Miracle "Propulsion Problem" & Carnival Question?

Jackrjc

Hmmmm I guess no one realizes that RCI had changed itineraries that included Panama as well....think again, it might not really only be the occasional azipod issue.....

What changes has RCCL made to their Panama itineraries? I haven't seen them.

I havent personally looked but at least 6 familes I know that had rci panama cruises booked had itinerary changes. It didnt effect us, so honestly I can find out which but it didnt matter to us as we couldnt book with them.

The possibility is significant rise in docking fees........when it becomes multiple CL's.

Could be totally wrong, but some folks beleive it could be the reason.

(Royals Jewel-12/21/09 was definitely one of them I just remembered,lol)

I havent personally looked but at least 6 familes I know that had rci panama cruises booked had itinerary changes. It didnt effect us, so honestly I can find out which but it didnt matter to us as we couldnt book with them.

Those cruises are still visiting Panama though. They just aren't entering the canal. They are actually doing what Carnival had originally planned for the Miracle which is dock at Colon for excursions.

Just got off the Miracle today (southern caribbean) and she hauled butt. We made all ports with no problems.

Just for curiosity, do you know how many knots the ship was moving?

I don't especially like reading into this or assuming anything with a lack of information and facts, but if there are no problems with propulsion on 14 Dec, how can they know there will be propulsion problems on 15 Dec?

It would be nice if Carnival would post clearly and fully what is going on with the Miracle on their website and how they anticipate it will affect or not affect future cruises. As I said before, I would appreciate the opportunity to change plans if they know there is a problem they cannot fix.

Actually, there are a few ways to know how many knots the ship is traveling at: turn on your tv - one or two of the channels always have a map, with speed, ongitude, latitude, etc., on it, so you can track where you are at any given time. I haven't been on Miracle yet (7 days to go) but every other Carnival ship has had a large electronic map on the promenade deck (actually, near the sushi bar) that shows the route, knots etc. It is actually pretty cool to see, and usually has people around it tracking where we have been, and where we are going.

The good news is that Carnival informed us via email that the itinerary for the 16 Jan Miracle cruise has changed. This is good news because Carnival did not wait until a few days before we sailed to inform us. At the beginning of this thread I stated my opinion that they should not withhold this information from their customers. They did the correct thing and notified us now.

So the bad news is that we are still very disappointed, but not at Carnival. I don't think they would want this problem any more than us. Our disappointment is because we were at three of the four ports on the new Miracle itinerary in January 08 on the Legend.

I have not called Carnival yet, so I do not know what my options are. The email did not say, it just showed the new itinerary and said there would be a $50 OBC.

Has anybody under these circumstances ever switch a booking from one Carnival ship to another?

What ever we choose to do we still plan on having a great 19 day vacation, which will include a cruise.

Those cruises are still visiting Panama though. They just aren't entering the canal. They are actually doing what Carnival had originally planned for the Miracle which is dock at Colon for excursions.

Wow! are they really?? I will pass along this info to my friends. I wonder now if they know and are just so annoyed they're leaving out that they ARE going to Panama just not through the canal?? Thanks wrp!

(our itinerary was changed, not going to St Lucia next week, going to Grand Turk, Im very ok with the change) If anyone has any good info to pass along, feel free! cruisedivanj at yahoo

I read on two other theads that the Miracle has changed the Western Caribbean Itinerary for the next sailing due to propulsion problems. I seem to remember reading that the Miracle had this problem when sailing from New York some months ago.

Does anyone have any detailed knowledge of this?

Does this problem come and go?

In the past, has it been Carnival's practice to notify customers as far in advance as possible or wait until a week or a few days before sailing?

If there is no plan for Carnival to fix the problem, wouldn't this change the Western Caribbean itinerary for all sailings after 15 Dec?

And, If this is the case why would they not tell us now?

The fact that something suddenly goes wrong (engine, weather, etc,) and the itinerary has to change I think most people can understand and move on. However, I would be very disappointed to say the least if Carnival knew of future changes to a cruise and withheld the information. I do not think they would do this, anyway I sure hope not.

As of 12/16/08 Gary and I were sent a e-mail from Carnival Has changed the itinerary, which is Great we think..1/17 leave, 1/18 @ sea, 1/19 Cozumel 8-5, 1/20 Costa Maya 8-5, 1/21 Belize 8-5, 1/22 Roatan 8-5, 1/23 and 1/24 @ sea 1/25 Home (darn)

Thanks for the reminder, Figs. You can still be disappointed, even if you read your contract. :rolleyes: I think it's probably compounded some with the Western itin. since Panama and Costa Rica are what a lot of people consider "once in a lifetime" sort of destinations.

I also know that the vast majority of people will NEVER read their contract. They don't care and it bores them. I've said it before - I see people sign for hundreds of thousands of dollars for a mortgage all of the time without reading a thing they are signing. So why on earth would they stop to read a cruise contract? Of course it doesn explain some of this financial mess we are in. :rolleyes:

F.Y.I. - Carnival has changed our January 8th itinerary (Southern). I was not informed by Carnival. Rather I went in and looked at my e-documents on the Carnival website and noticed the change.

They have substituted Tortola for St. Lucia. This is disappointing only because the shore excursions on St. Lucia looked the best.

Received e mail from Carnival this morning and December 23rd. itinerary has dropped St. Lucia and added Grand Turk with a change of sequence in ports.

Itinerary is now:

Tue. Ft. Lauderdale

Wed. At sea

Thur. At sea

Fri. St. Maarten 9am - 6pm

Sat. St. Kitts 8am - 5pm

Sun. At sea

Mon. Grand Turk 7am - 4pm

Tue. At sea

Wed. Ft. Lauderdale

Of course we had just booked shore excursions so we have to try to make changes.

F.Y.I. - Carnival has changed our January 8th itinerary (Southern). I was not informed by Carnival. Rather I went in and looked at my e-documents on the Carnival website and noticed the change.

They have substituted Tortola for St. Lucia. This is disappointing only because the shore excursions on St. Lucia looked the best.

Yes, all four Southern itineraries before the drydock repair are being changed.

For 1/8, St. Lucia is being replaced with Tortola

For 12/23, 1/24, and 2/9, St. Lucia is being replaced with Grand Turk.

Also (at least for the 12/23, 1/24, and 2/9 sailings) the sea days are changed up a little.

Used to be:

Ft. Lauderdale

Sea Day

Sea Day

St. Maarten

St. Lucia

St. Kitts

Sea Day

Sea Day

Ft. Lauderdale

Now its:

Ft. Lauderdale

Sea Day

Sea Day

St. Maarten

St. Kitts

Sea Day

Grand Turk

Sea Day

Ft. Lauderdale

I'm assuming this itinerary change only effects the cruises prior to dry dock?

Karen

Yeah, it appears that all the Southern sailings after drydock resume with St. Lucia... and all the Western sailings will resume with their original itineraries.

Just returned from the southern carribean itenerary on the 15th. We had a great time. Did speak with one of the cruise directors on board one day and he confirmed the ship is only able to run on half power of one of the engines. Also be aware that the ships stabilizers are not working at all, so prepare if motion sickness is an issue. That information about the stabilizers was also from Pip one of the cruise directors. Ship was noticibly rocking with seas that were not that bad

Just returned from the southern carribean itenerary on the 15th. We had a great time. Did speak with one of the cruise directors on board one day and he confirmed the ship is only able to run on half power of one of the engines. Also be aware that the ships stabilizers are not working at all, so prepare if motion sickness is an issue. That information about the stabilizers was also from Pip one of the cruise directors. Ship was noticibly rocking with seas that were not that bad

Thank you for the update. That's the first I've read of stabilizer issues. Ugh. We are supposed to be on the Feb 17th sailing right before drydock. :(

Yes, as I said, it was Pip, one of the assisstent cruise directors. He and I were talking during the Walk for the Cure walk on deck on the 3rd sea day. I made a comment about having heard that the stabilizers were not working, and he comfirmed that indeed, the ship did not have working stabilizers and it was to be repaired during the dry dock. The ship is long and narrow and tends to roll a bit any way. I certainly noticed the rocking and rolling of the ship, but it was not as bad as when I have been on a ship with a nearby hurricane. I am also very sensitive to motion sickness, so I was glad to be prepared. Had almost thought I wouldn't need to bring the patches with me since it wasn't during hurricane season, glad that I did.

I am on the January 16th sailing and they have changed the ports. It looks like she just does not move as fast as she used to:(. I cannot change because I am getting married in port and it would be extremely difficult to switch itineraries. Although I am a little disappointed because I was looking forward to Panama and Costa Rica. That is why I chose this sailing. I am sure it will be a good time regardless of the ports

I am on the January 16th sailing and they have changed the ports. It looks like she just does not move as fast as she used to:(. I cannot change because I am getting married in port and it would be extremely difficult to switch itineraries. Although I am a little disappointed because I was looking forward to Panama and Costa Rica. That is why I chose this sailing. I am sure it will be a good time regardless of the ports

I hope you are getting married in Belize? :)

I am sailing right before drydock and am disappointed in not being able to take the Panama Canal excursion. But it would seem there is a lot of snorkeling in the new ports so I am happy about that. Plus I've never been to any of the ports so it will all be new to me!

Enjoy your cruise and hopefully the problems don't get worse! :eek:

Archived