto 5 weeks per year. And my family life is stable, the only thing that would keep me from cruising

I know I am probably jinxing myself right now by typing this, but oh well.:p

I always purcase the insurance. Not only will it reinburse for missed or bad delays with air, get you to the ship and put you up if they cannot get you right there. I get it for the out of pocket expenses for healthcare outside the USA. My family friend had emergency apendicitis surgery in Costa Rica and could not fly home commerical. Sent air ambulance and insurance picked it all up. For the price this insurance is a steal.

R

Archived