Tip taxi drivers

This may be a stupid question, but we have never used a taxi service before and plan to use one in Cozumel and Tampa in a week. Is it common to just pay the fair? Or should you tip? Thanks.

I've always tipped on top of the fare, but the percentage amount varies depending on what city/country I'm in, following with local custom.

I tip a little more if I have luggage that I'm assisted with.

We tip 15% no matter where we are--US or outside of the country--unless the driver is overly rude or drives like a maniac! Never has happened anywhere but Vegas for us! We have never had anyone act offended at the tips;) if that is not the custom!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little late in finding your thread, but I spent about ten days on Cozumel. I normally tip a couple extra dollars for the taxi's. If you bring any bundles back with you, there is a cart porter that will take your things across for you and they only work on tips. I normally do this in pesos for them and they are very nice. Make sure that you agree on a price for your taxi before you get in. They are usually reasonable, but there are always a couple bad apples.

• 2 weeks later...
This may be a stupid question, but we have never used a taxi service before and plan to use one in Cozumel and Tampa in a week. Is it common to just pay the fair? Or should you tip? Thanks.

It is customary to tip taxi drivers....10% should be the minimum.

There are many websites with suggested tipping guidelines around the world...here's one:

http://www.essortment.com/all/tipping_rdef.htm

Why do people always cheap out to the poor taxi/limo driver?

You're spending thousands of dollars on your trip & you are going to cheap out on the hardest working guy of the whole trip.

Be generous, maybe if everyone started to treat these guys better, the service standards would go up.

You'd tip a waiter in the service business, why wouldn't you throw the hard working guy an extra $10 more than normal.

I always use www.redbanklimo.com when i travel. I tip the guy 20%. They always show up in a clean new Lincoln and even have water for me. No their not the cheapest, but i work hard throughout the year & I like to be treated well when I travel.

Archived