Shipping items back to US from x-mas markets

Iron City's Better Half

Hi everyone,

I'm just guessing that I'll acquire lots of items on our upcoming Christmas Market cruise. :) While we are bringing an extra bag along for some of the purchases, does anyone have experience shipping things back to the US?

If my office here in the states has a FEDEX account, will those shipping labels work to send items home? Are the cuise staff of any assistance (we're on Viking)?

Any help would be much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Having just returned from the Christmas Markets, all I can say is good luck. We looked EVERYWHERE for a place to ship things back and never found one. Asked our program director and she didn't know of any either. I brought an extra back with me and was able to use that for all my dirty clothes, so had plenty of room in my bigger suitcase to bring my treasures home. I can tell you that I gained almost 40 lbs coming home, if that tells you how much I bought! :D

Try UPS, here is a link for UPS - Germany (in English, they have facilities where your itmes can even been packed for you.

http://www.ups.com/content/de/en/bussol/offering/mbe.html?LinkId=Pri3_DE_UPS_Home2MBE&srch_pos=2&srch_phr=mail+boxes

Have a look under Locations for the address, e.g. there are 6 offices in Munich.

Ron

We just returned from the Christmas markets on Wednesday night. I bought everything in sight, lol. Our plan was to ship everything back when we got to Budapest.

We had our hotel look up how much it would cost for us to ship a box weighing about 40 lbs to the states and she looked at us like we had three heads, lol. She asked us if we really wanted to do that.

The price was 410.00 before insurance.:eek:. Needless to say the luggage overages would be less money. So we repacked our bags thinking we would have to pay the airline.

Budapest airport went on strike while we were there and no one weighed our bag so we didn't have to pay any overages. We got lucky...big time!!

I have checked the Munich locations of FedEx. All are very remote in some suburban towns. There´s nothing in town where you can drop a parcel. FedEx is picking up packages.

I´ve also checked the link for UPS. There´s only one location downtown (Marsstraße). But it´s also off track the - let´s say - tourist paths.

If you´re in a hotel you may ask the reception desk there to call UPS or FedEx to pick something up and ship it. I don´t have any experiences with either of them. So I can´t tell you whether your labels will work in Germany.

Do not try to sent anything by Deutsche Post (DHL). Our postal fees are horrible. A regular letter (up to 20 gramms) is 1.70 Euro, a heavier letter (100 - 500 g) is 8 Euro. A parcel (up to 2 kg) is 12.90 Euro. A heavier parcel (up to 5 kg) is 32 Euro. Up to 10 kg it´s 42 Euro, up to 20 kg it´s 62 Euro.

But at any post offices you can buy boxes.

steamboats

Mail Boxes Etc. is in a lot of places in Germany. They are affiliated with UPS. There is one about 2 or three blocks from the train station in Munich across the street from Kings Hotel Center. I don't know what they charge since we used the German Postal System to ship our stuff back.

Archived