Crane for Day

IHATESNOW

Just saw a show on travel channel about sexiest beaches. Crane was #17 on the list.

Then mentioned a place called Cutters where you can get a FF sandwich to go. Must be near the beach somewhere.....

Cutters is not conveniently placed.

It's stuck out on the road, about 150 yds away from Crane's entrance gates

..which in itself is some distance from the beach. You'll see.

You're not going to leave the beach to go to Cutters, trust me.

Go to Cutters before you go to the beach. They'll pack you a lunch. You won't feel like walking all the way back in the hot sun to get lunch after you're settled for the day. They have excellent cold cuts and fresh breads, but obviously if you get a hot sandwich, you'll have to eat it right away.

Even though Cutters is a deli, it's somewhat expensive. It would cost about the same to get lunch at Cutters as it would to have lunch at L'Azure. You might as well pay the beach entrance fee and use the credit at L'Azure. L'Azure has flying fish sandwiches, also. The food is very good and the prices for lunch are reasonable. Plus, you get to use the restrooms this way. There are no public restrooms at Crane Beach. L'Azure has indoor seating (for people in dry clothes) and some outside tables (wet bathing suit with cover up is ok).

If you go through the hotel you can use the elevator to get down to the beach. On the old stairway there is an outdoor cool water shower to rinse the salt off. The elevator, shower and old stairway belong to the hotel. They are not public.

Here we have two shots of the outside seating at the Crane restaurant, L'Azure and my favorite lunch from this restaurant (or any restaurant on the island, for that matter), caesar salad with grilled lobster tail.

2784463140100375545QywWdd_th.jpg2071728290100375545HSwdOk_th.jpg2230451810100375545UuAXel_th.jpg

Go to Cutters before you go to the beach. They'll pack you a lunch. You won't feel like walking all the way back in the hot sun to get lunch after you're settled for the day. They have excellent cold cuts and fresh breads, but obviously if you get a hot sandwich, you'll have to eat it right away.

Even though Cutters is a deli, it's somewhat expensive. It would cost about the same to get lunch at Cutters as it would to have lunch at L'Azure. You might as well pay the beach entrance fee and use the credit at L'Azure. L'Azure has flying fish sandwiches, also. The food is very good and the prices for lunch are reasonable. Plus, you get to use the restrooms this way. There are no public restrooms at Crane Beach. L'Azure has indoor seating (for people in dry clothes) and some outside tables (wet bathing suit with cover up is ok).

If you go through the hotel you can use the elevator to get down to the beach. On the old stairway there is an outdoor cool water shower to rinse the salt off. The elevator, shower and old stairway belong to the hotel. They are not public.

Here we have two shots of the outside seating at the Crane restaurant, L'Azure and my favorite lunch from this restaurant (or any restaurant on the island, for that matter), caesar salad with grilled lobster tail.

2784463140100375545QywWdd_th.jpg2071728290100375545HSwdOk_th.jpg2230451810100375545UuAXel_th.jpg

Thanks for this information

Is L'azure the Crane Resort Hotel Restaurant where the Hotel usuage fee can be applied to a meal? How did you get to Crane? Cab? Cab fare? How far is it from Cutters to the beach? Are you talking about the public access to the beach which I heard can be rocky? In order to use the hotel you do have to pay the $25 fee? Is that Barbados dollars?

Yes. L'Azure is part of the Crane Resort and you can use your entrance/access fee here towards lunch and/or drinks.

You can take a cab. I stay at the Crane every year and have always rented a car. I would take a cab if I was just there for the day. It's more expensive than the bus, but quicker - no stops. A cab is about $35 Bds each way, or $17.50 US each way. If you make friends on the ship before you get to Barbados, you can always share the cab to reduce the cost pp.

Yes. L'Azure is part of the Crane Resort and you can use your entrance/access fee here towards lunch and/or drinks.

You can take a cab. I stay at the Crane every year and have always rented a car. I would take a cab if I was just there for the day. It's more expensive than the bus, but quicker - no stops. A cab is about $35 Bds each way, or $17.50 US each way. If you make friends on the ship before you get to Barbados, you can always share the cab to reduce the cost pp.

Thanks for the info. I think we will go ahead and do that. I recorded the 21 Sexiest Beaches and Crane was one. Looks nice. Don't know how many they will take in a cab, but can work that out when we get there.

Thanks a lot for that information. Looks like a wonderful place to spend a few days, but we will be just doing a cruise stop. Shouldn't be any problem getting a cab back, hopefully. Any idea how long it takes to get to Crane from the Cruise port? How far is it?

.... Yes. $25 Bds or $12.50 US is what it was last year. I haven't been there since April. You can go the www.thecrane.com and look at pictures. I've never had pizza or a burger there, to me Barbados dining is all about the seafood, but here's a portion of the lunch menu. If I remember right a flying fish sandwich is about $10us/$20Bds and comes with fries. This restaurant has the chef who used to work at Sandy Lane.

A Sample of our Lunch Menu

Appetizers

Deep Fried Calamari with Harisa Sauce or Traditional Marinara

“Bajan” Fish Cakes (a famous local snack) Chef’s Homemade Soup (Changes daily)Salads

Caesar Salad - Romaine lettuce tossed in Caesar dressing with Croutons and Parmesan cheese

Classic Ceasar or with Lobster, Chicken or ShrimpGreek Salad - Feta cheese, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Red Onions, Black Olives and Italian dressing

Tossed Green Salad Fresh Fruit Platter served with your choice of Yoghurt or Cottage Cheese Sandwiches The Crane Club filled with Chicken, Bacon, Lettuce and TomatoesB.L.T - Bacon, Lettuce and Tomatoes

Chicken Salad Sandwich - Chopped Chicken Breast with Celery and Chives in a Baguette 6 oz Steak Sandwich served on a Sliced Baguette with Sautéed Onions

“The Oistins Flying Fish Burger” served on a Sesame Bun with Lettuce and Tomato Grilled 6 oz Burger - choice of regular, Cheese or Bacon and Cheese

The Crane’s “Mahi Mahi” Burger (Cheese optional) served on a Sesame Bun with Lettuce and Tomato

All Sandwiches are served with French Fries

Crane Specials & Grills

Grilled Catch of the Day with Mango Salsa West Indian Curried Chicken with Rice, Roti, Coconut and ChutneyFried Flying Fish with Local Seasonings

Served with Fresh Local Vegetables and your choice of Rice, Mash or French Fries

Pizza & Pasta

Penne with Pesto - Basil Pesto with thinly shaved Parmesan and Pine Nuts Seafood Linguini - A medley of Shrimp, Calamari and Red Snapper cooked in a Provencal Sauce Fettuccini Alfredo

VegetarianChickenSalmonShrimpThe Crane Pizza - A home made Thin-crusted Pizza with Tomato, Olive Oil and Basil Sauce, Mozzarella Cheese and served with three toppings of your choice: - Pineapple, Pepperoni, Mushroom, Onions, Minced Beef, Black Olives, Tomato, Bacon, Tuna, Sweet Corn, Red and Green Peppers Capers, Anchovies served with a side salad

It depends on traffic, but I'd guess 35 - 40 minutes. The drive is not beautiful the whole way, but there are glimpses of the coast and the drive is interesting. The Crane is about 10 minutes past the airport.

I saw that sexy beach show, too. The Crane is also on the "on demand" menu if you have Comcast. It's under the "world" category and not the travel category.

From the Crane's website, click on "Picture Experience" and then "Virtual Tours". The first one is of the beach & there is also one of the restaurants. When you click at the top on "Resort" scroll to the bottom of the page for a video.

It depends on traffic, but I'd guess 35 - 40 minutes. The drive is not beautiful the whole way, but there are glimpses of the coast and the drive is interesting. The Crane is about 10 minutes past the airport.

I saw that sexy beach show, too. The Crane is also on the "on demand" menu if you have Comcast. It's under the "world" category and not the travel category.

From the Crane's website, click on "Picture Experience" and then "Virtual Tours". The first one is of the beach & there is also one of the restaurants. When you click at the top on "Resort" scroll to the bottom of the page for a video.

Thanks again for all that information.

When I e-mailed Crane, the person responding stated that the daily use fee did not entitled you to use the pool, and the any chairs were $5/p extra. Do you know anything about that? Thanks in advance.

Yes. This is correct. The fee is for "beach access" & is NOT a day pass. The Crane does not issue/sell day passes. If they did it would be a lot more than $12.50. I recently paid $50pp at a Princess resort for a day pass. This included chair, towel & use of pool - no food/drink.

If you look closely at the pictures of the beach you see a long row of chairs and umbrellas. The ones closest to the resort are blue and further away are green. The $12.5bds does not allow you to use the blue Crane chairs and you can't rent them either. A private vendor rents the green chairs/umbrellas. This vendor also sells beverages. The resort is basically a hotel and restaurants. The access through the hotel is for customers. They consider a non guest having lunch to be a customer. I don't know how long they've had the access fee system going, but it works well.

The reason for this is that the chairs are limited and if they rented them there wouldn't be enough for hotel guests. The rooms are like huge apartments and go for $500 to $1500 a night. To own a week costs an average of $30K. I would be an unhappy Crane guest to pay all of that money and not get a chair. This resort is not looking to make a killing on day trippers having lunch. Their priority is to satisfy their guests.

The Crane has a beach staff who enforces this whole chair situation. They are very polite about it, but they know the guests. They even know which cruise line people are from from the towel colors.

Same situation with the pool. Pools are only for resort guests.

We're actually taking this year off and not going to Barbados & the Crane. This year we'll be cruisers instead - like you.

• 1 month later...
If not Pelican, try the Waterfront Cafe. I know they have the FF and the cou cou and perhaps more of your favorites......Plus it's close to the pier. Best wishes! :)

Mr Barbados I have a question for you. I am getting some help, but I wanted to get your take on it. Thanks in advance

CLICK BELOW for the question (new thread):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=938719

• 2 years later...
Yes. This is correct. The fee is for "beach access" & is NOT a day pass. The Crane does not issue/sell day passes. If they did it would be a lot more than $12.50. I recently paid $50pp at a Princess resort for a day pass. This included chair, towel & use of pool - no food/drink.

If you look closely at the pictures of the beach you see a long row of chairs and umbrellas. The ones closest to the resort are blue and further away are green. The $12.5bds does not allow you to use the blue Crane chairs and you can't rent them either. A private vendor rents the green chairs/umbrellas. This vendor also sells beverages. The resort is basically a hotel and restaurants. The access through the hotel is for customers. They consider a non guest having lunch to be a customer. I don't know how long they've had the access fee system going, but it works well.

The reason for this is that the chairs are limited and if they rented them there wouldn't be enough for hotel guests. The rooms are like huge apartments and go for $500 to $1500 a night. To own a week costs an average of $30K. I would be an unhappy Crane guest to pay all of that money and not get a chair. This resort is not looking to make a killing on day trippers having lunch. Their priority is to satisfy their guests.

The Crane has a beach staff who enforces this whole chair situation. They are very polite about it, but they know the guests. They even know which cruise line people are from from the towel colors.

Same situation with the pool. Pools are only for resort guests.

We're actually taking this year off and not going to Barbados & the Crane. This year we'll be cruisers instead - like you.

Came across these old post. As it turned out, my Son in Law on the cruise with us knew the family of Crane House so we went to crane beach, but visited next door. You can see the house from Crane Hotel. Very nice visit and the host ordered the flying fish sandwichs. It is a most beautiful house an grounds.

Came across these old post. As it turned out, my Son in Law on the cruise with us knew the family of Crane House so we went to crane beach, but visited next door. You can see the house from Crane Hotel. Very nice visit and the host ordered the flying fish sandwichs. It is a most beautiful house an grounds.

Joe.....Could you elaborate on that please. I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about. Thanks!

Joe.....Could you elaborate on that please. I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about. Thanks!

There is a private home next to the Crane Beach hotel. We visited the private home.

Archived