?(No) Trays in Lido

GeriatricNurse

This is one of the most unenlightened statements I have ever read. My mom is in a wheelchair and has been on 5 cruises so far. There is nothing wrong with people in wheelchairs taking cruises. Yes it requires more planning and can have difficult moments, but saying they shouldn't cruise at all is ludicrous. :mad: I think you need a reality check. I won't say anymore because I want to call you some words that are not acceptable.

Kyriecat...I obviously offended you and I apologize for that. I am not an unenlightened person. I do think if not having trays is an issue than someone can and should use the dining room. My point was that people complain about everything on a cruise (and most of the things cannot be changed) so they should stop complaining and worrying or go on a vacation that they won't have to complain about things. I was NOT saying that someone with a disability should find another way to vacation. I was saying that people need to stop complaining about things.

I apologize to anyone that may have been offended by what I said.

Ain't that the truth!

I cannot tell you the number of times I've asked for a half bowl of hot cereal only to be served a full bowl which I can neither eat nor can the servers put back into the vat.

Or have asked for just a very small amount of scrambled egg and they give me an overflowing spoonful. Or just 2 pieces of bacon plz and I wind up with a rasher.

Or the number of times at the pasta station I have asked for a half-order, very small amount or appetizer size amount (I've tried all sorts of ways) and still received a humungus plate of pasta which will go mostly uneated.

Or one scoop of ice cream plz and I get served two scoops anyway.

I wonder what they would serve me if I ordered half a Martini?

Again, if HAL wants to limits wastage, they need to have their servers listen and understand more carefully when passengers request a SMALL serving of something.

Boy, do I ever agree with you on that, Altosax!

Oh my, a depression era grill plate. Very nice. Very collectable.

Looks like an English Hobnail base with maybe a cornflower or sunflower cutting. That is a cutting rather than an etching on the rim, yes? Hard to tell from the photo.

Nope, here we have to disagree. Yes, it's cornflower, but not copper wheel or acid etched....looks like part of the pressed pattern to me.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. My family are collectors - of almost anything antique or vintage - who had to become dealers to support the addiction. :eek: First time I've seen something on this board that feeds the beast! :D)

but to be worrying about our food touching :eek: We are not grade schoolers and my gosh what do you think happens when it gets in your stomach :D

Difference: your stomach is waaaay past your taste buds. I personally don't find maple syrup on top of my caesar salad to be very appetizing! :eek:

You'll have to forgive me, I'm cranky because I just had a wisdom tooth yanked and am dying for some real food to sink the rest of my teeth into!! :D

Head office told me that if trays were not available we could ask for one and it would be produced - we will definitely be doing that.
Excellent news!

Frankly, if HAL is serious about cutting back on passengers taking excess food the plates should be smaller, not go to larger plates/platters (instead of trays). It is a 'trick' used by dieters as people tend to fill up a plate. Looking at a small serving of food on a large plate is visually unsatisfying - and we've all heard about how important 'presentation' is with food.

Another option is to make the serving utensils smaller, again resulting in smaller portions.

I'm not surprised that the Vistas have such large food waste. It would be interesting to know how that compares to the other ship classes. The Vistas seem to be built to attract the new and/or family cruiser to HAL. There is that 'new cruiser' mindset that says 'after all, I've PAID for all this food, I'm going to get as much as I can.." I'm SURE we're not the only experienced cruisers who no longer take (or order) nearly as much food as we did when we were first cruising.

If those people can't handle a tray now, what's the difference that they can't handle a plate? They need help now and they'll need it then. Obviously HAL has no problem providing that help, and will do so gladly ... though I must admit that I shake my head in wonder that some of these people even bother with the hassle of the Lido when they could be sitting comfortably in the dining room enjoying a meal that is brought to them.

1. With a tray the invalid's "helper" can conceivably make 1 trip for both of them. Without a tray the "helper" will probably have to make 2 or 3 trips. Not a disaster, but still an inconvenience for those who ware trying to help people with mobility issues.

2. One cannot eat in the Main Dining Room when it is CLOSED (as is the case on many port days, embarkation and disembarkation days).

Seems to be plenty of stewards in the Lido when I was on the Statendam, with trays. I had to wave them off just about every day when they would want to help me carry my tray back to the table during breakfast. I'd rather they be available for others who need the extra help and was always politely refusing their offer. The tables were also promptly bussed (unlike on Carnival where I had cruised for four days prior to the Statendam cruise) and stewards were always coming around offering coffee refills, etc.

Indeed ... the last S class ship I was on (the Ryndam) was also well bussed, with plenty of staff relative to passengers. The last Vista/Signature I was on (the Eurodam) was not well bussed and did NOT have plenty of staff. And it's on the Vistas/Signatures that this new operation will (at first) be implemented.

As for having enough people for the dining room, HAL keeps a running tally, at least at dinner, as to where people are dining each day. I'm sure they are keeping track of that for a reason, and the first one that comes to mind is for staffing. How many people are traditionally eating in the Lido, say on a formal night, and how many in the dining room? Based on those historical numbers, my guess is that's how many stewards/waiters are assigned to each area. Seems to work.

The formula will need to be changed to provide MORE servers, helpers, table staff, etc., in the Lido. If the demand there is too high, there may not be enough staff to fulfill the needs in the Main Dining Room. That, or they'll all get spread too thin everywhere ... which is already happening with the current staff deployment formula.

When he gets to the front of the serving line, he just says a word to the greeter there and I am sure a steward will be assigned to assist him. As I said, I saw that several times on my 35-day cruise, where we had a very high number of elderly and infirm passengers. Trust me, the dining room manager for the Lido made sure they had all the help they needed to enjoy a wonderful meal in his dining room, and I would imagine Karl will have no problems.

Under current operations, on an S/R ship, I absolutely agree. But move this to a Vista or Signature ship, with a larger area and 700+ more passengers, and add in the need for staff to more closely buss the tables, provide more consistent beverage and other table services (as at a buffet in Las Vegas), and I'm not sure there will be enough staff. The staff on the Vistas are already spread pretty thin ... this will make things worse. That is my concern. Am I willing to experience it for myself? Sure I am. I'm very ambulatory and and have no need for help or for a tray. My concern, probably driven by my pastoral training, is for OTHERS ... those with disabilities and those who care for them.

There are plenty of other HAL changes that I would prefer to get steamed over ... the lack of trays in the Lido just isn't one of them ... at least for now.

Indeed ... as in staffing shortages. This change will require more table service staff, hence compounding an already clear and present problem. :)

THis "no tray experiment" is apparently happening as we speak on both Oosterdam and Westerdam. Maybe we should check with folks posting here who just came off these two vessels and ask for their experiences in the trayless Lido. Beats beating the poor horse here with endless speculation on how it will affect all of us:cool:

...and I thought that was pretty bizarre - but more likely a "European" thing.

It was very difficult to get your plate of food, then save a spot for your soup bowl - then get your drink (the glasses were much smaller than HAL)

When I get lunch on HAL - I have to get a glass of iced tea and a glass of water to wash everything down, and double that if I'm fetching drinks for a friend while they scout out a table for us.

Without a tray, how many extra hands will I have to grow to get my lunch?

THis "no tray experiment" is apparently happening as we speak on both Oosterdam and Westerdam. Maybe we should check with folks posting here who just came off these two vessels and ask for their experiences in the trayless Lido. Beats beating the poor horse here with endless speculation on how it will affect all of us:cool:

But we've got to beat the horse about something between cruises. :D Hey, it keeps us out of trouble, officer. :D

Case in point:

Just off the OOsterdam (multipage.gif1 2)

Just off the OOsterdam

Well I last cruised in July for two weeks on the Veendam. So I thought I was up on the latest changes, wrong.....

Now the Oosterdam just switched to no trays in the Lido on this last cruise. I think it is good while others don't. This was done I was told for several reasons the main one was to speed up the lines. It worked in my opinion. It also stops people moving their tray along and "loading" their plate up with as much as they can and only eating half of it. Their were smaller portions being taken and I am sure not as much food waste. Tables are pre-set with cutlery in napkins so this isn't a worry. Stewards will still assit those to tables with their food.

Without a tray, how many extra hands will I have to grow to get my lunch?

Think extra trips to and from the buffet area, not extra hands. Hey, think of it this way: for those of us who are physically able, it's an opportunity to get some additional exercise. :D

Think extra trips to and from the buffet area, not extra hands. Hey, think of it this way: for those of us who are physically able, it's an opportunity to get some additional exercise. :D

Sure - but it's not that great for those of us who enjoy dining alfresco...

I am so confused! Will someone please explain how it's easier for a person with mobility problems to carry a tray than a plate? If you need to rely on a cane, walker, scooter, wheelchair, etc. to get around, it seems pretty obvious to me that it would be next to impossible to carry either one. What am I not getting?

Diane

I saw this thread a couple of days ago--and didn't think anything of it--so I didn't bother to look at it because after all who really cares about trays. Then I noticed that it was taking on a life of its own and thought--well it can't be about trays, trays must be a secret phrase for something really important about cruising so I decided to read it.

Imagine my surprise that yes...all this angst about trays, when most people haven't even personally been on a HAL cruise to experience the non-tray environment.

I have trouble balancing trays, I don't use them...but that's me. Considering the economy and other world events don't you think it is silly to worry about trays on a cruise ship?

Now--about the horse beating abuse---thats something to worry about!!!

I am so confused! Will someone please explain how it's easier for a person with mobility problems to carry a tray than a plate? If you need to rely on a cane, walker, scooter, wheelchair, etc. to get around, it seems pretty obvious to me that it would be next to impossible to carry either one. What am I not getting?

Diane,

While it may not be easier for a person with mobility issues to carry a tray rather than a plate, a tray does make it easier for the physically capable person taking care of the person with mobility issues to get several plates and a couple of drinks to the table without having to make multiple trips.

There are some people who have limited mobility for whom making more than one trip is an issue. Someone with a neuropathy, for instance, can make the trip once without any trouble, but getting up and down and making several trips becomes a painful chore for them. With a tray they don't have to get up and down several times or make more than one trip to the buffet/beverage station.

Diane,

While it may not be easier for a person with mobility issues to carry a tray rather than a plate, a tray does make it easier for the physically capable person taking care of the person with mobility issues to get several plates and a couple of drinks to the table without having to make multiple trips.

There are some people who have limited mobility for whom making more than one trip is an issue. Someone with a neuropathy, for instance, can make the trip once without any trouble, but getting up and down and making several trips becomes a painful chore for them. With a tray they don't have to get up and down several times or make more than one trip to the buffet/beverage station.

Thanks, Rev! I thought the bickering about HAL possibly going trayless was because that would make things more difficult for the mobile-challenged. So, I now see that it's about making things more difficult for the physically able-bodied folks.

And, honestly, how many passengers on a given sailing have neuropathy or something similar? I'd be willing to bet that they are not traveling solo and have a companion along who would be more than happy to make those extra trips to the buffet.

Hmmmm....... sounds like a lot of ballyhooing just for the amusement of the ballyhooers. :D

Diane

Nope, here we have to disagree. Yes, it's cornflower, but not copper wheel or acid etched....looks like part of the pressed pattern to me.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. My family are collectors - of almost anything antique or vintage - who had to become dealers to support the addiction. :eek: First time I've seen something on this board that feeds the beast! :D)

Oh good. Thanks for the Cornflower confirmation. You're probably correct about the pressed pattern. Very unusual, at least in my meanderings, to see Hobnails (or diamond cuts) combined with a secondary pattern AND the center wheel, as well. A real hodgepodge.

Thanks, Rev! I thought the bickering about HAL possibly going trayless was because that would make things more difficult for the mobile-challenged. So, I now see that it's about making things more difficult for the physically able-bodied folks.

And, honestly, how many passengers on a given sailing have neuropathy or something similar? I'd be willing to bet that they are not traveling solo and have a companion along who would be more than happy to make those extra trips to the buffet.

Hmmmm....... sounds like a lot of ballyhooing just for the amusement of the ballyhooers. :D

Diane

Please be careful,sometimes there's hooks inside of them

Rigged%20ballyhoo.jpg

:D

Diane

Well, you would lose that bet. I travel solo all the time and experience occasional (thankfully not continual) painful peripheral neuropathy.

Well, you would lose that bet. I travel solo all the time and experience occasional (thankfully not continual) painful peripheral neuropathy.

Hi Daniel! I travel solo, too.

I'm glad your condition doesn't prevent you from continuing to enjoy seeing the world. And, I'd be more than happy to assist you in the Lido! :D

Diane

Archived