Chances of bringing my favorite bottle of wiskey aboard Summit in San Juan

sixpackeddie

We have cruised on RCL and HAL many times and have been able to bring my favorite bottle of whiskey on via our checked luggage with no problems at all. We were on the Serenade last December and brought one bottle or whiskey on and had some friends even bring on a case of beer in their checked luggage.

Will the Celebrity screening process be any different than the other lines? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

TYVM:cool:

When sailing out of San Juan I have never had a problem with bring alcohol on board with any line I have sailed with.

The Piers in San Juan have liquor stores in them and I have always bought a couple of bottles of booze and put it in my carry on. That carry on has to go through screening and not one time has anyone taken it from me.

I am not trying to hide it or anything.

I was told that the people processing us at the cruise terminal are Puerto Rico employees not cruise line employees, so they don't care.

One day they may take it, and I will gladly give it to them.

Hope this answers your question.

Jan

We have cruised on RCL and HAL many times and have been able to bring my favorite bottle of whiskey on via our checked luggage with no problems at all. We were on the Serenade last December and brought one bottle or whiskey on and had some friends even bring on a case of beer in their checked luggage.

Will the Celebrity screening process be any different than the other lines? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

On our last cruise I had a bottle of coconut rum which I bought at the store before entering the ship. Ship personnel took it from my carry on and returned it at end of cruise. (one bottle). We had bought it for our DIL anyway. So I guess it will be luck of the draw on confiscation.

The wife and I normally bring at least a half doz bottles of wine on our cruises to enjoy with friends or alone on our balcony. Always put it in your checked baggage and you will be fine. We are from Canada and the wine here is far more expensive than I can get it for in the US. We fly down the day prior to the cruise with some bubble wrap in the suitcase, find the nearest wine store (which has never been more than 2 blocks!) and pack the stuff up. I brought a box from Canada in my checked bag on the last trip and no problems with the airlines breaking it.

Bottom line is you can pretty much get anything on in checked baggage.

Thanks for your comments. We are also from Canada and know how expensive wine and other liquor is. We bought a bottle of Wolf Blass 1.5 litre yellow lable for $8.99USD in Buffalo, NY. Here at the LCBO in Canada the same bottle is $24.80CND. We are so over taxed here.

Thanks again for your comments.

Craig

Sixpackeddie, as suggested make sure it is in your checked luggage. We also arrive the day before and make a few purchases. This past March; however, we encountered weather delays, and a rerouting, with an overnight stop, which resulted in our luggage going one way by the airline and us going the other way. We arrived in San Juan early afternoon w/o luggage, went directly to the ship, make a quick stop at the pier liquor store for two bottles of wine and walked on no issues. Many, many people were loading up on liquor and hand carrying it aboard - it was all "confiscated" by ship personnel for return at the end of the cruise. Go with the attitide of expect the worse and hope for the best. Being Canadian as well, the risk vs cost is well understood.

Going on the Summitt in April 09 so I plan on taking a couple of bottles in the checked luggage also. Have cruised on Princess, RCI, and Carnival and never had any problem with alcohol in the checked luggage. Hope this is true with Celebrity!

As a whiskey fan I need to know. What will you be bringing on board?:D

Keith

Not wanting a large bar bill, I researched the boards on taking our own liquor. Carnival made it easy when it came to wine, as they let you take one bottle in your carry-on luggage. I watched as mine sailed through without any problems. The question was how do I get my rum on board.

I read many recommendations, but I was concerned about a bottle breaking open in my luggage. Bubble wrap and a separate bag were brought along just for this. It was all for not. There is a liquor store in downtown Miami called Chandi Liquors. They had 750ml bottles of Captain Morgan rum in plastic bottles.

Bought two of those, along with a large mug with lid and had no problems with them in my checked luggage. Buy the soda card (buy it on day two to avoid paying Miami tax on it) and you are good to go.

Archived