Best london location for sightseeing?

CanWeGoYet?

I am planning a couple nights stay in london after a cruise. I had planned on staying at the Park Plaza Victoria, upgraded to an executive room that includes english breakfast, and access to the lounge with refreshments & cocktail hour. Now I am wondering if we would be better off staying in Kensington, there are some places less expensive like the Montana Hotel.

What location would have the most sights within walking distance? I know we could take the HOHO, or the tube, but considering how short our stay will be I want to be within walking distance of some attractions.

Also, if anyone reading this has stayed at the Park Plaza Victoria - did the 45 or 50GBP per night extra (for 2 occupants) seem worth it for the executive upgrade?

The main attractions are very much spread out in Central London, you will probably have one or two attractions within 5 minutes walk (at Victoria, Buckingham Palace is the only major sight that you would normally walk to from a hotel there).

Using your criteria on a money no object basis the best place I guess would be a hotel around Trafalgar Square or County Hall - but you pay a premium for this.

The Park Plaza at County Hall is a new 4 star that has been doing good rates. You could walk to Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and London Eye but unless you are going to walk all day , you'll be using public transport from here

You can go to Kensington and be within walking distance of Harrods, the Museums etc but the HOHO buses don't go out to Gloucester Road where many of the 4 stars are.

Many people find the Bloomsbury area by the British Museum a good place to stay. Hotel rates are resaonable, its central and walk able to the main nightlife and theatres and its a very interesting area just to explore on foot.

Hi, The thing is that London is a very big city - not like some other famous places that have a very obvious walkable centre. If you were to stay in Kensington you would be within walking distance of some sites but, by the same token, you are also well placed in Victoria. You could walk to Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament or Hyde Park for example. You will need the bus, tube or a taxi to see everything - unless you are very big walkers. Personally I really like the Victoria area - close to the sites but with a nice vibe. My daughter has just moved into a University flat right near your hotel. There are some nice local restaurants nearby too. My advice would be to stick with it. Jane

I think you've actually got a pretty good location there. You can get more central, but you'll pay. I wouldn't consider Kensington more central, although it is very convenient for museums in the area - I assume you mean South Kensington, as Kensington proper is quite a bit further west than Victoria. If I wanted to stay somewhere very central, I would probably look in the Leicester Square/Charing Cross area, but you won't find many bargains there - which is why I always stay in Paddington and take the bus! That is really what you want to do in London: get yourself a pay-as-you-go Oyster Card (purchase it at Victoria Underground Station), get a Central London bus map, and ride buses.

In London, it's all about transportation links. You're coming from Dover by train, which will arrive at Victoria. Your hotel is a 3-minute walk away. You have a myriad of buses that stop at Victoria station. You can take a coach from Victoria to LHR. All in all, it's an excellent spot transportation-wise.

If you're really concerned by price, there are budget options in the Victoria area as well.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice. I didn't mean to make it sound like money was no object, how I wish! But we will only be in london saturday mid day and need to be at the airport before noon, so a couple night splurge is within the realm of possibility.

I found AWESOME rates at this link for Shaftesbury Hotels - too bad it looks like the Piccadilly one is booked. If anyone else is looking, here's the link.

Shaftesbury Hotels London

I am planning a couple nights stay in london after a cruise. I had planned on staying at the Park Plaza Victoria, upgraded to an executive room that includes english breakfast, and access to the lounge with refreshments & cocktail hour. Now I am wondering if we would be better off staying in Kensington, there are some places less expensive like the Montana Hotel.

What location would have the most sights within walking distance? I know we could take the HOHO, or the tube, but considering how short our stay will be I want to be within walking distance of some attractions.

Also, if anyone reading this has stayed at the Park Plaza Victoria - did the 45 or 50GBP per night extra (for 2 occupants) seem worth it for the executive upgrade?

We stayed at this hotel in July and loved it and the location. We will be staying there again in 2010. The rooms are clean and modern and the bathrooms were quite big by UK standards.

As others have said you are within walking distance of many places and the tube is easily accessible for doing other sightseeing.

We didn't do the executive upgrade option since we were only there for 1 night and knew we would be out for a long time. Checked in around 9:00am from our overnight flight and our room was ready. We had friends meet us at the hotel and we left a little after 10am and didn't get back until 9:45pm so the refreshements wouldn't have been of any benefit to us.

Their breakfast buffet is nice, I did the cold continental and my hubby and daughter had the hot buffet. This was included in our rate so I do not know what they charge for it.

If you think you will be at the hotel for when they offer cocktail hour then book the exective option, if not just save your pounds and have a drink or 2 in a pub.

I don't think you can go wrong staying at this hotel. The staff were very helpful with any questions we had.

That's wonderful to hear, I had a good feeling about the place but then there are always going to be a few unhappy reviewers.

I think I will just stick with the Park Plaza Victoria. The executive upgrade seems a bit much, but could really come in handy. I know I will want to keep on sightseeing til I drop, but son may get cranky and dig his heels in. I'm sure we'll use the lounge for coffee or tea during the day & likely we'll be in long enough to grab a snack in the evening.

belle907 I love your countdown clocks! Another disney fan!

• 3 weeks later...

We love the Mayfair Piccadilly area. You are close to shopping, theatres, parks, the Green Park tube station, and restaurants. We used to stay at the Mayfair Intercontinental, but it changed to a Radisson and had mostly bad reviews. We've stayed at the Mayfair Holiday Inn, and it was very good. It's directly across the street from the Ritz and Green Park so it's a good area. We'll probably stay there again in May.

If you are planning to spend most of your time out of the hotel I would go with www.travelodge.co.uk

For instance, you can now get a room in Covent Garden for 2 nights in July 2009 for just £19 per room per night on a "saver rate".

Travelodge rooms are just perfect for what you need - you wont find fancy drapes and thick carpets, but you will find clean modern rooms.

Paul

South Kensington is good...but my very favorite hotel is down near the Thames, the Royal Horseguards! You're in walking distance of theater, Buckingham Palace, have easy access to the boats to Greenwich (lots of fun if you've never done it before) and in an extremely nice neighborhood. Also hand to tube and train.

If you are planning to spend most of your time out of the hotel I would go with www.travelodge.co.uk

For instance, you can now get a room in Covent Garden for 2 nights in July 2009 for just £19 per room per night on a "saver rate".

Travelodge rooms are just perfect for what you need - you wont find fancy drapes and thick carpets, but you will find clean modern rooms.

Paul

I just received an email from travelodge.co.uk and they are having a sale starting on 12/30 with rooms starting at 9GBP. A great deal.

Here's the website link, but right now it's just showing the countdown time: http://www.travelodge.co.uk/saver_rooms/landing.php

Terms & Conditions

£9 rates can only be booked online at http://www.travelodge.co.uk and are available on a first come, first served basis. £9 rooms are only available at selected hotels on selected nights for stays between 5th May and 6th September 2009. This offer is non-commissionable and cannot be used in conjunction with any other discount scheme. £9 rates must be paid for by a credit or debit card at the time of booking and cannot be refunded. Booking fee applicable for credit card payments, no charge for debit card payments. Information correct at time of print. Travelodge reserves the right to constantly adjust its room prices. Once you have made a booking, the price you paid will not change.

Thanks for the great advice! I think I will like the location of the hotel I had planned on staying in, Park Plaza Victoria. Is there a travelodge in this same area? I don't know london at all and have no clue which travelodge (if any) would be near by.

Thanks for the great advice! I think I will like the location of the hotel I had planned on staying in, Park Plaza Victoria. Is there a travelodge in this same area? I don't know london at all and have no clue which travelodge (if any) would be near by.

There is not a Travelodge in the Victoria area. Park Plaza Victoria is extremely convenient to all forms of public transportation.

Archived