AMS - Roemer Visscherstraat hotels?

bigwally

Those in the know for Amsterdam - is the Roemer Visscherstraat too far away from what is generally considered the "center of things" to be considered as a location for our stay?

If so, which neighborhoods are the best for a first time visitor?

If not, do you have a favorite amongst the boutique hotels on that street?

It depends what your interests are. If you like Rijksmuseum (Rembrandt etc.) or van Goghmuseum are you very close.

Also upscale shopping in PC Hooftstraat isnot that far away.

More common shopping in city-center and e.g. Ann Frank house are farther away, which in Amsterdam means take a tram to get there. Even waliing is possible if you donot mind longer walks.

Thanks for that. Amsterdam seems like such a big city on the maps I've been looking at. I assume that's a bit of an illusion and that things will be closer together than I've been supposing? Could you give me an idea of walking time from Roemer Visscherstraat to, say, the Ann Frank house?

Thanks for that. Amsterdam seems like such a big city on the maps I've been looking at. I assume that's a bit of an illusion and that things will be closer together than I've been supposing? Could you give me an idea of walking time from Roemer Visscherstraat to, say, the Ann Frank house?

Compared with the US cities Amsterdam is small. Also public trransport is excellent, trams, buses go very frequent.

Walking from R. Visserstraat to Ann Frank house will be around 20-30 minutes depending what route (and stops) you make.

Walking along the canals is very nice.

On this printable map: http://www.amsterdam.info/print/map/

you will find your hotel in section C 3, close to Vondelpark, while Ann Frankhouse is in section B 3.

Information about public transport: http://www.gvb.nl/english/Pages/default.aspx

check Maps. From Museumplein aswell as Leidseplein you will find trams in all directions. Some of them might have a stop even closer to your hotel.

Either pay single rides, or cheaper buy a "strippenkaart" tp ay in sections. Also a "daycard" is possible.

I agree with all of the posters. Yes, it's a little farther out, but not much. It's about a 10 minute walk to the Rijksmuseum, for instance. It's also a nice quiet neighbourhood, not nearly as touristy as right in the centre. And the trams really are great, and the city very walkable.

I love Amsterdam, it's my favourite city to visit, and although I don't know it well, I have spent about a month there over the years.

Archived