When do I have to be back on ship?

kald

I'm sailing on Millennium in less than a week and trying to plan out all our shore activities. Is there a certain amount of time that we need to be back on the ship at each stop before it leaves port? For example, if a ship leaves a port at 6pm, is it acceptable to be there ready to board at 5:45, or do they require you to be there an hour before they leave?

Thanks.

Adam

30 minutes before departure is the latest time they want you back. People have come back later than that, but it is scary! You do NOT want to see the ship sail away while you are on the dock!

Have a great cruise!

30 minutes before departure is the latest time they want you back. People have come back later than that, but it is scary! You do NOT want to see the ship sail away while you are on the dock!

And despite this, you will frequently see folks casually strolling back to the ship with only minutes to spare before she is due to sail.:rolleyes: On our most recent cruise, everyone must have been very prompt about returning on time because the ship pulled away from the pier almost ten minutes early in every port.

I certainly would be back on time, 30 min early, BUT have been on ships that sat in port for up to 45min to an hr. waiting for either passengers who had not returned yet (In Casablanca of all places, they we not on an organized tour of ANY sort and ended up jumping off the pilot boat just like the pilots do after we finally left.) They actually sent people out looking for them!! Including police. The other was crew who were late in arriving during a crew exchange-waited almost 1 1/2 hrs for them, but one young crewman came on the Pilot boat leaving the Panama Canal, as he missed the boat. (the Capt. said later they SHOULD have immediately dismissed him, that is a firm policy, but Panama was his home, and hadn't been back for over a year...so a little leeway was given!)

Thanks for all the advice everyone. That's helpful. I'm planning to be back a half hour before but I don't mind living life on the edge a little (and it wouldn't be the end of the world if I miss it... at least I can drive to the next stop).

Ok, so based on your replies I have some new questions: Does the ship normally leave later than the time listed on the itinerary? For example, the day in question is listed as being there from 9am to 6pm. Do you think I should plan to be back by 5:30 at the latest, or will the ship not really leave until later? After all, if I was telling passengers what time to be back, I would plan a little extra for those less responsible ones (us in this case).

Also, should I expect to be able to get off the ship right at 9am, or are there usually long delays in getting off after the advertised itinerary time?

I know this is getting pretty specific but I'm really trying to cram in a lot in one day and I think every minute will probably count. We'll be flexible on that day and adjust to make sure we get back on time, but your feedback is helping me to know how I need to adjust. Thanks!!!

Thanks for all the advice everyone. That's helpful. I'm planning to be back a half hour before but I don't mind living life on the edge a little (and it wouldn't be the end of the world if I miss it... at least I can drive to the next stop).

Ok, so based on your replies I have some new questions: Does the ship normally leave later than the time listed on the itinerary? For example, the day in question is listed as being there from 9am to 6pm. Do you think I should plan to be back by 5:30 at the latest, or will the ship not really leave until later? After all, if I was telling passengers what time to be back, I would plan a little extra for those less responsible ones (us in this case).

Also, should I expect to be able to get off the ship right at 9am, or are there usually long delays in getting off after the advertised itinerary time?

I know this is getting pretty specific but I'm really trying to cram in a lot in one day and I think every minute will probably count. We'll be flexible on that day and adjust to make sure we get back on time, but your feedback is helping me to know how I need to adjust. Thanks!!!

Of all the cruises I have been on, I don't remember the ship leaving any port later than the scheduled time. It may have, but not by much. There have been times when it has left early. Ships pay for dock time, and they don't like to spend more! Also, if you search the boards, you will hear stories about passengers watching the ship sail away.

Getting off at ports varies; sometimes passengers are able to get off earlier than the scheduled time. If the ship has to tender passengers to shore, or if there is a delay due to customs, or a similiar issue, it is sometimes later for passengers to get off. I don't know anything about your particular itinerary, though, since I have only sailed in the Carribbean. I DREAM about visiting your country. Maybe some day . . .

Before it leaves!!!

Really at least a 1/2 hour prior to sailing. They will give you the times they leave port. Take a hanky or towel with you in case you miss you can gentle wave good by to everyone!!

On the Summit earlier this month the departure from most ports was at 19:00. The daily requested we were aboard by 18:45.

The ship normally departs promptly at the scheduled time.

On arrival in a port a ship normally needs to clear customs. This is usually done swiftly with only a short delay before you can get off the ship.

Be careful about "living life on the edge" when it comes to returning to the ship from port. Showing up exactly half an hour before is "edgy" enough. The crew sometimes raises the gangplank soon after the all board time. If you arrive after the all aboard time there is a chance of being denied entry back onto the ship. In my experience it is as common for ships to leave port a bit early as it is for them to leave late - but generally they depart within several minutes of the scheduled time (they don't want to have to pay extra port fees).

If the ship is docked and not tendered it is pretty quick departing the ship most of the time. They do have to clear the local customs first, so it often is not immediate, but is usually quick. If you are tendering it can take some time leaving the ship (people in suites, high status in Captain's Club, and on excursions booked through the cruise line have priority for the first few tenders).

On our last Celebrity cruise, the ship left on time but the captain actually waited away from the port after the ship left the dock for people who had missed it. This was in San Juan--when our next two days were at sea before we disembarked in Fort Lauderdale.

We enjoy watching people stroll down the pier when the gangplank is being loaded back onto the ship. We've never seen anyone left behind, but we certainly heard their names being paged on one cruise. I think that one was with Princess.

Archived