Last minute specials?

MsWitty1

I am wanting to plan a cruise with a friend who is in a WC. She gets around great, but has CP and needs to make sure the room is accessible. I always see great last minute deals.

Does anyone have any experience booking these for an accessible cabin? Do these sell out so you are not able to get the low last minute rates?

Would love to take advantage, but would welcome advice!

It seems that they either sell out early or they are left and given out as upgrades to able bodied near sailing time. There are so few of them in general. All you can do is call and ask if any accessible cabins are available for whatever cruise you are interested in. You might want a few options in order to find something.

I usually have to book a year in advance to be able to get a Handicapped room. There are very few of these cabins on the ship. You have to compete with other disabled people and able bodied people who like to book them for the extra room.

I would love to get those reduced rates too. We tried this with an Alaska cruise one year. We ended up not going as we couldnt find an accessible cabin.

However here is a thread about some people who had some good luck.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=876145

Linda

When you realize that most cruise lines or travel agents book the HC cabins to those who don't need them, the chances of finding anything open will be a long shot. Just be forceful and tell them that they need to ascertain if EVERY one of their HC cabins are occupied by by disabled persons.

When you realize that most cruise lines or travel agents book the HC cabins to those who don't need them, the chances of finding anything open will be a long shot. Just be forceful and tell them that they need to ascertain if EVERY one of their HC cabins are occupied by by disabled persons.

You can tell them that but they are not going to do it. First of all it is illegal for them to ask the people booking are disabled or how they are disabled, second they don't want to go to the trouble.

It is a falicy that cruise lines will move an able bodied person out of a HC cabin if a disabled person needs it with very few exceptions. Now IF the cruise line itself has assigned the HC cabin to a able bodied person under a guarantee and a disabled person then call for it, they MAY upgrade the person in the cabin and give the disabled person the cabin. But that is about the only time.

You can tell them that but they are not going to do it. First of all it is illegal for them to ask the people booking are disabled or how they are disabled, second they don't want to go to the trouble.

That is technically not accurate. They can require a letter from your physician and many cruise lines do. Keep in mind that the ADA does not yet apply since the Access Board has yet to publish the cruise ship rules. Don't confuse this with job discrimination rules under the ADA.

We would have no issue with providing a doctors letter if it were required and I just wish that Princess would require one to help with the misuse of the cabins. That said I think you can find a doctor who for a fee will give people a letter for almost anything.

Hello,

I've heard about many people needing to book accessible rooms 6-18 months in advance, so I didn't have high hopes for getting a room for the cruise my DH and I are taking on the NCL Pearl 2/15/09.

When booking, I mentioned my disability to the TA and he got on the phone with NCL and found a room available for me! He originally said that I'd need to fill out a form, which I'm happy to do, but then they only asked what my disability was and if I'd be bringing a wheelchair.

Good luck with your search.

I booked my January 2009 cruise in November 2008. This past week I booked the Independence of the Seas for spring break this 2009, the week before Easter. i usually book waaay in advance, but and I am thinking that due to the crappy economy that more cabins, both h/c or not are available last minute.

I use a power chair full time.

All it takes is a call to see what is available.

Sherry

We just booked a cruise for March 2009 today. Used a website where TAs bid on cruises desired, and while 3 said there where no w/c rooms available, two said they could get me one, I got on the phone, they called Princess while I was booking with them on-line and confirmed the room we wanted. On the other hand, tried the same thing for a "last minute" Christmas cruise in early November with no luck at all....so if you do have flexible time, it can be worth looking, esp. if you are not trying for a peak time or want a unique cruise route.

Archived