Auto Tipping + More?

NevadaHiRoller

Do you feel guilty if you don't give more than the auto tip?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel guilty if you don't give more than the auto tip?

• No, I feel the auto tip is sufficient
    • Yes, I feel like I have to give more to my waiter and room attendant or they will think I'm cheap
    • I think the auto tip is unfair to start with and I'd like to give to who I want to in person

After the auto tipping, do you feel guilty if you don't give more than that or do you feel the auto tipping is sufficient?

I answered no , but that doesn't mean that I don't ever give more, but if someone doesn't earn more I don't feel bad for giving them the suggested amount.

You should have added another choice to your poll.

We keep the auto-tipping in place and tip more as warranted.

:)

If provided THAT would have been my answer.

#2 was not an option because of the "because they'll think I'm cheap" statement.

I couldn't vote, because another option could have been in place:

No guilt. I LIKE to tip more if the service was over and beyond.:)

Totally agree, so I didn't vote either. We need another option!

We tip our waitstaff and cabin steward extra when we feel they deserve it (which is almost all of the time), and that extra varies depending on how well we feel they have served us.

I guess my point to this survey was really wanting to know if most people thought the auto tip is fine and it seems they do. Of course I know people tip more when they want, but I really wanted to find out if people feel bad when they don't, regardless of how good the service is.

I also voted no, but feel as others do that I often give more tips on top of the auto tips if the service warrants it.

We always leave the auto-tips in place. 2 of 3 cruises, we tipped extra to steward and dining staff because they were exceptional. 1 cruise, we didn't tip extra because the service was good but not outstanding, and I felt the auto-tips were enough.

I also voted no, but feel as others do that I often give more tips on top of the auto tips if the service warrants it.

We always leave the auto-tips in place. 2 of 3 cruises, we tipped extra to steward and dining staff because they were exceptional. 1 cruise, we didn't tip extra because the service was good but not outstanding, and I felt the auto-tips were enough.

Yup...same here.

I have tipped extra when I felt I had stellar service and had cruises where it was just the standard tips.

I do not feel guilty or cheap if I do not add extra tipping.

Thank you all for contributing. I really did get my answer that most of the people do feel the auto tip is fine. I realize some do leave more, as I always do, but sometimes I feel like I just HAVE to even if the service was just fine and good, because I always thought I was in the minority of NOT leaving more. I've mostly always had great service (not perfect every time), but I wouldn't consider anything so outstanding that I had to leave more, but I always do and did. I personally would feel guilty if I didn't, no matter how good/ok the service was. I mean I feel getting our cabins cleaned and maybe asking for a few items, is just basically the normal good service. What is it that makes it so far and above to people that they leave more?

Of course I know people tip more when they want, but I really wanted to find out if people feel bad when they don't, regardless of how good the service is.

Per this, I voted. I don't feel bad if I don't tip more, because for me, that means they didn't deserve more. They did their basic job and that was it. That being said, DH and I are pretty darn easy-going. So it isn't difficult for our staff to go above our expectations! ;)

I mean I feel getting our cabins cleaned and maybe asking for a few items, is just basically the normal good service. What is it that makes it so far and above to people that they leave more?

For me, basic service for the cabin steward is cleaning the cabin (and for Carnival leaving the cute towel animals), and for our wait staff it is serving our food. Little things beyond the basics add up and go into how I determine an extra tip.

For a cabin steward, some of those little things include:

saying hello to us by name

bringing wine glasses and/or bottle opener

keeping our beverages iced

clearing out our refrig without grumbling

being visible and making us feel like welcome guests

leaving beach towels without us requesting them

For dinner staff, little things would include:

keeping water/wine/coffee filled without prompting

bringing our skim milk every night without us asking for it

being sociable (to a point)

not letting us sit too long between courses

putting our napkins on our laps (love it!)

Some people may think those are standard basic service, but when I goto a normal hotel or a restaurant (not top end!), I don't expect those things. And for the price I pay to cruise Carnival, I compare it to "normal" hotels/restaurants. So to me, the services I listed are not standard, they are extra. jmho

I also needed another choice. We leave the auto-tips, but tip more when we feel the service justified more.

Only a couple of times in the last 25 or so cruises did we not tip more. Even though we cruise other lines, we add the tips to our Sea Pass cards and then tip additionally in cash.

We feel most cabin stewards and wait people make our cruise special, so we tip accordingly.

Archived